Kia Stinger Carputer Installation

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
At home, I've been using your "What I Have Now" topology, except that the "Personal Phone" in the middle is my home Wi-Fi AP. This is easy, is fairly bullet proof, and the AP in the middle could just as well be an in-car cellular modem (built-in or plug-in) w/Wi-Fi AP.

In the car, I had been using this topology:

JBV1 Phone (w/Android Mobile Hotspot) <------ wi-fi ------> Carputer

But my phone isn't rooted, and having to manually start the "mobile hotspot" every time I go for a drive is a royal PIA. I don't want to implement a solution that requires rooting, so enter the "LocalOnlyHotspot" for Android 8+:

JBV1 Phone (w/LocalOnlyHotspot) <------ wi-fi ------> Carputer

The only real difference here is that the carputer doesn't get internet access, and it's worth noting that the JBV1 phone can't be running a mobile hotspot and a local hotspot at the same time. Reiterating how this works:

1) Carputer must be BT paired to each phone that will be talking to it. This must be done only once.
2) Carputer must be running a python script that listens for BT connections. This listener is auto started when carputer boots.
3) JBV1 establishes a BT connection to carputer, starts the local hotspot, and sends the SSID/password to carputer.
4) Carputer modifies its wlan0 configuration, restarts wlan0, waits for connection, and reports its IP address back to JBV1.
5) JBV1 disconnects from carputer (BT) and establishes ADS-B and/or GPS service using the IP address reported by carputer.

SwapFile

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Does your JBV1 phone have a sim card with data plan? Or how does your JBV1 phone get internet when in the car?

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Does your JBV1 phone have a sim card with data plan? Or how does your JBV1 phone get internet when in the car?
My "JBV1 phone" is my only phone. The only one with service, anyway.

SwapFile

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Local Hotspot would certainly help everyone who runs a JBV1 on their primary phone. It sounds handy.

My setup is a little different because I run a separate phone (without data plan) for JBV1, and share my primary phone's internet to it.

It works well, except for the occasional (hourly?) momentary carputer disconnects while using my personal phone's hot spot. The disconnects don't appear when using my home AP. If I keep running into problems I'll likely try the hostAPD route.

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Local Hotspot would certainly help everyone who runs a JBV1 on their primary phone. It sounds handy.

My setup is a little different because I run a separate phone (without data plan) for JBV1, and share my primary phone's internet to it.

It works well, except for the occasional (hourly?) momentary carputer disconnects while using my personal phone's hot spot. The disconnects don't appear when using my home AP. If I keep running into problems I'll likely try the hostAPD route.
The easiest solution is probably using an in-car, cellular AP. I was going to go that route when I thought it was going to be only $10/mo to add it to my unlimited data plan. When I went to add it though, the price had jumped to $20/mo (AT&T). That just seems like too much, so I wanted to find a way to do it all from my main phone without any manual intervention (i.e. having to start the mobile hotspot).

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pieterjnz