TMG 8.14 Out ?

Marty K

Always Driving Vigilantly
Advanced User
Reaction score
If you push the update button on the CPU again does it say "updated or aborted" or something like that, it might take it out of the loop.
That button was totally unresponsive. Never announced anything when tried to upload the algo update.

Thank you for your suggestions! I dug up an ancient iPhone 4s with iOS 9.3.5 and that did the trick. Back to normal.

I am sure there is some logic (rational reasoning) behind the Android issue, but from an end-user perspective, it just does not make sense why all of a sudden a firmware update would jack your LJ system because you use a specific mobile device OS. Especially when your Android device hasn't had any OS or App updates since last times you have successfully applied such algo updates...

surprisinguy

Government can only give what it takes...
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
My update with a samsung s8 went smoothly

VariableWave

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
After todays testing with @Kennyc56 setup, 8.14 on regular (nonVPR system) with DE and variant of, a total mix bag to :smithicide:.PTs more so on Variant, vs DE supported on gun. Did test a vehicle with VPR setup, and did much better... so I am going with TMG on VPR system with DE/LA, you will need VPR period, and anything not VPR you are covered with 2 or three heads.

More testing come in May with @asleeper and @viggendriver .
Post automatically merged:

Technically you could. But the firmware is so tightly embedded in the app that I’m not sure there’s a way to extract and save an older version. I don’t see anywhere that anyone has been able to save the older versions.

The bigger question you have to ask yourself is; if, as testing appears to show that 8.14 works better, why would you want to go back to less protection?

That does suck as a tester. Port is their, but having that PC app vs Mobile to rollback when. I don't agree that one could not, especially with testers and reporting.

Last edited:

Vancity23

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
After todays testing with @Kennyc56 setup, 8.14 on regular (nonVPR system) with DE and variant of, a total mix bag to :smithicide:.PTs more so on Variant, vs DE supported on gun. Did test a vehicle with VPR setup, and did much better... so I am going with TMG on VPR system with DE/LA, you will need VPR period, and anything not VPR you are covered with 2 or three heads.

More testing come in May with @asleeper and @viggendriver .

Thanks for the testing. Look forward to hearing more.

The Pope

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Ok.... When I did the 8.13 update a few weeks ago, all went fine with my Samsung Galaxy 8+ (no Android updates between these two Algo Updates).

Now skip ahead to yesterday (5/2/2021)... even knowing that 8.14 was having some loading issues, I decided to try to update my TMG. Well........ things didn't work as smoothly as it did with 8.13

I up loaded 8.14, got the "update aborted" message. The screen showed that the Algo was now 8.14 (just like it did when I updated to 8.13), but the UDT (Update Button) will not toggle to off when I press it now. Even after powering the CPU down (button AND pulling the power cable) and back up several times, the UDT button is still on. I also pressed the Reset Button, but I didn't hold it the 10 seconds like someone mentioned, I'll try holding the reset for more that 10 seconds later today and report back. I'm going to also redownload the app as well.

When I open the app, it shows that the Algo on the CPU is 8.14......
So.... now I'm not sure if my issue is an Algo or Hardware issue.....

Maybe I should try to meetup with @VariableWave and let him attempt the install of 8.14 to my CPU. This would eliminate my Samsung Galaxy 8+ from the equation.

Last edited:

Marty K

Advanced User
Reaction score
Ok.... When I did the 8.13 update a few weeks ago, all went fine with my Samsung Galaxy 8+ (no Android updates between these two Algo Updates).

Now skip ahead to yesterday (5/2/2021)... even knowing that 8.14 was having some loading issues, I decided to try to update my TMG. Well........ things didn't work as smoothly as it did with 8.13

I up loaded 8.14, got the "update aborted" message. The screen showed that the Algo was now 8.14 (just like it did when I updated to 8.13), but the UDT (Update Button) will not toggle to off when I press it now. Even after powering the CPU down (button AND pulling the power cable) and back up several times, the UDT button is still on. I also pressed the Reset Button, but I didn't hold it the 10 seconds like someone mentioned, I'll try holding the reset for more that 10 seconds later today and report back. I'm going to also redownload the app as well.

When I open the app, it shows that the Algo on the CPU is 8.14......
So.... now I'm not sure if my issue is an Algo or Hardware issue.....

