What is your level of confidence in RDFGS?

IsItWorthIt

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I’d like to create county by county profiles in JBV1 for areas where I drive and I am thinking of using RDFGS as the source data. This will mostly be for the few areas where I would enable X band but I’d also like to create areas where I’d turn off K band. the data is in RDFGS, but is it reliable?? Would you trust it for this? Thanks

Riptide

Recovering M3 Addict
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I’d like to create county by county profiles in JBV1 for areas where I drive and I am thinking of using RDFGS as the source data. This will mostly be for the few areas where I would enable X band but I’d also like to create areas where I’d turn off K band. the data is in RDFGS, but is it reliable?? Would you trust it for this? Thanks
The info is outdated for my area at least. Claims K band usage in DE but I have yet to encounter that in the past 10 years. If we did a big push for people to use it and update it on RDF then maybe I'd trust it for something like that.

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
A lot of the data in RDFGS is very old, so I wouldn't use it as a bible... its fully plausable that some older gear may have been phased out in an area, and replaced with new stuff thats not listed.

Euurx

Cat Lover
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I use it to reference sometimes, just for the sake of it. Wish we could collectively rebuild it. I'd be game for it. It's mostly just posts about what should a person watch out to when going to XYZ state.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'd say the info on RDFGS is at least 2 years old and in many cases much older. So yeah, "for reference only" comes to mind.

IsItWorthIt

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I thought it looked pretty old but thanks for confirming.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I would not turn off K-band. New guns are popping up to replace Ka-band guns in a few areas I frequently visit.
I've heard it said many times around here that some K-band guns are cheaper than the older Ka-band guns they replace and that they are a reasonably good replacement.

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
Wish we could collectively rebuild it.
I've personally taken my local states, migrated the RDFGS info over to a Google Sheets document, and have kept them up to date purely for my own reference. I think with enough hands on deck, we could collectively rebuild it.

As for the OP's question, I would take any info in there right now with a huge grain of salt. It's mostly out of date.

biolink

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
I would not turn off K-band. New guns are popping up to replace Ka-band guns in a few areas I frequently visit.
I've heard it said many times around here that some K-band guns are cheaper than the older Ka-band guns they replace and that they are a reasonably good replacement.
True story. I'm starting to see AZDPS with Kustom Raptor in the Phoenix area.

goblin

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
No idea. I still don't have access to it after all that time :)

FusionLegend69

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Not very high. I did a cross country over the summer and noticed it was missing a ton of regions that I drove through and took notes on. I still await the day that I will be able to add my data to rdfgs...

HankLloydRight

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Is the raw data for RDFGS available? Even the outdated version.

I may be new to RDF, but GIS data, databases, maps, and web interfaces are my specialty.

I'd love to try and create a clickable map of the data by county (or possibly ZIP3 level) of the data in the existing database (see below for a US by county example). Then once that's available, build a web interface for people to update the data by just clicking on the map.

1618772079973.png

Flonase

Course X
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Ready access to bad data will only lead people astray, in my opinion... But good display of good data is gold!

Flonase

Course X
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I believe anecdotally.

FusionLegend69

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Is the raw data for RDFGS available? Even the outdated version.

I may be new to RDF, but GIS data, databases, maps, and web interfaces are my specialty.

I'd love to try and create a clickable map of the data by county (or possibly ZIP3 level) of the data in the existing database (see below for a US by county example). Then once that's available, build a web interface for people to update the data by just clicking on the map.

View attachment 177412
I made a python script that (given a kml route) would output the states/regions + their enforcement using RDFGS. An admin offered to send me the sqldump of the database (which would require signing NDAs etc), but even after a few attempted follow ups, I gave up.
Someone did export RDFGS to an excel sheet in 2017... It's available on google drive https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5sNqzjTEWSHQ3ZjMk****EtMDg/view

edit: the **** is "FU ck" (without the space). Thanks RNG.

HankLloydRight

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I made a python script that (given a kml route) would output the states/regions + their enforcement using RDFGS. An admin offered to send me the sqldump of the database (which would require signing NDAs etc), but even after a few attempted follow ups, I gave up.
Someone did export RDFGS to an excel sheet in 2017... It's available on google drive https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5sNqzjTEWSHQ3ZjMk****EtMDg/view

Thanks for that link. It would be easier for me to just scrape the HTML from the actual website. The google sheets looks like a straight copy/paste from the website, which would actually take longer to parse into a database format. Can you let me know who the admin was, I'd love to get a sqldump of the database, that would save me a ton of time.

SquirrelMaster

Likes Unicorns 🦄
ModSec
Administrator
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

Thanks for that link. It would be easier for me to just scrape the HTML from the actual website. The google sheets looks like a straight copy/paste from the website, which would actually take longer to parse into a database format. Can you let me know who the admin was, I'd love to get a sqldump of the database, that would save me a ton of time.
That would be me and I apologize. I am super busy but not really any excuse. If you guys want to pm me, we can get something figured out this week.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joes761