Ceramic coatings ratings/opinions

Dragons

Breathing fire
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
There are a couple of other threads that deal with ceramic coatings, however they have been rather general.

I like to use DIY coatings on my cars, while I acknowledge the pro coatings are better I don't find them worth the extra cash one such coating that jumps to mind - Fireball pro DokDo $1000, to me it's not worth the extra cost.
My intention with this thread is to maintain it and add info to the original post every month or two as new info comes along.
Its been ~3 years since I last applied a coating to my car, the previous coat was Carpro Cquartz. While I'm not going into the process of applying etc I thought a little info on the top DIY options would be rather positive for those of you that prefer to do it yourself rather than using a pro.

Over the next couple of weeks I'll add more but here's a start of a few I've had at least some personal experience with in no particular order.

Ceramic/Sio2 coatings​

Carpro Cquartz/SIC; This is the coating that I replaced the dealer applied paint protection with.. It's lasted (3 years) amazingly well considering my care of it has been less than perfect, it's been replaced now with Carpro Cquartz SIC.

Carpro Cquartz UK 3.0; Personally this is the coating I will be replacing the older one with, I have used it now on my Subaru with Carpro's companion product Gliss which made a huge difference to gloss than just the ceramic coating on it's own, every time I have used this coating so far I have layered it with three coats plus Gliss.
Adding more than a single coat really doesn't take that much more time. This product is also MUCH easier than Cquartz SIC to apply, it flashes very quickly after application, also easy to remove.

NV Nova Evo; I have assisted one of my friends to apply this one, it's more annoying to work with than Cquartz UK 3.0, but it comes out looking amazing after a single coat. It's more annoying in that flash times vary wildly based on temperature, even when optimum flash to buff time is achieved it's a very sticky coating to buff off. If buffed off too soon, it doesn't leave much coating on the paint.

AvalonKing Armor Shield IX; I haven't applied this one myself but I have seen a couple of cars with it applied, for the price it is at, gives amazing results in gloss and longevity.
The company behind it has been hitting social media pretty hard advertising, providing free review samples to reviewers.
This product requires optimum flash time as some of the others, but there isn't a huge negative consequence if you let it go a little too long.

Kamikaze Miyabi Coat; I've had zero experience with Kamikaze, but it is one of the original top flight coatings, the general consensus with this coating, it's still good but a little behind the times in comparison to it's competition.
The video for this one is is a comparison with NV Nova Evo, I feel more relevant than other videos floating about.

AutoGlym Ultra High Definition Ceramic; This is pretty much the easiest coating to work with that I've had experience with, the down side? It only lasts 12 at a stretch, it's easy to apply, easy to buff off too. With that in mind personally I wouldn't use this.

Beadlock Pro Ceramic; This is one I have zero experience with, also the most expensive. It seems to have a good deal of passionate advocates.

Gtechniq Ceramic Coating CSL+EXO;
This coasting is one I have had no experience with, but has an odd reputation, some people love it others really dislike it, while others love it!

Gyeon Q2 Mohs Coating;
This one seems to have a huge following in Europe, but established itself in the North American market a few years ago, though doesn't seem to have many credible reviews available.

Graphene coatings​

Chemical Guys Carbon Force vs Adam’s Graphene vs Ethos Graphene
The video comparing these three products is just crazy, but does show a lot of potential for Graphene.

Last edited:

pathfinder11

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I just had a kid put armour shield on 3 of my cars about 2 weeks ago, looks good but obviously cant speak on the longevity of it yet. I can say it looked pretty damn easy to prep and put on. Maybe took him 1.5 hrs to do a large sedan and 2+ on a large suv, 2 coats on each.

nomore55

PSL +10%
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
The Cquartz UK is a top dog among those coatings. I did the original Cquartz UK product on my 2011 car when it was new. The coating still looks great, but the car isn't really ever driven in bad weather, so not so much of a test.

I bought the Cquartz Lite last year and have that going on another car. That's an excellent value, should last about 1 year, I hope. BIG bottle for $US50.

user

PSL +5
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Anyone used the graphene products? It does haveso e advantages, but is newer than ceramic so not as tested.

SquirrelMaster

Likes Unicorns 🦄
ModSec
Administrator
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks @Dragons !
I just got mine coated but did it professionally. I looked at all of the diy options but my fear is messing it up in the first stages of detailing/paint correction before I even apply the ceramic coat. (I'm not a very patient or careful man).

I do want to get my wheels coated to make it easier to clean off brake dust so I will probably go the DIY route for that.

Dragons

Breathing fire
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
Anyone used the graphene products? It does haveso e advantages, but is newer than ceramic so not as tested.
The main feature Graphene boasting is better resistance to water spotting, but all the tests I have seen done don't reflect this.

Come to think of Graphene, there are a couple of highly regarded Graphene products I'll also post up today.

Last edited:

user

PSL +5
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
The main feature Graphene boasting is better resistance water spotting, but all the tests I have seen done don't reflect this.

Come to think of Graphene, there are a couple of highly regarded Graphene products I'll also post up today.
It lasts longer if you take care of it. Graphene is more able to handle the daily driving of a car without forming cracks. Graphene has much better anti static properties. It is easier to install than ceramic, in general, but mistakes are easily made with either. Those are simply properties of the substance, not just my opinion.

IMO, ceramic, if it is diy, will last maybe a year and maybe with good care two years. Graphene definitely lasts longer, probably up to five years if taken care of. The hard part of both is the install. A professional installer can do a great job, but it takes experience. High spots and low spots are a problem with both ceramic and graphene. It is hard to spot them right away and after they cure for a day they are really hard to correct. Adam's infuse their graphine and ceramic coatings with uv so with a uv light you can see the high and low spots more easily, but it still hard for me. Most diy'ers think it is apply and forget it, but if you want it to last it takes a lot of care. The shine for ceramic also fades pretty quickly.

Last edited:

anselansel

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
the first question that must be answered with ceramic coatings is....

Will I hand wash my car for several years to come? In cold weather, in burning hot sweaty summer, on a day I planned to relax. If the answer is no in your heart, dont bother, its too expensive if you pay someone and too time consuming if you do it yourself to just piss it away at automatic carwashes...many other products will get you 90 percent there....

Dragons

Breathing fire
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
It lasts longer if you take care of it. Graphene is more able to handle the daily driving of a car without forming cracks. Graphene has much better anti static properties. It is easier to install than ceramic, in general, but mistakes are easily made with either. Those are simply properties of the substance, not just my opinion.
There have been a few claims like this floating around, but I am yet to see any evidence to back up the claims on Grephene.
I hope they are true, I love tech innovation, but I am yet to find anyone with experiences that match with those claims.
I am sure Graphene coatings will continue to develop and will have these properties after a couple generations of development.

Regarding ceramic longevity; I suggest it also depends on prep work, a good deal of diy'ers don't spend enough time researching how to correctly prepare their paint for coating, also depends how many coats are used.
I wash my car twice a month and do a general detail, I use re-load every 3 months on the coating, it retained it's hydrophobic properties for a little over two years before that was noticeably degraded.

Pro coatings will ALWAYS be better, be it Fireball pro, IGL Kenzo, Ceramic Pro or Opticoat. Of course that also depends on your detailer, aka don't book your car in for Monday or Friday! haha.
Post automatically merged:

the first question that must be answered with ceramic coatings is....

Will I hand wash my car for several years to come? In cold weather, in burning hot sweaty summer, on a day I planned to relax. If the answer is no in your heart, dont bother, its too expensive if you pay someone and too time consuming if you do it yourself to just piss it away at automatic carwashes...many other products will get you 90 percent there....
Yes! Speaking for myself, even in summer when daytime temps get pretty extreme here I wait till very late afternoon or night to wash my car. I've been known to do it at 2am!
Anyone that DIY's their ceramic coatings is probably more than willing to hand wash their cars, I haven't been through a mechanical car wash since I was a child with my parents, come to think of it I don't even remember the last time I saw one of those!

Last edited:

nomore55

PSL +10%
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
The main feature Graphene boasting is better resistance to water spotting, but all the tests I have seen done don't reflect this.

This is essentially what I've seen/heard. Initial reports aren't favorable. Who knows? Maybe the product will evolve and make itself worth down the road.

anselansel

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
This is essentially what I've seen/heard. Initial reports aren't favorable. Who knows? Maybe the product will evolve and make itself worth down the road.
True i think that graphene is in its infancy for the consumer market

CPB

Left Lane for Passing Only
Advanced User
Reaction score
We've always used CeramicPro 9h. No complaints aside from it is likely the most expensive option on the market.

nano

PSL +5
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Gtechniq Ceramic Coating CSL+EXO;
This coasting is one I have had no experience with, but has an odd reputation, some people love it others really dislike it, while others love it!
I have applied the CSL + Exo combination as my last coating and was pretty surprised with the longevity. The beading performance was never on the level of similar coatings, but while CQUK died on my paint after 10 to 12 months, CSL/Exo was still performing after nearly 2 years.

beachump

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
I just applied Adams Polishes UV Ceramic myself. On my new Ram 2500, I took it to a detail shop to get it polished for $150.
It took about 7 hours to apply. The UV light was a lifesaver to see any spots I missed. Regular lighting showed me any high spots. For the $100 in supplies, 7 hours labor plus the $150 for polishing, I avoided paying CarToys $1400 for the same job.
Give me a few weeks after having to wash it to see how much time it saves. Give me about a year to see if it was worth it.
Adams support was very helpful with the questions that arose during application.

highwayman

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I had CQuartz applied to my Z06 a little over 2 years ago and it's still doing a great job. Wash jobs are so quick and easy.

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
FWIW,

I just used Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax. The first coat is buffed in, and additional coats are just spray on and rinse off. I used Meguiar's Ultimate(cutting compound) to remove some scratches and water spots. Total time spent was 2 hours or less and it is a very easy product to work with.

I am ahead of the game in the sense that I don't wax cars, and I threw my Turtle Wax products in the trash. We will see how it goes!

Exadata

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I recently cleaned my shower/tub super duper clean. After the tile was clean, I gave it a once over with auto glass cleaner and it worked pretty damn well as it looked as good as new.
The next day after everything was dry, I put three coats of turtle wax hybrid solutions spray ceramic coating on including the sliding glass panes and obviously, didn’t coat the bottom of the tub just the sides.
Now that it’s showroom ready, I’ll see how it holds up over time.
I bought hybrid solutions based on the project farm guys testing on YouTube. It held up to his testing very well and so far so, good on my car with three coats after a super washing.

beachump

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
One week and 1000 miles on the Adams UV ceramic. Sprayed it down with the garden hose and wiped what water was left off with a chamois. Even the bugs on the hood came off. Very pleased.

aim4squirrels

Currently edging... Coming soon!
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Dig deeper in some auto forums on graphene and the real science behind what graphene is used for and how is being presented in the auto industry. It does not do what it is claimed to do in the way it is presented to the consumer.

I've used coatings by pinnacle, optimum, carpro, kamakazi, and 22ple. Cost has directly equated to longevity in my experiences.

To keep this short: unless you are really an enthusiast about detailing your car, don't bother with the cost of ceramic coating. The initial prep is just the tip of the iceberg, the care in washing the car after is where you're going to maintain or lose your coating.

Automatic car washes will scratch the ever loving shit out of your finish. Coin op bays aren't any better. You cannot control the level of garbage that other subhumans will attempt to wash off their vehicles in either instance. If you own, or have ever owned a dark vehicle for any length of time, you know I speak the truth.

If you aren't going to hand wash it every single time without fail, and do it right, then just forget it and use an easy to apply and remove wax or sealant.

Longevity claims are greatly exaggerated in the industry, hardness and scratch resistance claims are utter hogwash, and claims of the looks of one product over the other are pretty damned subjective and 95% more dependant on the skill of the detailer that prepped the car versus the product that was applied .002 of an inch thick on top. This incredible thinness is also why hardness claims in Mohs is utter crap.

Of the products I've used:

Carpro Dlux is the best rubber and plastic trim coating I've come across. I don't even have a second place because it just works that damn good. I stopped screwing around looking for other stuff.

For the paint, it's 22ple HPC and Kamikazi Miyabi, with the nod to the HPC as it's easy to see it flash to a haze and know when to wipe off the excess and where you've missed. The Kamakazi subjectively might have been a smidgen "wetter" looking initially, but as I've only put it on the same car in two different occasions, that could have just been the initial presentation opinion at the time. Both the Kamakazi and 22ple lasted longer than the others I've tried by a good margin.

For rims the 22ple VM1 rim coating was worth every penny. That stuff is still going strong and a pressure washer can damn near clean them with no soap to a spotless condition.

The other thing you have to remember about these coatings is that most of these small detailing companies aren't making these chemicals, they are just packaging something that a larger chemical company has produced. There might a couple of tweaks to the color or smell, but a lot of these boutique brands are by and large very similar. Just like attowave makes a ton of very similar detectors for different companies, so too are many of these coatings made by a larger chemical producer that just isn't into the retail side of the business. They can't all afford the chemists, the r&d, the manufacturing equipment, the bottling and labeling facilities, etc., etc.

Last edited:

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
FWIW,

I just used Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax. The first coat is buffed in, and additional coats are just spray on and rinse off. I used Meguiar's Ultimate(cutting compound) to remove some scratches and water spots. Total time spent was 2 hours or less and it is a very easy product to work with.

I am ahead of the game in the sense that I don't wax cars, and I threw my Turtle Wax products in the trash. We will see how it goes!
And I hand wash each and every time. Maybe that's my saving grace.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itfitz