Paint Protection on the New Odyssey

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
In the recent ScottHD tests, it's starting to look like a dry application of Meguiars Ceramic Spray might be lasting a little longer than the wet application. Maybe. Either way, it's beating out quite a few contenders. Griot's is doing better though. :)

CobawLT2010

I am a still small voice of calm and reason.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I really need to do a paint correction on my daily...

Too3zln

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
In the recent ScottHD tests, it's starting to look like a dry application of Meguiars Ceramic Spray might be lasting a little longer than the wet application. Maybe. Either way, it's beating out quite a few contenders. Griot's is doing better though. :)
You're right, however someone like me uses the product as a drying agent so it gets a boost. Works well for me doing this.

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
So, @Bloovy One and @Too3zln you are saying to apply dry like a traditional wax? I just used the Meguiar's Ceramic Spray on my car and followed the first time instructions--apply to wet car and buff. I almost went dry, but I am a rule follower.....

I just looked at the reviews--guess I will go Griots next time! Oh well, at least I have something on there.

Too3zln

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
So, @Bloovy One and @Too3zln you are saying to apply dry like a traditional wax? I just used the Meguiar's Ceramic Spray on my car and followed the first time instructions--apply to wet car and buff. I almost went dry, but I am a rule follower.....

I just looked at the reviews--guess I will go Griots next time! Oh well, at least I have something on there.
Yes, dry vehicle and then apply the mequiar's. To top it off, you can mist the vehicle, while still wet after a wash, and then dry with a microfiber towel.

aim4squirrels

Currently edging... Coming soon!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
If all you've got is a single speed buffer, then start with a cleaner wax (sometimes called an all-in-one). Do NOT get a cleaner wax on any of the trim or plastic pieces. Move the buffer slowly in 2x2 foot work areas until you see the oxidized paint removed and a good shine underneath when you wipe it off.

You can't really correct paint with a single speed buffer, they just don't have enough oomph to remove scratches, but you can make it better.

After the correction, I'd use Collinite 845 insulator wax. Watch a few youtube videos on how to apply and remove it, you'll get a good amount of life out of it for a wax.

surprisinguy

Government can only give what it takes...
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I've used the TurtleWax ceramic spray on with great results on 2 cars

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
If all you've got is a single speed buffer, then start with a cleaner wax (sometimes called an all-in-one). Do NOT get a cleaner wax on any of the trim or plastic pieces. Move the buffer slowly in 2x2 foot work areas until you see the oxidized paint removed and a good shine underneath when you wipe it off.

You can't really correct paint with a single speed buffer, they just don't have enough oomph to remove scratches, but you can make it better.

After the correction, I'd use Collinite 845 insulator wax. Watch a few youtube videos on how to apply and remove it, you'll get a good amount of life out of it for a wax.
Luckily, the paint is In excellent shape, I only bought the car from an actual dealer 4 months ago so it's still looking really good, just noticed the water isn't beading up as it should. So it doesn't need much work a gentle cleaning and a coating of something should do it.

aim4squirrels

Currently edging... Coming soon!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Next time you wash the car, put your hand in a thin plastic sandwich bag and pull you fingers gently across the hood of your car while wearing the plastic bag. If it isn't smooth like glass, you need at least a cleaner wax.

My guess is it won't be, even a new car has tons of bonded contamination on it from shipping to the dealer. You want to get it off before you seal the surface with a wax, because leaving it on starts the process of breaking down your clearcoat, and that (and the sun) are what ages paint the fastest on a vehicle.

Last edited:

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Next time you wash the car, put your hand in a thin plastic sandwich bag and pull you fingers gently across the hood of your car while wearing the plastic bag. If it isn't smooth like glass, you need at least a cleaner wax.

My guess is it won't be, even a new car has tons of contamination on it from shipping to the dealer.
Yes it will need that, but it's not got much for imperfections in the paint. Tt's not all swirled, scratched, or dulled from significant oxidation. Just needs light polishing to remove any little bits of surface stuff then it can be protected.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgtmac