Paint Protection on the New Odyssey

nomore55

PSL +10%
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
The spray-on products are generally going to be very short-lived. I'd guess one year at best. The SiO2 content in an actual ceramic coating is much higher than the spray products and therefore most will get superior longevity.

I've seen a bunch of these tested. Many are hugely disappointing in terms of life span, nowhere near what the mfr claims. If you're OK with 6 months longevity, there are a couple of products that look like they'll fit the bill.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
That's a good point.

There has been discussion in this thread about the effort and expense of a true application of a ceramic protectant.

The spray on products are usually so easy to do the first time and refresh periodically as well as being much cheaper. If you can spray something like Quik Detailer from Meguairs, you can apply their ceramic spray in the same amount of time.

nomore55

PSL +10%
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
If you can spray something like Quik Detailer from Meguairs, you can apply their ceramic spray in the same amount of time.

Yeah, that's the reality. As long as an owner is good about re-applying as needed, these spray-on products will work for a LOT of folks, no question about it. And be far less expensive in the long run.

I've bought a bunch of the spray-on products, used a few of them. I've also worked with 6 - 8 actual coatings over the past few years. I bought Griot's spray-on product last week. The testers are having higher hopes for it in terms of slickness and longevity.

pathfinder11

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I just did 2 white vehicles with armour shield ceramic, easy prep and application. Says 3 yr protection but we'll see. Maybe 2 hrs total, wash, prep and apply. GL

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

Dave G

Born to lead, At breakneck speed
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Loved all my white vehicles because they stayed cleaner looking longer versus my red, blue and maroon ones.

Gothamnyc

Advanced User
Reaction score
Your not too far from Stuart...Maybe check out Autogeek in person! (Palm beach motoring) I don't know what the criteria is but Mike Phillips is always looking for demo cars for his classes!

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I haven't seen tests on the new NuFinish spray yet. I wonder how it works.

thesilverbullet

Clemson Tigers
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
i put that up since op was a NuFinish fan. i do like the orange 🍊 lol.

i’ve used mothers and meguiars. they are easy to use but no idea how long they last because i wax or spray-on something after every wash to prevent water spots

probably all coming from same co-packer. lol

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I gotta admit the orange bottle brings back childhood memories. :)

user

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the graphene coatings? They have some advantages and are a little easier to apply. Last longer.

M6DUSA

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
So I'm back to owning a white car (my first car a ford taurus was white... and I had a second white taurus years later) I swore never again with how much dirt it shows... Yet here I am again owning a white car, now It's true the previous white cars were owned in new England, and I'm now in south Florida so it's a different environment... I washed it tonight and noted that the water isn't beading up now and the dirt was resistant to coming off... sigh it's time to polish it up.

The previous odyssey had paint issues when I bought it, the sun in FL is hard on paint so while I did still do what I could for it, the paint wasn't in great shape and so it was a losing battle. The new odyssey however still has a decent looking paint job and I need that to last another 200K. I grew up using Nufinish, and had used it up through the last odyssey, but I noted that it wasn't holding up well, I thought it might just be less effective due to the environment down here, but it turns out they changed the formula a few years back, and the new formula doesn't last nearly as well.

So I'm back in the market, and there are a lot more options than there were even just a few years back. I don't have a ton of car polishing gear, just a simple single speed buffer and some microfiber pads. I also have limited time on my hands, cause life is busy. The car is parked outdoors 24/7 and the sun and rain give paint jobs a beating down here, there is also the phenomenon known as love bugs (which if you don't have those, consider yourself lucky).

What I'm looking for is a decent paint protectant that is easy to apply, lasts a long time and will give solid sun/rain/lovebug protection and hopefully make keeping the white car looking good for many years to come. What all do you guys recommend?
Turtle wax seal and shine best bang for your buck

chapRD

Intermediate User
Reaction score
I ceramic coated my cars, I love it. Still beading great after a 14 months and easy maintenance washes. Getting the ceramic application to flash and then buffing it all off wasn't too hard, just need some good garage lighting while applying.

nomore55

PSL +10%
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
Durability testing of the new Griot's from the Apex detailer:

gwing

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Honda had problems when they switched from solvent-based to water-based paint. The first few years of this new process caused quite a few warranty claims. The paint would literally flake off of top facing body panels. No root-cause was ever established other than the plants were undergoing a big change and had many issues to resolve. That was in the mid-2000's. By now all plants have matured their paint processes to prevent the problems that drove warranty claims. That being said, a good ceramic coating (applied professionally) will make a big difference especially in the environment that you live/drive in.

Too3zln

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Some of the most recent spray on products tested in the link I provided would probably do well for you.

Many years ago I used Zaino Bros stuff and that took me 2 whole days with multiple coats. In the last few years I went through some NuFinish because it was doing well in the tests at first. (They were bought out.)

I tried out Turtle Wax's Hybrid Ceramic spray and it's still working on the upper parts of the car 6+ months later.
I'm now ready to apply Meguiar's Ceramic spray (blue stuff) because I don't like the Turtle Wax products in general.
I have and currently use both of these products. One of the applications processes makes it very appealing if you do your own washing @thebravo. After washing, with the car still wet, spray the product onto the wet surface, and then hose off the product. Then dry the vehicle. That's it. If you apply in this fashion each time you hand wash your vehicle you renew the wax and you are good to go until the next washing or two.
Doesn't get much easier than that.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pieterjnz