Take your time with installs - you will waste more fixing mistakes!

westwind77

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'll keep it short - I have two mirror taps running to two different RD's mounted up high, been that way for a couple years at least. I needed a longer wire tap for a different RD.
Mistake #1 - not taking a quick pic of the current tap wire set up.
Went to remove the shorter wire and all the taps came out (it was in tight so when it let go the force pulled all)
Had to get the multi-meter to test and confirm proper wire attachments.
Mistake #2 - was in a hurry and blew a fuse.
With kids sports 5 nights a week I tried to sneak the above into a 30 minute window - without Mistake #1 it could have been doable without rushing.
I did not verify proper placement and ended up killing power to a lot of items in the vehicle!
WIndows, Seat Heater, Heat/AC blower, Dash Displays, Defrosters, etc - all dead
Spent a LONG time pulling fuses and swapping relays until I found a single 10amp fuse that was blown - that fuse does not control hardly any of that according to the owners manual either.
Mistake #3 - not looking at closely before even starting - If I did I would have realized the tap I needed to replace had the connectors after the pins and would have been a 30 second swap.

In my rush to get things done I spent a couple hours on what should have been a 30 second swap. I know better on projects but ignored my better instincts this time and it cost me. Don't be me!

Lars36

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I'll keep it short - I have two mirror taps running to two different RD's mounted up high, been that way for a couple years at least. I needed a longer wire tap for a different RD.
Mistake #1 - not taking a quick pic of the current tap wire set up.
Went to remove the shorter wire and all the taps came out (it was in tight so when it let go the force pulled all)
Had to get the multi-meter to test and confirm proper wire attachments.
Mistake #2 - was in a hurry and blew a fuse.
With kids sports 5 nights a week I tried to sneak the above into a 30 minute window - without Mistake #1 it could have been doable without rushing.
I did not verify proper placement and ended up killing power to a lot of items in the vehicle!
WIndows, Seat Heater, Heat/AC blower, Dash Displays, Defrosters, etc - all dead
Spent a LONG time pulling fuses and swapping relays until I found a single 10amp fuse that was blown - that fuse does not control hardly any of that according to the owners manual either.
Mistake #3 - not looking at closely before even starting - If I did I would have realized the tap I needed to replace had the connectors after the pins and would have been a 30 second swap.

In my rush to get things done I spent a couple hours on what should have been a 30 second swap. I know better on projects but ignored my better instincts this time and it cost me. Don't be me!
Only time I'm in a rush is in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. LOL

DifferentialT

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
That's a good reason for me not to attempt a mirror tap. I have RV mirror mounts for 3 detectors but still use one of the 12VDC outlets for all. I know the mirror tap looks much cleaner.

PhoenixM3

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
That's a good reason for me not to attempt a mirror tap. I have RV mirror mounts for 3 detectors but still use one of the 12VDC outlets for all. I know the mirror tap looks much cleaner.
If you have a multi-meter and a little patience, the mirror taps aren’t difficult at all. If I had more patience, I’d build my own wire tap adapter because they’re pricey.

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I think realistically if we're really taking our time we wouldn't try to get away with a mirror tap at all.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pieterjnz