Ordered a V1G2 Yesterday

cfdrift34

PSL +5.... ish
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Well, after a month or two of internal debate and reading replies to my thread in the General RD section, I decided on the V1 over the R7. Placed my order yesterday. Not sure when it'll ship, but I'm excited! I've run the Redline-O for about 7 years, so it'll be a nice change and update to current technology. I had the original V1 a while ago and ran it along with the RL-O.

I've read a lot on setup for the V1G2, watched Vortex's videos. If any of you fellow NC drivers have any advice on setup for NC (to be more specific, the Charlotte to Greensboro region), I'd appreciate it! After reading through Vortex's stuff, I'm surprised, somewhat disappointed, but also relieved that the G2 doesn't require as much setup as the G1.

I'll update once I get it!

westwind77

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
They are both great RD's, either one would have made you happy. What was the final push that make you pick the G2 over the R7?

cfdrift34

PSL +5.... ish
Intermediate User
Reaction score
They are both great RD's, either one would have made you happy. What was the final push that make you pick the G2 over the R7?
The RDD immunity. Or at least the consistency of it. Not that I would, but I would imagine it would be useful in certain states haha

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Congrats, great pick!

DoctorWong

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Well, after a month or two of internal debate and reading replies to my thread in the General RD section, I decided on the V1 over the R7. Placed my order yesterday. Not sure when it'll ship, but I'm excited! I've run the Redline-O for about 7 years, so it'll be a nice change and update to current technology. I had the original V1 a while ago and ran it along with the RL-O.

I've read a lot on setup for the V1G2, watched Vortex's videos. If any of you fellow NC drivers have any advice on setup for NC (to be more specific, the Charlotte to Greensboro region), I'd appreciate it! After reading through Vortex's stuff, I'm surprised, somewhat disappointed, but also relieved that the G2 doesn't require as much setup as the G1.

I'll update once I get it!
Nice choice.... You won't be disappointed with the G2. I live in Mebane (outside of Greensboro), and drive to Charlotte to get to the airport. You will see mostly 35.5 and 34.7 KA, in which the G2 is awesome at detecting. Most of the NCHP will be forward facing on the on-ramps. I don't use any custom settings and keep things in logic mode (little-L).
Enjoy!

Euurx

Cat Lover
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Nice choice! I've owned the Redline-O (or OG imo); great RD at the time. K band sucks on it. I'm actually hoping to run G2 side-by-side at some point. If you don't have an android phone, I'd recommend buying a cheap out and tethering your mobile phone to it, for use of jbv1.

cfdrift34

PSL +5.... ish
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Nice choice.... You won't be disappointed with the G2. I live in Mebane (outside of Greensboro), and drive to Charlotte to get to the airport. You will see mostly 35.5 and 34.7 KA, in which the G2 is awesome at detecting. Most of the NCHP will be forward facing on the on-ramps. I don't use any custom settings and keep things in logic mode (little-L).
Enjoy!
Cool! My parents live in Browns Summit, I grew up there. One of my old roommates is from Mebane. I've seen a lot of NCHP doing rear shots lately on 485 and 77. Worried about rear laser now... Need to get rear ALP heads!
Post automatically merged:

Nice choice! I've owned the Redline-O (or OG imo); great RD at the time. K band sucks on it. I'm actually hoping to run G2 side-by-side at some point. If you don't have an android phone, I'd recommend buying a cheap out and tethering your mobile phone to it, for use of jbv1.
My GF convinced me to get an iPhone, but I have my old Pixel 2 that I'll use for JBV1. Need to figure out how to program it to turn on and unlock when it gets power from the car. I know Vortex had done that years ago

WildOne

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
You won't be disappointed. Just be careful with K io until it gets fixed. I have both along with the gen1. The thing with the V1s is that they feel solid. And I'm not only talking about their physical feel. I've had the same V1G1 since 2008. Never any problems. I expect to have the same experience with my V1G2. I'm not sure if the R7 will still be working in that same time period.....not to pick on the R7. It performs great right now.

Yippeekyaa

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Fellow nc v1g2 user here. In nc i run ka and laser only. No x or k band. Get occasional false alerts from semi trucks and rv’s. The v1 with its great ka detection is imho the best detector for nc. When i cross into other states i run all bogeys mode on the highways. Jbv1 makes that change automatically.

cfdrift34

PSL +5.... ish
Intermediate User
Reaction score
You won't be disappointed. Just be careful with K io until it gets fixed. I have both along with the gen1. The thing with the V1s is that they feel solid. And I'm not only talking about their physical feel. I've had the same V1G1 since 2008. Never any problems. I expect to have the same experience with my V1G2. I'm not sure if the R7 will still be working in that same time period.....not to pick on the R7. It performs great right now.
I thought they fixed the K issue?

Fellow nc v1g2 user here. In nc i run ka and laser only. No x or k band. Get occasional false alerts from semi trucks and rv’s. The v1 with its great ka detection is imho the best detector for nc. When i cross into other states i run all bogeys mode on the highways. Jbv1 makes that change automatically.
That's how I've been running my RL-O. Haven't seen legit K here in years

Yippeekyaa

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score

That's how I've been running my RL-O. Haven't seen legit K here in years
Yep, we are somewhat lucky that k band is nearly non existent here on the highways. I’m in pilot mountain area and make frequent drives to Charlotte and Greensboro and weekly trips into Virginia on I 77.

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
For me I had to own both the really understand the difference. You made a good choice. I paid only $375 for my R7 but I promise you the superior arrow performance alone is worth the extra $124 V1 commands. V1 and R7 both offer amazing sensitivity. When your RD is so good at detecting real police radar from far away you really need solid directional indication to make good decisions. Maybe I just push the limit too hard but it's working so far. For someone insisting on a budget the entire R series is compelling especially if you can buy them at the low point.

WildOne

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
The 0.5 to 3.0 sec, which is gun dependent is still there. The R7 on the other hand is like 0.3 to 0.5 on K with the needed filters. On Ka, the V1G2 is pretty much right there with the V1G1 at about 0.1 to 0.2. Slightly better than the R7 on Ka. The Gen1 was around 0.1 or less on all bands.

Euurx

Cat Lover
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Cool! My parents live in Browns Summit, I grew up there. One of my old roommates is from Mebane. I've seen a lot of NCHP doing rear shots lately on 485 and 77. Worried about rear laser now... Need to get rear ALP heads!

My GF convinced me to get an iPhone, but I have my old Pixel 2 that I'll use for JBV1. Need to figure out how to program it to turn on and unlock when it gets power from the car. I know Vortex had done that years ago
Understanding, I have an iPhone as well. I don't think there is any planned releases for iPhone JBV1. Sadly, that's about the only thing keeping me from grabbing the V1G2 is the lack of JBV1 on iPhone, even with the whole grabbing android phone etc, it would be like strapping potatoes to the dash with all sorts of things on it.

I rock a R3 cause it's slim, affective and doesn't require a app to have "full" functionality. But the arrows on the G2 are prob the best lol. Either way, I'm sure you got this 👍

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
You picked the ultimate Ka monster for NC! Ask me how I know! The V1G2 is a pure beast against every type of 34.7 and 35.5 alerts you will see, and believe me, you're going to see PLENTY! The G2 is so fast that I can't squeeze a shot past it, at least not Ka band. K band C/O is good as well but K band I/O is useless so be carefull untill VR fixes this! You will get a steady diet of point blank 34.7 and 35.5 I/O from these Troopers and I've heard some of them are shooting 33.8 as well, although I've never seen it in eastern NC. The V1G2 is incredible at sniffing out those insanely far away off axis I/O Ka shots for miles! You made a great choice! Mine blows my mind with every 34.7 and 35.5 alert I get. And don't even get me started on JBV1, it's incredible!

Last edited:

knight_man

I wanna go fast
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yea hopefully VR figures that K deal out soon...that is a scary one for sure.. as Kennyc56 mentioned, watch out for that IO.
Otherwise you should be very pleased with the gen2. This thing is amazing on 35.5, so I have no doubt they will figure out the K deal. The trade off is that the gen2 is very (VERY) well behaved, besides. I run on A, I notice it is more reactive than little L, and still very well composed on the highway.

When I was in the area, the fuzz were always around but you seriously watched your @$$ on 85.

Good luck! We appreciate updated feedback and experience.

midd

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
First and First, the Nexus of the Universe
Congrats on your purchase. Just buy a cheap Android phone to run JBV1. Auto profiles and auto mode are great features. With auto profile you can configure by state by town, however you like. Just set them up once and you are done.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coach Ron