US R3 to NZ conversion?

ryan399

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi @Mithheru just found this forum and cant seem to message you due to the new account.

I bought a R3 yesterday and I was told it was a 2020 NZ version and that everything worked, was was somewhat of an impulse buy at night so I wasn't able to do a ton of research before buying :(

After some research it seems as though I was somewhat scammed because when you turn it on it says "uniden" not "Uniden NZ/AU or Uniden-K" which is how the blulink people told me you can tell the difference between US and NZ versions. Its also running firmware version 1.48/2.07 so i'm assuming its at least from 2019?

ah also the speaker doesn't work but it works through aux so I can probably replace the speaker if I can find one.... :rolleyes: annnnndd the front cover has a bit of a chip in it... cant seem to find any replacements for that one online tho...

lesson learned, dont impulse buy things when its dark enough that you cant properly inspect it...

Anyway I was just wondering if I could get some advice on my best course of action firmware wise (haha also if anyone knows where i can source a speaker from...)

update to the latest US firmware or I see you are able to convert the US to NZ?

Attachments

• IMG_20210420_133649.jpg
    IMG_20210420_133649.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 15

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hi @Mithheru just found this forum and cant seem to message you due to the new account.

I bought a R3 yesterday and I was told it was a 2020 NZ version and that everything worked, was was somewhat of an impulse buy at night so I wasn't able to do a ton of research before buying :(

After some research it seems as though I was somewhat scammed because when you turn it on it says "uniden" not "Uniden NZ/AU or Uniden-K" which is how the blulink people told me you can tell the difference between US and NZ versions. Its also running firmware version 1.48/2.07 so i'm assuming its at least from 2019?

ah also the speaker doesn't work but it works through aux so I can probably replace the speaker if I can find one.... :rolleyes: annnnndd the front cover has a bit of a chip in it... cant seem to find any replacements for that one online tho...

lesson learned, dont impulse buy things when its dark enough that you cant properly inspect it...

Anyway I was just wondering if I could get some advice on my best course of action firmware wise (haha also if anyone knows where i can source a speaker from...)

update to the latest US firmware or I see you are able to convert the US to NZ?
Where did you buy it from?

ryan399

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Where did you buy it from?

Someone on facebook 🤣🤣 I messaged them about it when I got home and he just ghosted me.

Personally don't really see the point of making a big deal about it tbh, always expect people to lie on FB haha... it was my mistake for not being fully aware of what I was buying, didn't do enough research on it beforehand. It was pretty cheap and other than audio seems to be working well enough for me going through the AUX instead.

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

ryan399

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
US 1.48 was released in Jan 2019. 2.07 db sounds like @Mithheru 's database, so might be one of those units sold by that TradeMe seller.

There's some replacement speaker advice here, that also links to other threads on the same thing ;

absolute legend... ive been wondering around the house all morning trying to think of things that have small speakers that i can sacrifice for the r3.... never thought of the old nintendo ds lite that i had in my closet... brilliant haha i now have a functioning r3 :))))))

The speaker was a bit small but im probably going to replace it with a proper 28mm one later anyway so temporary fix it is...

with regards to the database, i thought @Mithheru 's one was a NZ firmware that uses his NZ database? or can it just be his NZ database on a US r3?

also is there a way to tell if it is one of the trademe ones from the serial number or anything? the guy i bought it off was a heavy smoker so i was trying to clean it off with IPA and accidentally wiped most of the serial number off... took a pic of it beforehand and wrote it down so not a complete loss

Attachments

• IMG_20210420_165633.jpg
    IMG_20210420_165633.jpg
    511.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20210420_170807.jpg
    IMG_20210420_170807.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
with regards to the database, i thought @Mithheru 's one was a NZ firmware that uses his NZ database? or can it just be his NZ database on a US r3?

He also has the NZ (and AU) db formatted for the US model, so you don't need to convert to NZ firmware.

The older original NZ firmwares you can download from BluLink actually had less features than the newer US firmwares, and the hardware was the same. The new NZ firmwares that you can't download/install yourself from BluLink are catching up now.

The 2021 R3 NZ-K version also appears to have hardware changes to enable mobile Redflex detection below 24.050 GHz.

Glad the speaker fix worked !

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Hi guys, sorry for the late response here.

From what is said here, I would imagine it is an R3 with US firmware. I'm curious to know if it is one of my databases, and also who the seller was if it turned out to be one of my updates.

Please don't install any updates on it at this stage, as I would like to know exactly what firmware and database it currently has, and also to verify if it was one of mine, and if so, who put it on there.

Please could you install Uniden upload tool 1.27 (Windows) or Uniden upload tool 1.2 (Mac), and then send me a screenshot of the display on the upload tool. If it does look like one of my databases, would you be okay to send me your unit, so I can test it, and read me database serial number?

I will also start a private conversation, as I'd also like you to share in private the serial number printed on the outside of the unit.
Post automatically merged:

Thanks for the reply to my PM. The 207 you mentioned previously is the DSP version. So from the snapshort of the upload tool you sent me, I can see it matches this combined US firmware and GPS database file: R3_v148.207.114.db190402

Therefore, looks to me its a slightly older US firmware, probably its stock original US firmware and GPS database as never been updated.

Last edited:

ryan399

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi guys, sorry for the late response here.

From what is said here, I would imagine it is an R3 with US firmware. I'm curious to know if it is one of my databases, and also who the seller was if it turned out to be one of my updates.

Please don't install any updates on it at this stage, as I would like to know exactly what firmware and database it currently has, and also to verify if it was one of mine, and if so, who put it on there.

Please could you install Uniden upload tool 1.27 (Windows) or Uniden upload tool 1.2 (Mac), and then send me a screenshot of the display on the upload tool. If it does look like one of my databases, would you be okay to send me your unit, so I can test it, and read me database serial number?

I will also start a private conversation, as I'd also like you to share in private the serial number printed on the outside of the unit.
Post automatically merged:

Thanks for the reply to my PM. The 207 you mentioned previously is the DSP version. So from the snapshort of the upload tool you sent me, I can see it matches this combined US firmware and GPS database file: R3_v148.207.114.db190402

Therefore, looks to me its a slightly older US firmware, probably its stock original US firmware and GPS database as never been updated.

Ah awesome, so that means its definitely not one of the trademe ones :).

I assume this is why I don't get any red light camera warnings... :(

I would honestly appreciate it so much if you could send me the files. I read through your conditions a few days ago and accept them :)

Just realised I had an outdated version of the tool too haha

Ive messaged you back :)

1randomkiwi

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I'm also curious if you can convert a US R3 to work in NZ.
R3 on Amazon is <NZ$400 vs here it is NZ$1000.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
R3 on Amazon is the same hardware as the R3 NZ 2020 model. In fact I think the 2021 R3 NZ is also the same hardware, just with a firmware tweek to change low scanning, and change of encryption from 2020 R3 NZ models. The encryption is coded into the detector itself. So it looks like blulink did a good job of ensuring anyone who bought even their 2020 R3 NZ model, now has no new upgrade options!

Also unless I am mistaken, anyone who bought a 2021 R3 NZ also so far has no upload tool compatible for it, and no compatible updated GPS database!

So if you want a pretty decent R3 which works better than a 2020 NZR3 (i.e. because of my database!), feel free to import one. The only downside is that many redflex vans will be undetectable. However, broad segmentation on the 2021 R3 NZ makes K band quite noisy, and my R3 for NZ version only scans 24.050-24.100 and is therefore practically K false free for NZ, and makes those versions as good as they can be.

Pieterjnz

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
R3 on Amazon is the same hardware as the R3 NZ 2020 model. In fact I think the 2021 R3 NZ is also the same hardware, just with a firmware tweek to change low scanning, and change of encryption from 2020 R3 NZ models. The encryption is coded into the detector itself. So it looks like blulink did a good job of ensuring anyone who bought even their 2020 R3 NZ model, now has no new upgrade options!

Also unless I am mistaken, anyone who bought a 2021 R3 NZ also so far has no upload tool compatible for it, and no compatible updated GPS database!

So if you want a pretty decent R3 which works better than a 2020 NZR3 (i.e. because of my database!), feel free to import one. The only downside is that many redflex vans will be undetectable. However, broad segmentation on the 2021 R3 NZ makes K band quite noisy, and my R3 for NZ version only scans 24.050-24.100 and is therefore practically K false free for NZ, and makes those versions as good as they can be.
Hi @Mithheru

I'm new on here and just looking into getting one of these but due to reasons you provided above it looks like I have to get the US version and then to make it as good as it can be I need your firmware, Can you please PM me so we can start a private conversation, im stuck between the DFR9 and R3 would just like to hear your thoughts on which one of these would be the best value for me and also how much it would cost for your firmware and GPS updates.

Thanks

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dk919