Radar Detector Recommendation for DreamEndlessly

DreamEndlessly

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
What kind of vehicle you have?
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 5.7L V8 Hemi

Do you want a remote mount or windshield mount detector?
Windshield, Remote Mount

What's your budget?
$500

Where do you live and where do you primarily drive?
Meridian Idaho, mainly city streets with highway being a couple times a week.

How do you drive?
Usually fairly calm, but with my new truck the hemi has been tempting me quite a bit.

What is your daily drive like?
Usually fairly short trips through the city. But it varies quite a bit. False alerts might very well be an issue but I’m not super educated about this stuff or what buildings in my city cause these.

How long you have been using countermeasures, if at all?
I haven’t been using any for a couple years now. I used to have a Whistler 3500 that I really enjoyed but since then I had a POS car that didn’t present the need for one.

What is the terrain like where you normally drive?
Pretty flat for the most part. Some hills. (To the next question since there’s no comment box, I don’t think we have red light or speed cams here but I could be wrong)

Are there red light and/or speed cams in your area?
No

Do you need / prefer a GPS enabled unit?
No

Are you willing/do you want to use your phone to pair with the RD?
Yes

What kind of device do you own or would use for your detector?
Android, iOS

Do you face MRCD and/or MRCT in your area?
Unsure

If you have any preconceived notions or thoughts about RDs, please tell us how long you've been using RDs or other units? etc. -- or any other relevant info you think might be important, let us know that as well.
I’m not very educated about these so it’s hard for me to even say what I’m looking for. Just mainly want something that works well and is worth the money. Mainly focused on the primary features but anything extra is totally welcome. Excited to start this venture into this world. Willing to invest in more countermeasures down the road but am just starting with the detector.

Smason

What is a PSL?
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
A uniden R3 is a simple no BS detector. An R7 is similar to an R3 but has arrows.

A Valentine One Gen2 connects to the Android app JBV1 which adds additional uses.

DifferentialT

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
The Uniden R7 is a one stop shopping detector: No additional apps necessary. It does have GPS which you said you did not need but GPS does come in quite handy in locking out all those non-threat false K band alerts you get as you drive around town. Both the V1G2 and the R7 are hell on wheels for long distance alerts on the highway! I used each one (separately) on a recent 2000 mile road trip.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
The Uniden R7 is a one stop shopping detector: No additional apps necessary. It does have GPS which you said you did not need but GPS does come in quite handy in locking out all those non-threat false K band alerts you get as you drive around town. Both the V1G2 and the R7 are hell on wheels for long distance alerts on the highway! I used each one (separately) on a recent 2000 mile road trip.
Ehhh..... the R7 could most definitely benefit from an app. Even with auto learn, it's still unbearable. The lockouts don't stick, aren't reliable, and take far too long to do any good at cutting the noise down. If I am going to choose a travel companion, heading into an unknown area or an area I don't frequent often, it's a toss-up between the V1G2 and the RL360C. It's not even close, the R7 will drive a guy nuts. With the RL360C, it does a decent job of cutting out door opener pollution without auto learn, and those it does not cut out, auto learn makes quick work of eliminating them. The V1G2 also does a surprisingly good job of cutting those alerts out without logic modes or JBV1 gps lockouts, and JBV1 quickly takes care of the noise that isn't cut out, and the logic modes on their own reduce the noise to levels lower than what my R7 will do, even in Advanced mode with sensitivity neutered on k band after running a week in an area with auto learn enabled. The R7 is just very adept at telling me where an automatic door opener is located.

DreamEndlessly

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thank you all for the responses, I think I’ve settled on the V1G2.
What other kind of things should I start looking into? I’ve read a little bit about jammers? How good are these? And what else is out there?

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thank you all for the responses, I think I’ve settled on the V1G2.
What other kind of things should I start looking into? I’ve read a little bit about jammers? How good are these? And what else is out there?
I think you are off to a great start with the V1G2 and JBV1(app). JBV1 will keep you busy--start with the default settings and turn on Heat Maps at least.

Jammers can work very well, but your truck is not the easiest install though(big front end). @bslaws is in Idaho, maybe he can provide some local knowledge.

bslaws

Land of Spuds and Gems.
Advanced User
Reaction score
I think you are off to a great start with the V1G2 and JBV1(app). JBV1 will keep you busy--start with the default settings and turn on Heat Maps at least.

Jammers can work very well, but your truck is not the easiest install though(big front end). @bslaws is in Idaho, maybe he can provide some local knowledge.
Working on a time to possibly meet up with @DreamEndlessly

biolink

Corgi Lovers
Intermediate User
Reaction score
V1 Gen 2 with JBV1 is a solid choice. Great BSM filtering. Ka range is tough to beat. You'll be able to take advantage of lockouts in that city driving if you like.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itfitz