ALP heads acrylic cover cost

Cronus

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
Got an estimate today on an ALP install for my Ford Explorer with 2RX/1TX front and rear, HiFi, BT, GPS. For install they are quoting 12 hours for labor, I had guessed about 8-10 hours. Their hourly rate was higher than I thought, so the install costs were about 50% more than I estimated. Also had them quote me for making acrylic covers for the heads for a stealth install. Never got a quote for custom work like this before and had no idea what it would cost. Quoted $3900 for front and back covers, for that price I could get my wife's car an ALP setup too. I understand they have to create them for the vehicle, but that just seems high to me. Is that price normal for custom covers? They have made covers for other cars, that was the reason I called them instead of another ALP dealer that is closer.

Going to call the other dealer for an install quote tomorrow. My wife says I am over thinking this (something I tend to do) and that I don't need covers, even though I'm in a banned state.

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Does that cost of $3900 also include the ALP system with the (2)Rx(1)Tx for both front and back? If it includes the system, custom cover fabrication, and installation labor, then that is a competitive price.

Maz3

Don't hate me just because I'm beautiful 🤣
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Shops are charging rates that are for high skilled labour, when the person doing the work probably isn't making much more than minimum wage. But, if we want the work we have to pay. I think the time estimate is not that far off depending on the vehicle and size of the install, all assuming quality workmanship.

If it can be done without negatively impacting performance, I think acrylic is an excellent step up not just in cosmetics, but in your case to hide the install. Some will claim a good install will protect you, but you never know if you'll get pulled over for something else and the cop says, "Hey, I see you having 'parking sensors'."

Cronus

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
Does that cost of $3900 also include the ALP system with the (2)Rx(1)Tx for both front and back? If it includes the system, custom cover fabrication, and installation labor, then that is a competitive price.
$7900 total, $4k ALP and install, 3900 just for the covers. That is why I thought it was high.

Shops are charging rates that are for high skilled labour, when the person doing the work probably isn't making much more than minimum wage. But, if we want the work we have to pay. I think the time estimate is not that far off depending on the vehicle and size of the install, all assuming quality workmanship.

If it can be done without negatively impacting performance, I think acrylic is an excellent step up not just in cosmetics, but in your case to hide the install. Some will claim a good install will protect you, but you never know if you'll get pulled over for something else and the cop says, "Hey, I see you having 'parking sensors'."

That was my reasoning, if I got pulled over for something else and they noticed, better to be discreet. Not $3900 better though lol.

Maz3

Don't hate me just because I'm beautiful 🤣
Intermediate User
Reaction score
$7900 total, $4k ALP and install, 3900 just for the covers. That is why I thought it was high.

That was my reasoning, if I got pulled over for something else and they noticed, better to be discreet. Not $3900 better though lol.
Those costs are way out of line IMHO. Trust your instincts, and maybe shop some other installers.

Good luck.

chapRD

Intermediate User
Reaction score

Yeah that price is definitely high from my experience.

thanks

for all the fish
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a great wife! Listen to her! The cost of the cover would pay for an alp system on her car! Remember that the ALP system is a parking sensor!

Jason at Radenso

Manufacturer
Beginner User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
So the normal install seems more than fair. The acrylic pods and covers take a ton of time and work. Id say per pod on my personal car the installer had about 5 hours of labor on each and 5 total. Most shops are charging a solid $100-$150 in labor now days. You also have to think when doing pods they are going to likley be removing the bumpers now instead of the more basic install they likely wont to mount the jammers and antennas especially on an SUV.

Just to give some numbers to settle your feelings.. My north east dealers get anywhere from 8-10k per install. Florida and southern dealers about the same. The most expensive inovice i have seen was for a Panamera Turbo and it was 17k.. If you want that super high end custom look thats OEM like it takes time and lots and lots of skills.
8BF36C37-4B1E-4BC7-89E7-D43639C3C5E1_1_105_c.jpeg
CFAB49C7-D16E-47B8-AB44-753806CFB655_1_105_c.jpeg
37EAD3D4-E914-48BF-87F3-35828EFFF290_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:

Weeth

Advanced User
Reaction score
You can't do any of the install yourself? 4 grand is high

Cronus

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
You can't do any of the install yourself? 4 grand is high
Install is definitely not something I am comfortable doing. One of those things I feel better having someone with experience handle.

Got the quote from 2nd place. Their quote was cheaper for the ALP and install, no covers. However he said I can only go with 2 heads in the rear and not 2RX/1TX as there is not enough space between the heads for all 3 in the rear. That is part of why it is cheaper, but even factoring in a TX head and some labor, it would sill be lower. The first place says I can get all 3 installed in the rear, so now I am more confused.

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
However he said I can only go with 2 heads in the rear and not 2RX/1TX as there is not enough space between the heads for all 3 in the rear. That is part of why it is cheaper, but even factoring in a TX head and some labor, it would sill be lower. The first place says I can get all 3 installed in the rear, so now I am more confused.
The Tx head must be at least 8 inches away from any Rx head. Perhaps they envisioned mounting them in different locations.

Weeth

Advanced User
Reaction score
I'd have to see the covers, but sometimes the covers stand out more than the heads. It just depends on the design- sometimes the shop will make a strip that blends in with the lines of the grille and other times they make "pods" which are bigger than the heads and look more obvious.

I wouldn't worry too much about them standing out. Tell the shop you want something where the heads are properly aligned, but not sticking out too much. I would go with the cheaper shop

Jason at Radenso

Manufacturer
Beginner User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Install is definitely not something I am comfortable doing. One of those things I feel better having someone with experience handle.

Got the quote from 2nd place. Their quote was cheaper for the ALP and install, no covers. However he said I can only go with 2 heads in the rear and not 2RX/1TX as there is not enough space between the heads for all 3 in the rear. That is part of why it is cheaper, but even factoring in a TX head and some labor, it would sill be lower. The first place says I can get all 3 installed in the rear, so now I am more confused.
What kind of vehicle is this going on? Miss information in the dealer world is a major problem, thats why we do our best to educate all our dealers and help them with what jammer setup will work best for that vehicle and client. Without knowing the car 1 RX and 1 TX in the rear will likely give great coverage.

Cronus

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
What kind of vehicle is this going on? Miss information in the dealer world is a major problem, thats why we do our best to educate all our dealers and help them with what jammer setup will work best for that vehicle and client. Without knowing the car 1 RX and 1 TX in the rear will likely give great coverage.
Ford Explorer, that is why I was planning on 2RX/1TX. I did confirm with Tom that there is plenty of room for all 3 on my vehicle. The area the sensors would go is 27'5" length, enough room to keep the heads the required distance apart. I am looking into some other options before I decide where to get it installed. I might call the 2nd place back and see what the extra cost will be on his quote to add the 3rd head and install. Called a few other car audio places, none have done an ALP install so I am not comfortable being the first they have done.

Dukes

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ford Explorer, that is why I was planning on 2RX/1TX. I did confirm with Tom that there is plenty of room for all 3 on my vehicle. The area the sensors would go is 27'5" length, enough room to keep the heads the required distance apart. I am looking into some other options before I decide where to get it installed. I might call the 2nd place back and see what the extra cost will be on his quote to add the 3rd head and install. Called a few other car audio places, none have done an ALP install so I am not comfortable being the first they have done.

What year? I've done a 2014 and 2020. The 2020 Explorer was probably one of the easiest vehicles I've ever installed jammers on. I didn't use any covers and the sensors blend in pretty well.

Cronus

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
What year? I've done a 2014 and 2020. The 2020 Explorer was probably one of the easiest vehicles I've ever installed jammers on. I didn't use any covers and the sensors blend in pretty well.
2018 Explorer Sport and it is black so the front should blend in pretty well with the black grill, the rear was more my concern. Probably would blend in and I am over thinking it :)

Dukes

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
2018 Explorer Sport and it is black so the front should blend in pretty well with the black grill, the rear was more my concern. Probably would blend in and I am over thinking it :)

Yeah, personally I would skip the covers at that price. Hardly noticeable on the rear. Check out some of these 3D printed mounts, way cheaper and can look pretty decent.

Cronus

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's replies. I did reach out to one of the members in this area who has done installs. I might not be very useful helping to install, but at least I would learn something new and would know how everything was done in case I need to troubleshoot anything later. If that doesn't work out, I still have the 2 dealers in the area I can work with.

pathfinder11

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Wow, 5k. I'm trying to decide on alp or tmg on a very big white sedan in sfl. Not sure if I'm going to do the rear or just 3 heads up front.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgtmac