R7 is still too noisy on K band

Disco47

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
All the K band filtering is on including TSF and the 2 notch filters. Sensitivity is at 60 front and 70 rear. In town it picks up all of the door openers etc. On the highway it's fairly quite though. My county and nearby areas only use Ka band.

95% of the time I've got caught speeding was in areas with a speed limit of 55 or higher and I get busted for doing 70+. In congested cities I usually go with the flow of traffic or a bit faster .

So I'm thinking of setting quiet ride to 50mph with alert volume set to 0. This doesn't affect Ka of course. What do you guys think?

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Quiet ride is your friend.

RadarScout

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
@Disco47 I'm happy with the quietness of my R7. The only filtering I use is K Filter and K Block weak. Front K band at 80% with rear at 70%. I don't use TSF. We took a drive today over to Georgia and back. I got a couple bsm beeps from Hondas. I got a stronger bsm signal from a Buick Enclave, but it went away as soon as I was next to him.
My Auto lockouts are working great too. My Quiet Ride is set at 15 mph.
BTW, I got a 2.2 mile detection over a rise. He was posted on HR at 5 miles out, (my outer ring).

Last edited:

Disco47

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@Disco47 I'm happy with the quietness of my R7. The only filtering I use is K Filter and K Block weak. Front K band at 80% with rear at 70%. I don't use TSF. We took a drive today over to Georgia and back. I got a couple bsm beeps from Hondas. I got a stronger bsm signal from a Buick Enclave, but it went away as soon as I was next to him.
My Auto lockouts are working great too. My Quiet Ride is set at 15 mph.
BTW, I got a 2.2 mile detection over a rise. He was posted on HR at 5 miles out, (my outer ring).
It's more of a problem with door openers at gas stations, stores and shopping centers. Though it does get some punch through on K block weak when it comes to filtering BSMs from cars.

Last edited:

Randomdude421

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I returned my R7 after 4 days. When I can get a V1G2 for the same price it didn't make sense to me. I had to turn K band off because it was so noisy.

meismyname

SysOp
SysOp
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
So long as you're driving through the same areas, wouldn't mute memory make sense for solving your stationary falsing problems? I still run an R3, but between mute memory and a 20mph quiet ride, I almost never hear a stationary false on my regular commute unless it's in that first few seconds before a GPS lock is acquired.

Disco47

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
So long as you're driving through the same areas, wouldn't mute memory make sense for solving your stationary falsing problems? I still run an R3, but between mute memory and a 20mph quiet ride, I almost never hear a stationary false on my regular commute unless it's in that first few seconds before a GPS lock is acquired.
To a certain extent I could do that. But there would be certain areas where I'd travel 4 or 5 miles just constantly locking out stationary falses. Plus there's multiple towns/small cities within 50 miles of here that I travel to.

yellowtibby

Shifter ZR4's number one fan.
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I agree the R7 is noisy in the city when not in City Mode. If you put it in City mode it is much more quiet around town. My Pro M is best at filtering out automatic door openers.

sctdg

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I thought my R7 was quiet until I left North West NJ and drove out 78 in PA to Cabelas in Hamburg PA. Here in NJ quiet as a church mouse in PA I was ready to through it out the window. Running in advance, k @ 60% Tsf on. Don't know what was going on but it did suck.

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
Interesting. My R7 is silent around urban areas now with the combination of Quiet Ride, some lockouts, and setting the initial Quiet Ride beep to 0. This is in Highway mode! I have a video here where it shows the differences between my V1G2 and R7 around town.

How much of a threat is real K Band to you? I would start with Quiet Ride set to a speed you're comfortable with and the initial beep at 0. From there, see where you need to add a few lockouts.

zappy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I thought my R7 was quiet until I left North West NJ and drove out 78 in PA to Cabelas in Hamburg PA. Here in NJ quiet as a church mouse in PA I was ready to through it out the window. Running in advance, k @ 60% Tsf on. Don't know what was going on but it did suck.
Do you also have K filter, K blk 1&2 enabled. I would also try K narrow. Keep in mind that if MRCD is on the K narrow setting only chops off the high end of K but at the low end it appears to scan lower which generally increases falses. However, with MRCD off you may get more Mazda CX-5 falses. City mode is also an option.

jonup

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
@Disco47 When I first got my R7 it was extremely chatty. I has got better now. And it is not due to lockouts because i have less than 10. I would suggest trying City mode and giving it a shot and or even turning off K band in town if you trust yourself not to forget to turn it on when on the freeway. I personally have QR at 25mph. I switch between City and K band off for daily as I have no K band treads in my area. Went to a track event this past weekend and I turn it to highway mode. It was quite in the rural areas. So keep messing with it.

Localmauythai

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
hell my quiet ride is at like 60mph.

I still get some BSM stuff.... gotta work on my kband filtering.

I'm not going to just turn it off though since I go up route 2 for work pretty often and I noticed the cruisers up route 2 towards concord and Ayer def use K band guns.

regards,

sctdg

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Do you also have K filter, K blk 1&2 enabled. I would also try K narrow. Keep in mind that if MRCD is on the K narrow setting only chops off the high end of K but at the low end it appears to scan lower which generally increases falses. However, with MRCD off you may get more Mazda CX-5 falses. City mode is also an option.
MRCD is on. Using weak k block. K IS wide .Tsf is on. Even using city it was still too chatty . I can't mess with turning k on or off next town to me is using K . Like I said quiet in my neck of the woods but PA was like it was a totally different detector .

knight_man

I wanna go fast
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Person who bought my R7 had me crank up K to 100% after a few close calls. They are getting some falses now that they weren’t before, but the trade off was a lot of range against low powered K being used in our area.

I always had to do like most users here and scale it back to 60-70 to make it more tolerable. I had better filtering with 124 than 127/128/133 (I don’t remember every version, sorry), but I don’t have any seat time with the newest version 135 besides a few quick trips. Seems noisy, compared to the gen2, but still much quieter than the earlier firmwares. Around the same as the Redline 360 I tried.

Still, that R7 is King of K right now. I know my R7 and R1 (when it worked) had the best K range, and even the best filtering with respect to that range and sensitivity.

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
MRCD is on. Using weak k block. K IS wide .Tsf is on. Even using city it was still too chatty . I can't mess with turning k on or off next town to me is using K . Like I said quiet in my neck of the woods but PA was like it was a totally different detector .
Try running K Narrow in PA only !! 👍👍

Benzr

Last edited:

VXAce

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Quiet Ride set to 50mph = Very Nice

😎👍
Same, pretty happy with my quiet ride at 55 mph. I just run custom mode these days and don't use City or Highway Mode, not sure if I should be but I think I just got used to the BSM falsing, kinda keep an eye on what's around me and usually figure it out.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgtmac