RL360C, V1G2, R3 35.5 Ka Testing

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
So I was bored while traveling and had brought along my Kustom Golden Eagle and decided to do some testing.

Settings on the detectors were as follows:

RL360C: Highway Mode, X off, K On, Ka segments 2,4,5,6,8 on. POP off
V1G2: All Bogeys Mode, X off, K on, Ka wide.
R3: Highway mode, X off, K On, Ka Narrow, 2,4,5,6,8. POP off.

I did 3 tests, the first one was a semi-long range test that wasn't long enough to show separation as they all pretty much alerted in the same spot, so keep in mind that while there was some differences in results, the location was very tightly clustered.

I placed the Ka antenna on a tripod facing southeast as you would to measure speeds from oncoming traffic at the turnout shown here:
Turnout.jpg

Here is a map of the course:
RSLD.jpg

The pin drop is approximately where the cluster of detections were experienced.

Here are the results from that test:
Longer Distance Test.jpg

I chose another location where it's not so wide-open and vegetation free, so we could get a feel for what some foliage attenuation would result with.

Here are pictures of the setup:
20210407_142822.jpg

20210407_142753.jpg

Here is a map of the course:
RSFOLIAGE.jpg

Here are the results from the course:
Foilage Normal.jpg

Forward Facing on that same course:
Foilage FF.jpg

I will continue to look for better courses when I get bored while traveling, and plan to do some more testing locally as well. I didn't have time to do K testing and I wish my R7 were back from Uniden already, as I would have loved to include it in the bunch.

Too3zln

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thanks for the post. To me it shows the r1/r3 is great value for money. V1G2 doing very well. Did you mean to say k narrow on the r3 instead of ka narrow 24568? Thanks for the post.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks for the post. To me it shows the r1/r3 is great value for money. V1G2 doing very well. Did you mean to say k narrow on the r3 instead of ka narrow 24568? Thanks for the post.
No, I meant it as I wrote it. I don't run K narrow, but I do segment Ka for performance and nuisance alert reduction.

oversteer325

Caution, Anchor May Drop Suddenly
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thanks for testing! Interesting to see the back and forth in the different scenarios. Your forward facing results are amazing to see quantified. I know I’ve had FF encounters that made me worry my detectors were acting up but this goes to show what short distance you get with minimal reflections.

westwind77

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
No, I meant it as I wrote it. I don't run K narrow, but I do segment Ka for performance and nuisance alert reduction.
Ka has 3 'modes' on the R3

Ka Wide
Ka Narrow
Ka Segmentation

When you wrote Ka Narrow and also broke out 2/4/5/6/8 it is unclear which option you were running.

Based on your explanation you were running/testing with Ka Segmentation and not Ka Narrow, correct?

Great testing as well! The R3 is a great unit for the money. The way the graph is displayed in the second test feels a bit misleading though (if people really do not pay close attention to the graph axis numbers). The difference between the best G2 and the worst R3 alert was only around 14', yet the testing graph makes it seem like the R3 did not do so well at a quick glance.

If you look at the 'big picture' they all did great on that test.

Capture.JPG

However, seeing your graph you can see the G2 just bested the rest by a hair. I will say the G2 has been the most consistent RD I have ever owned when picking up C/O and stationary false alerts, within inches if feels like every time.

Impressive to see they all pulled over 5 miles on detections from the 1st test as well!

Thanks you!

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ka has 3 'modes' on the R3

Ka Wide
Ka Narrow
Ka Segmentation

When you wrote Ka Narrow and also broke out 2/4/5/6/8 it is unclear which option you were running.

Based on your explanation you were running/testing with Ka Segmentation and not Ka Narrow, correct?

Great testing as well! The R3 is a great unit for the money. The way the graph is displayed in the second test feels a bit misleading though (if people really do not pay close attention to the graph axis numbers). The difference between the best G2 and the worst R3 alert was only around 14', yet the testing graph makes it seem like the R3 did not do so well at a quick glance.

If you look at the 'big picture' they all did great on that test.

