RL360C 1.8 Big 3 Shootout Part 1 35.5 and K Band

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
Today I did some more testing. I planned on doing 33.8, 34.7, 35.5, and K band on the RL360C with 1.8 firmware, V1G2, R7, R3, and V1G1. However weather interfered with my plans. I was able to get testing done on 35.5 and K band with the RL360C 1.8, V1G2, and R7.

The source is a Kustom Golden Eagle with a 35.5 Ka band Antenna with the frequency measured at 35.5 Ghz and K band antenna measured at 24.144 Ghz

The settings are as follows:

For 35.5:

RL360C and R7: Highway, Ka Narrow 2,4,5,6,8
V1G2: All bogeys mode, no custom frequencies

K Settings:

RL360C:
K wide
K notch On
TSR On
MRCD Off

R7:
K Wide
K Block 1 Weak
K Block 2 Weak
K Filter On
MRCD On
TSF on

V1G2:
K Verifier On

The test location is a road called Hat 6, it's a two-lane road with very few trees, lots of sage brush, long winding turns and elevation changes.

Here is a map of the course where the cluster of 35.5 detections were collected:

Hat 6 Long Range.jpg

The radar antenna was mounted on a tripod shooting parallel to the road with the tripod located next to a gravel pile. This is a common place for our local Sheriff's deputies to set up shop with a speed trap. I tried to duplicate how they sit as best I could. All 3 detectors were mounted high near the center top of the windshield. R7 on the right side of the Rearview Mirror, RL360C on the left, V1G2 to the left of the RL360C. All runs were done one detector at a time.

20210418_105830.jpg

Here are the results from the 35.5 long range detections:

Hat 6 35.5 Long Range Data.jpg

As you can see, there is a clustering of detections, apparently the radar has a significant signal at that particular location. During the testing, I noticed that the detectors behaved differently driving towards the source. All 3 would lose the signal rather quickly. The V1G2 consistently picked the signal up at two specific locations, but now the RL360C picks up near the 2nd location (at the side road turnaround area (R7 still would not pick it up at that location no matter how long I sat there):

Hat 6 V1G2 2nd detection.jpg

And:

Hat 6 V1G2 3rd detection.jpg

All 3 clustered near the last spot where they would alert continuously:

Hat 6 Constant Detection Cluster.jpg

Here is the data from that testing (these are all averages of the 3 runs, the graphs got messy when doing the individual runs, the deviation for each detector was well under 1%).:

Hat 6 35.5 Multiple Detection.jpg

I also did testing on the Forward Facing detection range (coming from the opposite direction from behind the radar source):

Hat 6 35.5 FF.jpg

On K band, it was a different story. All 3 were able to alert reliably at the turnaround at the second location, but not while driving on the road. While driving, the detections were all clustered at the same as the constant detection cluster for Ka.

Here is the K band data from those alerts while driving:

Hat 6 K Constant.jpg

As you can see, they all pretty much clustered around the same area, I think I will need a better location to separate the alerts, as it's essentially a wash with these results.

Here is the FF K band data:

Hat 6 K FF.jpg

From those results, it would appear that the RL360C is better with forward facing constant on and the R7 is weakest.

I want to add high bogey count data to the mix:

On K band, all 3 detectors reported 1 bogey throughout the entire run past the source.

On 35.5, the RL360C reported 3 bogeys on one run, the V1G2 only reported 1 the entire time, and the R7 reported up to 4 bogeys every time passing the source. Keep in mind, this is an area where there is no other RF interference and no other radar sources. Traffic was very light (I counted a total of 16 cars over the period of 5 hours of me being out there).

If the weather holds out tomorrow, I will be posting results from 33.8 and 34.7 in part 2.

Last edited:

jestric

Go Gators!
Premium Plus
Corgi Lovers
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@Rags, You said that you had TSF on for the RL360C. Did you mean TSR?

I was also wondering, (and you may have already covered this previously, if you have I apologize in advance) why do you enable TSR on the RL360C since it further reduces K band performance?

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
@Rags, You said that you had TSF on for the RL360C. Did you mean TSR?

I was also wondering, (and you may have already covered this previously, if you have I apologize in advance) why do you enable TSR on the RL360C since it further reduces K band performance?
Yes, I mean TSR. I will edit it. I use TSF, TSR, and TMF interchangeably. It's a bad habit, I know.

I leave it on because it cuts down on the false alerts while driving. I can't run it with it off otherwise it will lock out most of the K band spectrum in several stretches of roads here where the rail companies use K band to monitor traffic. These tracks run parallel for many miles to the interstate.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yes, I mean TSR. I will edit it. I use TSF, TSR, and TMF interchangeably. It's a bad habit, I know.

I leave it on because it cuts down on the false alerts while driving. I can't run it with it off otherwise it will lock out most of the K band spectrum in several stretches of roads here where the rail companies use K band to monitor traffic. These tracks run parallel for many miles to the interstate.
Thanks again for your time, effort, and $$ spent testing and writing up the results. And thanks for the explanation of why you tested with TSR on. I was wondering.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks again for your time, effort, and $$ spent testing and writing up the results. And thanks for the explanation of why you tested with TSR on. I was wondering.
I retested today with it on and off.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Livsy