Canadians & Covid-19 Vaccines - What did you get?

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Booked in 9:00AM PST to get the AstraZeneca vaccine.
My eligibility age (55) in PG BC just came up this week and I've been trying to get in because I'm off to a hot spot in Alberta next week for essential work.
Hoping for low side effects and quick immune response.
I have serious chronic asthma and have had near suffocation experience during the first H1N1 flu outbreak.
Flu vaccine every year since, no more scares.
Feeling hopeful.
200.gif

We seem to be lagging in getting vaccines into arms in Canada, hopefully the coming weeks the pace will pick up.

Last edited:

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Of course I'm not Canadian, but I got my second shot this past Saturday, so I'm finally done! I got the Moderna version of the vaccine. My arm was sore for a couple of days and I got mild flu like symptoms but now it's all good!

mikeoxlong

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I’m lined up to get Astra Zeneca.

TurboDriver

One foot on the brake, one on the gas...
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I am in the US, got mine back in December right when it came available- Pfizer, then follow up in 3 weeks as recommended (healthcare worker).

Now... My Mom lives in Ontario, she just got hers (Pfizer) less than 2 weeks ago. They told her that her next one would be in 4 months, yes that's right, 4 months, not the recommended 3 weeks. Definitely not the recommended CDC guidelines.

So, why is Canada so different? Is it the Medical Program (I don't want to use the words socialized medicine), lack of planning or what. There are less people in Canada than California, it seems they could easily do the whole country compared to the volume and complexity of the states.

I am a little baffled...

Maz3

Don't hate me just because I'm beautiful 🤣
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I received the first dose of AZ, and that night I had most of the potential side effects; like a bad 24 hours flu.

Won't stop me from getting the second shot when I come due.

Gatortotz

PSL +5
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I received the first dose of AZ, and that night I had most of the potential side effects; like a bad 24 hours flu.

Won't stop me from getting the second shot when I come due.
My mom was offered AZ on tuesday and she said no, she will come back for a different one.
4 of her cousins got side effects as well from Astrazeneca

Maz3

Intermediate User
Reaction score
My mom was offered AZ on tuesday and she said no, she will come back for a different one.
4 of her cousins got side effects as well from Astrazeneca
All of them have the risk of flu like symptoms. I know lots of people who got the AZ with no side effects.

John RD

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Booked in 9:00AM PST to get the AstraZeneca vaccine.
My eligibility age (55) in PG BC just came up this week and I've been trying to get in because I'm off to a hot spot in Alberta next week for essential work.
Hoping for low side effects and quick immune response.
I have serious chronic asthma and have had near suffocation experience during the first H1N1 flu outbreak.
Flu vaccine every year since, no more scares.
Feeling hopeful.
View attachment 177167
We seem to be lagging in getting vaccines into arms in Canada, hopefully the coming weeks the pace will pick up.
Well your not going to believe what I saw on a U S tv channel yesterday. Our prime minister Trudeau actually stood up in Parliment and stated on camera that the Covid vaccine does not work . WHAT ?? I rewound that a couple of times just to prove what I just saw. I cannot find that video anywhere here in Canada today, not really surprising tho. Media protects this idiot. Anyone see this ?
What a buffoon !!!

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Well your not going to believe what I saw on a U S tv channel yesterday. Our prime minister Trudeau actually stood up in Parliment and stated on camera that the Covid vaccine does not work . WHAT ?? I rewound that a couple of times just to prove what I just saw. I cannot find that video anywhere here in Canada today, not really surprising tho. Media protects this idiot. Anyone see this ?
What a buffoon !!!
And that was probably deep fake or edited fake.
Just today very different statements than that.
The government is admitting that the roll out has been poor and failing those in need.

Maz3

Intermediate User
Reaction score
AZ has had the most bad press which is what scares my parents lol
I fully agree with you on the bad press.

I researched actual numbers vs number of doses vs likelihood of getting COVID etc., and for me it was a no brainer. Anything was far better than nothing IMHO.

I too have family scared of AZ because of what they've heard, based on the constant headlines, but without doing any of their own research.

I've stopped discussing it with them as I just get frustrated with the emotion driven logic. 😑

That's my personal view, and people of course have to make their own decisions. I just hope they're factually informed decisions.

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I am in the US, got mine back in December right when it came available- Pfizer, then follow up in 3 weeks as recommended (healthcare worker).

Now... My Mom lives in Ontario, she just got hers (Pfizer) less than 2 weeks ago. They told her that her next one would be in 4 months, yes that's right, 4 months, not the recommended 3 weeks. Definitely not the recommended CDC guidelines.

So, why is Canada so different? Is it the Medical Program (I don't want to use the words socialized medicine), lack of planning or what. There are less people in Canada than California, it seems they could easily do the whole country compared to the volume and complexity of the states.

I am a little baffled...
Too much to unpack here, but a few points.
4 months is recommended for the purpose of getting as many 1st shots into arms as possible as quickly as possible. Vaccine has shown decent protection on one dose in preventing death and hospitalizations for at least 4 months. However you have a higher chance of worse symptoms if exposed by about 30%. The booster 4 months later then provides close to maximum protection when given.

The medical system has little to do with our poor vaccine rollout.
Previous conservative governments dismantled Canada's vaccine production facilities in favor of buying from free enterprise pharma companies.
Enter pandemic, no domestic capacity, and many countries with more money (USA) and their own facilities, who hog up the world supplies of vaccines for their own populations, before exporting.
Despite purchases and pharma promises, Canadian deliveries of vaccines has lagged behind most 1st world countries.
USA has a 2 month jump on vaccine distribution.
Here in my city, it's wait every day to see if there is any delivered.

Also, Canada has many more small and extremely remote communities that are difficult to supply with the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine requiring extreme cold storage.

So many factors combining into a slow response.
Biggest of which is our low buying power on the world stage.

wolfpacal

Advanced User
Reaction score
What a buffoon !!!
He's an international embarrassment. He's the dumbest PM we've ever had.
Post automatically merged:

I got my first Pfizer shot Easter sunday. On the special category lists based on my occupation. FLW. Got a really sore arm the day after. Second shot booked for July 25th!!??

keefrto

Loving Alberta's response to cameras. #not
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
Getting my Moderna vaccine tomorrow (i am a HCW) looking forward to it. Edmonton whilst still recording high case stats, is better than Calgary right now (they are 4 times higher) no trips to the Rockies anytime soon folks!!

keefrto

Loving Alberta's response to cameras. #not
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
expect further restrictions within the next 10 days, #markme

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm 3 hours and counting after getting the AZ shot. (Feeling invulnerable :rimshot:)
Not even a pain in the shoulder. (Yet)
I shall see what the evening and tomorrow brings.
Post automatically merged:

PXL_20210415_190448380.jpg
PXL_20210415_190454710.MP.jpg

Signal Environment

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
4 months is recommended for the purpose of getting as many 1st shots into arms as possible as quickly as possible. Vaccine has shown decent protection on one dose in preventing death and hospitalizations for at least 4 months. However you have a higher chance of worse symptoms if exposed by about 30%. The booster 4 months later then provides close to maximum protection when given.

Yes. Seems like there is a lot of confusion about this, but this checks out with both official statements I have read and also with what we were told when getting our first Pfizer shots: You will have some protection 2 weeks after first shot. 2nd shot can be anywhere between 3 weeks and 4 months.

Our 2nd shots were scheduled for 4 weeks after the first (First available time). People who got their first shot before me had a longer time between first and second dose, and people getting the first shot after me are having a shorter interval. So they could be softly prioritizing first shots but not making a huge deal out of it. (I'm in Indiana in the US)

V1Jake

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm not in Canada but are you guys even trusting of the Astra shot? I got my second pfizer today. I hope you guys get the shots easily

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
downhiller2010