View attachment 176874
However, seeing your graph you can see the G2 just bested the rest by a hair. I will say the G2 has been the most consistent RD I have ever owned when picking up C/O and stationary false alerts, within inches if feels like every time.

Impressive to see they all pulled over 5 miles on detections from the 1st test as well!

Thanks you!
I always consider segmentation narrow as well as the narrow is just a preset segmentation whereas I set it to cover out of tune Stalkers too. So yes, I used Ka segmentation.

Both tests were very clustered, the only one that showed true separation was the forward facing runs. I do have better courses locally to test with, and I expect better separation of performance.

westwind77

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I always consider segmentation narrow as well as the narrow is just a preset segmentation whereas I set it to cover out of tune Stalkers too. So yes, I used Ka segmentation.

It has been a while since I dealt with my R3 but if remember right the 'Narrow' scans 2/5/8, however it sweeps a different range than if you use Ka segmentation and manually sweep 2/5/8. Like you I always include 4/6 as it is not worth the risk not to.

I look forward to your testing the future!

SilenceDogoodNinja

SDN
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thanks for testing @Rags ! Now that was a terrain test

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
Well, I got my R7 back this morning, so the next tests I do will include it as well. I am thinking that I should also include my old Redline and V1G1 as well.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
@Rags - thanks for your time, efforts and $ spent testing. Always good to see some testing from someone you haven't seen post test results before. I know I have seen posts where you said you test. It's nice to see you post the results. Finding good courses for separation is always a challenge. Looking forward to seeing more testing results from you.

I do agree with comments about Ka Narrow vs. Ka Segmention, just because Uniden has the separate Ka Narrow setting that doesn't include segment 4 and only part of segment 6. And some people may get confused. Also tend to agree with showing the entirety of the range on the graph, even if it makes it less interesting. A less than careful reader might just look at the bars and think there is more separation than actually there is.

But those are minor things. It's way more important to have more members testing and posting results, IMO. So thanks again, and looking forward to more!

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks for testing! Interesting to see the back and forth in the different scenarios. Your forward facing results are amazing to see quantified. I know I’ve had FF encounters that made me worry my detectors were acting up but this goes to show what short distance you get with minimal reflections.
Yeah, FF on that course doesn't leave you much to get a reflection off. And having the gun pretty much behind a cedar tree when coming up from behind makes it even more challenging. I always found 35.5 seemed to be more attenuated by foliage than any other frequency.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
@Rags - thanks for your time, efforts and $ spent testing. Always good to see some testing from someone you haven't seen post test results before. I know I have seen posts where you said you test. It's nice to see you post the results. Finding good courses for separation is always a challenge. Looking forward to seeing more testing results from you.

I do agree with comments about Ka Narrow vs. Ka Segmention, just because Uniden has the separate Ka Narrow setting that doesn't include segment 4 and only part of segment 6. And some people may get confused. Also tend to agree with showing the entirety of the range on the graph, even if it makes it less interesting. A less than careful reader might just look at the bars and think there is more separation than actually there is.

But those are minor things. It's way more important to have more members testing and posting results, IMO. So thanks again, and looking forward to more!
I do always test. Previously I had unfettered access to LEO vehicles when I was doing installs on them. I no longer work in that profession so now I have to use my own equipment, which is fine, it gives me freedom while I am on the road to try new courses and setups.

As far as posting the results, I have to give all the credit to the RDTEST app as it makes it much easier for me to keep track of the exact results and has made it easier to publish results rather than just get a "feel" for where things are sitting. The app is truly a blessing for me as it cuts the time down significantly when doing test runs.

I have posted numerous videos of tests and their results, but never in a format to give hard numbers. EDIT::You may not have seen any of that and the discussions as they predate your joining of the forum.:: As to which I prefer, I feel that videos give more a feel for how the detectors are behaving and that the numbers give a good scale on what is going on.

Regarding the scaling of the graphs, I think I covered it in my descriptions fairly well and even went so far as to show there the clusters of alerts were. I just use auto scaling in the spreadsheets and nothing was intended with malice. For example, the long range tests were all within the 5.17 mile detection range. While it's a long distance test, there were still clustering due to the detectors picking up the signal as you turn towards the source. I do have the ability to do even longer range tests with some of the roads I travel and will be doing more of them in the future.

I feel the main takeaway is that given no foliage or extreme off-axis pointing of the gun, these modern detectors can really reach out there and grab these signals from long distances, but if you get a very crafty placing of the gun, it can be near impossible to get a sufficient distance. The main differences I noticed between the detectors was in how they presented the information when they did alert. The RL360C was all over the place with how it presented the alert, it would bounce from weak to medium, to full blast at times when there is no way it was getting that strong of a signal. It made it difficult to judge how far away the signal was. The R3 and V1G2 were much more progressive, with the V1G2 being almost what I would call a perfect scaling of what one would expect.

Last edited:

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I do always test. Previously I had unfettered access to LEO vehicles when I was doing installs on them. I no longer work in that profession so now I have to use my own equipment, which is fine, it gives me freedom while I am on the road to try new courses and setups.

As far as posting the results, I have to give all the credit to the RDTEST app as it makes it much easier for me to keep track of the exact results and has made it easier to publish results rather than just get a "feel" for where things are sitting. The app is truly a blessing for me as it cuts the time down significantly when doing test runs.

I have posted numerous videos of tests and their results, but never in a format to give hard numbers. As to which I prefer, I feel that videos give more a feel for how the detectors are behaving and that the numbers give a good scale on what is going on.

Regarding the scaling of the graphs, I think I covered it in my descriptions fairly well and even went so far as to show there the clusters of alerts were. I just use auto scaling in the spreadsheets and nothing was intended with malice. For example, the long range tests were all within the 5.17 mile detection range. While it's a long distance test, there were still clustering due to the detectors picking up the signal as you turn towards the source. I do have the ability to do even longer range tests with some of the roads I travel and will be doing more of them in the future.

I feel the main takeaway is that given no foliage or extreme off-axis pointing of the gun, these modern detectors can really reach out there and grab these signals from long distances, but if you get a very crafty placing of the gun, it can be near impossible to get a sufficient distance. The main differences I noticed between the detectors was in how they presented the information when they did alert. The RL360C was all over the place with how it presented the alert, it would bounce from weak to medium, to full blast at times when there is no way it was getting that strong of a signal. It made it difficult to judge how far away the signal was. The R3 and V1G2 were much more progressive, with the V1G2 being almost what I would call a perfect scaling of what one would expect.
Didn't mean to imply any malice on your part. I do agree you did a good job explaining the clustering. Like I said, looking forward to more testing from you. I need to get out and do some more myself. I've actually done very little testing with all of the current big three at once. And I do need to start using the RDTest app rather than relying on a different app and video (if doing the testing solo). Anything that makes testing quicker, easier and more reliable is a good thing in my book.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
Didn't mean to imply any malice on your part. I do agree you did a good job explaining the clustering. Like I said, looking forward to more testing from you. I need to get out and do some more myself. I've actually done very little testing with all of the current big three at once. And I do need to start using the RDTest app rather than relying on a different app and video (if doing the testing solo). Anything that makes testing quicker, easier and more reliable is a good thing in my book.
I can't recommend the app enough, it really does cut the testing time down and takes the place of having multiple people involved with getting all of the information together. Such a simple app and it's so powerful. Once you dial in the microphone settings, it's seamless.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I can't recommend the app enough, it really does cut the testing time down and takes the place of having multiple people involved with getting all of the information together. Such a simple app and it's so powerful. Once you dial in the microphone settings, it's seamless.
Did you use an external microphone, or just the phone's own internal mic?
Post automatically merged:

Nice Work !
We need to get together in Waco sometime soon.... ;)

Last edited:

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
Did you use an external microphone, or just the phone's own internal mic?
I use my Note 10+'s internal microphone. It didn't work at first, but once I figured the settings out, it worked VERY well. If you need help getting yours to work and not alert from road noise, let me know and I can give you some things to try and get it down.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Short distance? 5+ miles?

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
Short distance? 5+ miles?
He's referring to the last results I posted up that were forward facing in foliage. 130 feet or so is pretty darned short distance.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danimajado