Uniden R7 - level enough???

Acedj

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi all!
I’m based in NZ and I’m very new to the whole detector thing. I’ve recently changed from the top model Whistler (which actually gave great range but a tonne of false alerts) to a newly purchased Uniden R7.
I have had this hardwired but my question for all of you great people is how much does it matter if it’s not completely level?

Since receiving my vehicle back from having it hardwired I would estimate that it’s pointed up by between 5-6 degrees. Unfortunately it is on a permanent mount and I would need to find a way to peel off and replace this to get it more level than it is now because it has no room to tilt down more.
Thanks in advance for your advice!
B9A4A69F-B531-4FC2-B5E5-6E4EB5A4BC3F.jpeg
E5AD5A10-1B94-49CD-B8A9-9F05ED410204.jpeg

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
I think you’re close enough. If it bugs you over time, the permanent mount is held on with VHB tape and can be replaced easily. I use a plastic interior tool to peel them off to change things. Currently, I‘m using dual lock with my mounts so I can swap detectors which each had permanent mounts installed. I sold my R7 so now only have one detector but the dual lock holds as well as the VHB did and provides flexibility. The negative with dual lock is the white backing that can be seen through the glass easier than the black color of the VHB.

midd

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
First and First, the Nexus of the Universe
Looks good. To be honest, they don't have to be perfectly level as a RD "listens" for frequencies. As long as the antenna are not looking up or down, you won't notice a difference if its not perfectly level. Laser is another story.

Acedj

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Looks good. To be honest, they don't have to be perfectly level as a RD "listens" for frequencies. As long as the antenna are not looking up or down, you won't notice a difference if its not perfectly level. Laser is another story.
Thank you! I hoped that this would be the case. I travel a lot for work (around 75,000ks per year) and decided that it was time to invest in a quality detector but was worried the install wasn’t quite right.

I mostly want this for Radar detection anyway, from my understanding unless you have laser jamming then laser detection is more often than not just telling you that you’ve already been caught?
Post automatically merged:

I think you’re close enough. If it bugs you over time, the permanent mount is held on with VHB tape and can be replaced easily. I use a plastic interior tool to peel them off to change things. Currently, I‘m using dual lock with my mounts so I can swap detectors which each had permanent mounts installed. I sold my R7 so now only have one detector but the dual lock holds as well as the VHB did and provides flexibility. The negative with dual lock is the white backing that can be seen through the glass easier than the black color of the VHB.
Thanks for your reply :) If it isn’t going to have a negative impact on my detection range I will try and leave it alone. I have slight OCD when it comes to getting things like this “just right” so I’ll see how I get on. I’m hoping if I ignore it for long enough I’ll stop thinking about it 😅

I used a level to check and believe it’s tilted between 5-6 degrees upwards.

Last edited:

Riptide

Recovering M3 Addict
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
That would not be acceptable in my vehicle. Looks like the type of mount thats held on with 3M VHB tape, would be fairly easy to remove it, add more tape, and then remount it slightly lower so the metal can be bent to aim the detector level.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yeah, that would not fly for me. I'd remove it and level it out.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
They have Dual Lock with clear adhesive.

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
Redo it 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔😎😎😎🤔😎😎

Enuff said

Benzr

zappy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'm going to disagree with most here. I think it is fine as far as detection goes. If you are OCD then it probably won''t fly. In that case re-level it but there will be no gain in detection range. It's not far off enough to have an effect in detection. However, can you reach the top buttons? Does it pull down? If not, that would bother me.

Bocephus

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
It’s all a matter of opinion without being able to test it, but if it were me I would level it out. Especially since the buttons are on top of the RD.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I'd peel it off, bend the mount until it sits level, then restick it. A 20 min job at worst.
That's a very dodgy install from a "pro". I'm a bit OCD about having the detector level in both planes and pointing straight. You can buy very small bubble levels for a coupla bucks.

Acedj

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone!
I took it down, remounted it with some new super strength tape (took a couple of times to get it right). It turns out there isn’t enough room to have it completely level but I’ve managed to get it within 2 degrees of level and it’s only noticeable if you focus really hard on it. Top buttons aren’t usable while mounted but I knew this would be the case. I have a hardwire kit which gives me a remote mute button and whenever I need to access the top buttons (hardly ever) I take it down to program.

I am definitely not missing out on range with it being very slightly off level now, latest detection was 3.1km.

Last edited:

IsItWorthIt

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thats what I use and through the glass it looks white because you can see the lock portion. At least it looks white to me.
3M makes dual lock in black and clear versions. I purchased black dual lock, for another application, from Home Depot. The package I bought has two 1 inch x 15 feet rolls and cost about $30. But I think they had smaller packages too.

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
3M makes dual lock in black and clear versions. I purchased black dual lock, for another application, from Home Depot. The package I bought has two 1 inch x 15 feet rolls and cost about $30. But I think they had smaller packages too.
Not sure why I didn’t find any when I was shopping for mine but next time I’m in the store I will have a look. thanks.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgtmac