Kia Stinger Carputer Installation

SwapFile

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Below are instructions on how I installed a Carputer and antennas in my Kia Stinger.

done.jpg

You will need two 2M (6 foot) SMA Cables (I used these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078HBKKXM/?tag=rdf0cd0c-20 )
And a pair of stick antennas (I used these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PFLKM4W/?tag=rdf0cd0c-20 )

If you are willing to drill holes with the trim in the car you don't need to remove the rear seats, but I'd recommend taking them out, it's only 4 bolts and makes it much easier.

First, remove the rear seats and side bolsters (see seats.pdf), then remove the trunk trim (trunk.pdf).

Carefully drill holes in the pictured location, approximately 1/2 inch in from the front and side. If you do it right the plastic support will help lock the plug from spinning. The location is kinda picky, you need to clear the seat belt bracket and also put it in a place that the antennas will clear the seat. You can also thread the cable behind the padding.

front hole.jpg back hole.jpg wire.jpg

If you want the carputer to start with your remote start, you will need to tap into the fuel pump relay wire (green) at the rear fuse block, and then feed it though a 10 second delay relay. This is because the fuel pump relay energizes for a few seconds a few hours after you park your car for evap testing, and if a relay turns on during that you can trigger a "excessive power draw" warning. I used a fuse tap on the rear heated seats and ran it through the delay relay to power both my dashcam batteries and carputer.

Delay Relay: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0779LN147/?tag=rdf0cd0c-20

As you assemble the drivers side, tuck the GPS wire in behind the trim. I used gorilla tape to keep it in place (same stuff people use with proclip mounts).

For the carputer itself I made this bracket:

Due to the item's size I printed it out of PETG to avoid warping. I'm hoping it's protected enough in the car it will avoid heat problems.

I may make a new version that has a bracket for the NEO-M9N module, for now I'm testing the cheap VK-162 USB unit.

IMG_20210411_125540.jpg

Attachments

• Trunk.pdf
    526.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Seats.pdf
    626.8 KB · Views: 7

Smason

What is a PSL?
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
This looks amazing. I still don't quite understand how it works. but when i do, i will be making one.

SwapFile

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I should have specified, I'm specifically using this for the JBV1 Carputer options (5hz GPS and ADS-B):

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Nice install! What kind of range are you getting with those antennas? I plan to add some carputer ADS-B logging soon so can view/compare stats on range and signal strength.

SwapFile

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I haven't tested them in the car while in motion, but from my garage I was seeing 10-15+ miles of range. Range seems to be altitude dependent.

Having built in carputer logging would be great. It's kinda tricky to tell how well it's working right now.

Is there a way to mute the "Carputer online" and "offline" messages.

SwapFile

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I updated my Thingiverse design to include a spot for the Sparkfun NEO-M9N GPS module.

If your going to take the time to do an integrated install I'd highly recommend the NEO-M9N, it's been noticeably better than the cheaper options.

Amazingly, it's even been able to get a position fix in my basement.

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
I updated my Thingiverse design to include a spot for the Sparkfun NEO-M9N GPS module.

If your going to take the time to do an integrated install I'd highly recommend the NEO-M9N, it's been noticeably better than the cheaper options.

Amazingly, it's even been able to get a position fix in my basement.
What GPS antenna are you using?

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score

SwapFile

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up, I only have about 5 hours of driving on the new GPS, I'll keep an eye on it.

Right now my biggest quirk is an intermittent Carputer disconnection, I think It's an issue with my Pi's wifi momentarily dropping, or maybe my phone's hot spot.

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up, I only have about 5 hours of driving on the new GPS, I'll keep an eye on it.

Right now my biggest quirk is an intermittent Carputer disconnection, I think It's an issue with my Pi's wifi momentarily dropping, or maybe my phone's hot spot.
I have the same issue when the carputer is connected to my hotspot. I hope to fix that this week.

YelloEye

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I'm curious and can't comment on the other thread as it's locked. How is data retrieved from this carputer? Onboard display running JBV1 or FlightAware? Your phone wifi connected to the carputer and routing JBV1 traffic to it?

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
JBV1. There's a settings screen for it and everything. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210419-204410.png
    Screenshot_20210419-204410.png
    229.2 KB · Views: 13

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
JBV1 can be run in standalone mode with another detector or without.

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
I've been working this week on trying to make use of Android's "LocalOnlyHotspot," which is available on Android 8+. This is a wi-fi hotspot that can be created programmatically by an app, but from which connected clients can't reach the internet (not a problem here). The sucky part is that the SSID and password for the hotspot are randomized, so it's impossible to pre-configure the carputer for it. I borrowed some Python code from Github that can run on an RPi, listen for and accept BT connections from a paired Android device, receive an SSID and password, reconfigure wi-fi for the received SSID/password, restart wi-fi, and return the new wlan IP address to the connected device. This seems to work pretty well, but it requires some manual configuration on the carputer for each phone that would be used, and even more so if your SD card is "ruggedized" (read-only), to get the carputer to accept BT connections from a previously paired device after a reboot. Ideally, I'd like to reconfigure the carputer/RPi BT to accept any connection from any device using the appropriate UUID, but I haven't gotten there yet.

YelloEye

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I've been working this week on trying to make use of Android's "LocalOnlyHotspot," which is available on Android 8+. This is a wi-fi hotspot that can be created programmatically by an app, but from which connected clients can't reach the internet (not a problem here). The sucky part is that the SSID and password for the hotspot are randomized, so it's impossible to pre-configure the carputer for it. I borrowed some Python code from Github that can run on an RPi, listen for and accept BT connections from a paired Android device, receive an SSID and password, reconfigure wi-fi for the received SSID/password, restart wi-fi, and return the new wlan IP address to the connected device. This seems to work pretty well, but it requires some manual configuration on the carputer for each phone that would be used, and even more so if your SD card is "ruggedized" (read-only), to get the carputer to accept BT connections from a previously paired device after a reboot. Ideally, I'd like to reconfigure the carputer/RPi BT to accept any connection from any device using the appropriate UUID, but I haven't gotten there yet.
Is there an option to store that value in RAM on the RPi? OSes like Puppy Linux run entirely in RAM.

SwapFile

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I was thinking through the various network topologies. Has anyone tried having the Carputer sit between the JBV1 phone and hot spot?

1619119490796.png

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pieterjnz