Maybe I should try to meetup with @VariableWave and let him attempt the install of 8.14 to my CPU. This would eliminate my Samsung Galaxy 8+ from the equation.
@The Pope,
Read my posts here (#34, 36, and 42) - same issue. Using iOS device takes care of this issue.
I am just not happy with how this is handled. We have no info on why is this happening, we had an update that was pulled off the server, and according to @VariableWave testing results are not that great...

The Pope

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Update....

(I don't have access to an iOS Device)
Removed App from phone (Samsung Galaxy 8+)
Redownloaded App
Powered Up CPU and held in the Reset Button for more than 10 Seconds (multiple times).
Uploaded Algo.

Results...
It "appears" to have uploaded and I was finally able to get the UDT switched off. I did switch the UDT switch/button off and on a few times and it did want to stay on several of those times. So once I had it off after cycling it a few times, I left it alone.....

So..... it "appears" to be all good now.

Marty K

Advanced User
Reaction score
Update....

(I don't have access to an iOS Device)
Removed App from phone (Samsung Galaxy 8+)
Redownloaded App
Powered Up CPU and held in the Reset Button for more than 10 Seconds (multiple times).
Uploaded Algo.

Results...
It "appears" to have uploaded and I was finally able to get the UDT switched off. I did switch the UDT switch/button off and on a few times and it did want to stay on several of those times. So once I had it off after cycling it a few times, I left it alone.....

So..... it "appears" to be all good now.
I did have the same result after messing with it multiple times. Just keep in mind that next time you try to re-apply the same update (not saying you would need to, just as a test) - you will have the same problem again. Unless they fix it altogether via an Android app update or whatever it takes.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
It's interesting/frustrating to see some people have issues with updates when others don't. Too many unknown variables to pin the issue on any one thing so far it seems. I've had no issues with the last two recent updates with my Android phone, but that's just me.

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
No issues updating 2x non VPR cpus to 8.14 with a Galaxy S9. Did take 2-3x longer than usual though, but it worked nonetheless.

One issue I've noticed is that after updating the first CPU to the latest firmware, the app shows the 2nd CPU already has the latest FW. Loads latest FW just fine when pushing to the 2nd CPU. This has always been the case for the past 2 yrs. Essentially the app is not a valid means of determining which FW is installed on a CPU.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
No issues updating 2x non VPR cpus to 8.14 with a Galaxy S9. Did take 2-3x longer than usual though, but it worked nonetheless.

One issue I've noticed is that after updating the first CPU to the latest firmware, the app shows the 2nd CPU already has the latest FW. Loads latest FW just fine when pushing to the 2nd CPU. This has always been the case for the past 2 yrs. Essentially the app is not a valid means of determining which FW is installed on a CPU.
I think it's reading the file stored in the phone and that plays a part in this. :)

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I think it's reading the file stored in the phone and that plays a part in this. :)
Ah yep that makes sense. Any reason why the app couldn't be updated to read the cpu instead? Just a nice-to-have really and not a showstopper by any means.

VariableWave

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have not had the issues with Android as others. I use LG phones, and times its that Duh moment, forgot to hit this or that. Its just that right sequence for me. I did 4 cpus in one week. Scan for and/or reset connection, or that miss hitting that update on CPU is my issue.

goodtimes40

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yes, I just found out. This one is for new Laser Algos.
Hey Jack my problem is a little different I went out to update it through the app and it updated my non-ppr 28.12 but the UDT red light is staying on it won't go off even if I press it everytime I turn my car on it's announcing open app start transferring it wants to keep transferring 8.14. And it's also asking me to transfer control to a much higher version as well can you give me a little help on this cuz right now I got no laser protection at all

Hey Jack my problem is a little different I went out to update it through the app and it updated my non-ppr 28.12 but the UDT red light is staying on it won't go off even if I press it everytime I turn my car on it's announcing open app start transferring it wants to keep transferring 8.14. And it's also asking me to transfer control to a much higher version as well can you give me a little help on this cuz right now I got no laser protection at all
It says it successfully did the 8.1 for algorithm update but it's not doing the control update

Also it never gave me an option to go from 8.12 to 8.13 it went straight to 8.12 to 8.14on. Non VPR system

Also it never gave me an option to go from 8.12 to 8.13 it went straight to 8.12 to 8.14on. Non VPR system
My update with a samsung s8 went smoothly
Did you just change your algorithm to 8.14 and leave your control alone or did you change the control as well cuz I'm having an issue where 8.14 went through but it keeps asking me to open the app and it keeps trying to reload

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coach Ron