Why do you own more than one radar detector?

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Truth be told, mostly because I need professional help but have yet to seek it or been turned in by a family member..:bump:
Sometimes I think that needs to be listed on the RDF warning label as a potential side effect.

Warning: Joining RDF may lead to you purchasing more radar detectors than is practically necessary. :D

or maybe... RDF members running radar detectors: Bet you can't buy just one. :p

Bluelinex

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
You need to keep in mind people's motivations here.
Clearly many here are into the detectors themselves; they are RD enthusiasts, and they ARE the juice for some. Those folks will have every single one and geek out over every minor detail between them.

That isn't me though. (for me that stuff is shooting, guns, and cars). I own the RD's as a practical matter to help avoid tickets, and my interest in them ends there. I've had an R3 since 2018 and recently got an R7 when they went on super sale. I will keep the former because it still works just fine for my purposes and keeps me from having to move the detector(s) around as much between cars. That is the reason I have more than one.

I rely on the enthusiasts here to tell me if/when I need to upgrade.:)

(Another note... if the mystical Theia comes out and actually delivers as advertised, some of you guys are going to be bored with it. No more lockouts, bsms, sensitivity to worry about, no more MRCD falses, narrow/wide, segments to play with, no more Q-ride settings, notch filters to tweak and optimize for your environment..... just throw it up on the windshield, and that's it. Unless Theia is a dud... trust me, some of you guys are going to get it and be bored out of your mind... lol)
I won't have anything else to do in my car but drive. OMG!!!

Transporter

ModWight Transporter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
In front of you but behind a Rabbit - Hot'Lanta,GA
Yes, I own more than one RD. But I only use one, currently a V1G2. I own others because I have been doing this for 35 years and never sold the old ones! I would still have a V1 original if I had not been offered so much to sell it right before the V1G2 came out.

But as your question implies, there is really zero reason to own more than one if one buys a top tier RD. This will be especially true when Radenso Isabel to get Theia to market.

ICULookin

Road Terror- ICU watching
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
T O Y S !!!!! FUN Hobbies are what they are.

Transporter

ModWight Transporter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
In front of you but behind a Rabbit - Hot'Lanta,GA

AllspeedJeff

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I ordered a RL360c over the weekend, just so I could have all top 3 performers. My daily is a V1G2, but it’s nice to know what other manufacturers have to offer.

RoadDogg

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I ordered a RL360c over the weekend, just so I could have all top 3 performers. My daily is a V1G2, but it’s nice to know what other manufacturers have to offer.
That is how I feel too. I have the RL360c and V1G2, and I have come very close to buying an R7, but I haven’t yet. I just enjoy having choices and running a variety of different radar detectors.

Having said that, I can still have my favorite out of my group of detectors, but I just like to “know first hand what’s out there”

knight_man

I wanna go fast
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I like always having a detector in my vehicle. The SA is important for me to avoid unwanted attention and all that noise that comes with it. Bad experiences I don’t want to ever happen again. (I run cameras now too!)

Different detectors do different things better or worse for different vehicles, driving styles, and places.

I like the variety and competition, Innovation. Still waiting for “the one” that I sell or shelve all the other ones. None of them check all the boxes just yet.

And I do not have a problem..I’m down to 3 vehicles, 6 or 7 detectors and just 2 parking sensors now.

My life isn’t a Jalopnik RDF Spiceworks nightmare mashup. I swear. (A lot!)

Last edited:

ICULookin

Road Terror- ICU watching
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score

Bossdad71

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I guess you like RD's with front end rear antennas?
I dont drive much anymore, work, home, moms house, store, so I just use the r1. If I make a longer trip to Wichita or somewhere else, I'll probably get the v1g2 out or the r7

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
@bslaws , wow! What is the unit on the middle shelf far left?

I own several RDs because I never sold older ones and also because I want to see differences first hand.

Beyond that I own them for different capabilities. R7 for K band I/O, G2 for arrows and everyday. NRDSP because that baby is ready to go every time I jump in that car.

Are there some parallels between guns and RDs? Both must be super reliable, offer consistency, and instill confidence in their performance. I prefer the SCAR-17 in the city but defer to the 300 Weatherby for long range performance.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgtmac