Explorer ST front laser head placement

hifibrucep

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I just bought this 2021 Explorer ST and am wanting to re-install my laser system that I took out of my previous vehicle. The slots in the factory grill are to small for the regular heads to fit into without having to modify the grill. I do not want to cut the slots bigger in the new grill. I have attached a photo of where I think the best location would be without modifying my vehicle and would like opinions on if this placement will properly jam the harder guns. I can Place the TX head into the slots.

Attachments

• Laser Jammer Placement.jpg
    Laser Jammer Placement.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 47

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Those spots should work ok, the thing you will need to do is make sure you pull the RX heads forward enough so they stick out a little and have a good line of sight to the headlight area. if that red trim piece between the slot where you are putting the RX heads and the main grill blocks the line of sight between the rx head and the headlight the performance may struggle a little against the harder guns especially up close.

Bocephus

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
First off I hate to say it but that front license plate isn't going to help. You might consider removing it all together.

Second it looks like the 6th gen "open" area is even lower than the 5th gen. I have a 5th gen and did the same open area on mine without having to modify it, and so does @Dukes. Mine is good against DEC, but I get punch throughs sub 500 feet. Do a search on here to see if there is a tester nearby who might be able to get you tested with a temporary setup. That will tell you the best location.

BTW congrats on the ST. I'm running a stage II from Livernois on my Sport, and the thing is a beast for a family car.

hifibrucep

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Those spots should work ok, the thing you will need to do is make sure you pull the RX heads forward enough so they stick out a little and have a good line of sight to the headlight area. if that red trim piece between the slot where you are putting the RX heads and the main grill blocks the line of sight between the rx head and the headlight the performance may struggle a little against the harder guns especially up close.
thanks for the help. If I use this location I will make sure they are a little forward of the bumper
Post automatically merged:

First off I hate to say it but that front license plate isn't going to help. You might consider removing it all together.

Second it looks like the 6th gen "open" area is even lower than the 5th gen. I have a 5th gen and did the same open area on mine without having to modify it, and so does @Dukes. Mine is good against DEC, but I get punch throughs sub 500 feet. Do a search on here to see if there is a tester nearby who might be able to get you tested with a temporary setup. That will tell you the best location.

BTW congrats on the ST. I'm running a stage II from Livernois on my Sport, and the thing is a beast for a family car.
From the ground to the middle of the regular heads would be 26 1/2" if this location is used. thanks for your help. I love my ST. Did you post install photos of your vehicle?

Last edited:

Gatortotz

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Congrats - those things must be absolute rockets.

I'd suggest bringing the TX head up a bit to be just below the ford logo even if it's off center a little bit

Bocephus

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
thanks for the help. If I use this location I will make sure they are a little forward of the bumper
Post automatically merged:

From the ground to the middle of the regular heads would be 26 1/2" if this location is used. thanks for your help. I love my ST. Did you post install photos of your vehicle?
Here is a link to the testing with my Exploder: https://www.rdforum.org/threads/95389/

That will give you all the information you need!

Dukes

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

I actually traded mine in last year and got the ST now :)

Bocephus

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I actually traded mine in last year and got the ST now :)
Can you comment to the placement if you have a setup install? Congrats by the way on the ST! Glad Ford went back to the inline drivetrain.

Dukes

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Can you comment to the placement if you have a setup install? Congrats by the way on the ST! Glad Ford went back to the inline drivetrain.

I haven't tested my set up yet, but his placement is how I've got mine (no front plate). Had a few DET saves but no official testing or anything.

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I do not want to cut the slots bigger in the new grill.
If you're willing to do so, you'll be able to choose an optimized position but also make for a more discreet install. Otherwise, go with what you suggested and test it to see how it works.

darkhonda

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
How about the area near the fog lights? looks like there is a small black area directly above the lens that would get you a lot closer to the headlights but might not require cutting the grill

Dukes

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
How about the area near the fog lights? looks like there is a small black area directly above the lens that would get you a lot closer to the headlights but might not require cutting the grill

Having them spaced out that far out when using a TX isn't optimal and will likely lead to poor performance against DET guns

hifibrucep

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I can buy a new grill but it's a little pricey. There are active shutters behind the the grill that close when you are at highway speeds so this will limit my mounting locations. I think I will order a new grill and modify the slots for the regular heads. The regular heads will have to be placed two to 3 rows up from the bottom and 2 to 3 slots over to miss the shutter housing. If I go 2 slots over I will have to cut a small amount from the corner of the housing but this should not interfere with the operation of the shutters. The 2 slots located closer to the ford emblem will not need the shutter housing modified. I will have to make a mounting bracket so I can attach the head brackets to. I have updated the photo of the regular head locations.

Attachments

• Laser head location in grill.jpg
    Laser head location in grill.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 13

Easy Target

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Congrats on the ST, I love mine. I traded my 2017 Ex Sport for it and the difference between the 2 vehicles is a galaxy apart. I couldn't stand the handling of the Ex Sport and a hard launch with the FWD bias just felt weird and torque steered pretty badly, the ST feels so buttoned down in comparison.

With a tune, these things are a rocket from a standstill, TC off, power brake to 2200rpms (or until the rears slip a bit) and hold on!

hifibrucep

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Congrats on the ST, I love mine. I traded my 2017 Ex Sport for it and the difference between the 2 vehicles is a galaxy apart. I couldn't stand the handling of the Ex Sport and a hard launch with the FWD bias just felt weird and torque steered pretty badly, the ST feels so buttoned down in comparison.

With a tune, these things are a rocket from a standstill, TC off, power brake to 2200rpms (or until the rears slip a bit) and hold on!
What tune do you use. It it easy to convert back to factory if you have to take it in for service?

Dukes

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
What tune do you use. It it easy to convert back to factory if you have to take it in for service?

My ST is tuned by Palm beach dyno. Very easy to swap back to stock. I would highly recommend you upgrade the intercooler (especially if you plan on tuning). The stock one is way to small and complete garbage. The new one still retains all factory features like the active grille shutters which is great. Look at the size difference lol

30FA4CAE-C9EB-4D7A-813C-E64AF8B01778.jpeg

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgtmac