thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
So I'm back to owning a white car (my first car a ford taurus was white... and I had a second white taurus years later) I swore never again with how much dirt it shows... Yet here I am again owning a white car, now It's true the previous white cars were owned in new England, and I'm now in south Florida so it's a different environment... I washed it tonight and noted that the water isn't beading up now and the dirt was resistant to coming off... sigh it's time to polish it up.

The previous odyssey had paint issues when I bought it, the sun in FL is hard on paint so while I did still do what I could for it, the paint wasn't in great shape and so it was a losing battle. The new odyssey however still has a decent looking paint job and I need that to last another 200K. I grew up using Nufinish, and had used it up through the last odyssey, but I noted that it wasn't holding up well, I thought it might just be less effective due to the environment down here, but it turns out they changed the formula a few years back, and the new formula doesn't last nearly as well.

So I'm back in the market, and there are a lot more options than there were even just a few years back. I don't have a ton of car polishing gear, just a simple single speed buffer and some microfiber pads. I also have limited time on my hands, cause life is busy. The car is parked outdoors 24/7 and the sun and rain give paint jobs a beating down here, there is also the phenomenon known as love bugs (which if you don't have those, consider yourself lucky).

What I'm looking for is a decent paint protectant that is easy to apply, lasts a long time and will give solid sun/rain/lovebug protection and hopefully make keeping the white car looking good for many years to come. What all do you guys recommend?

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
@thebravo
Screenshot_20210409-182523.png

Fireball

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Simple spray on ceramic sealants and waxes are the way to go. As @Bloovy One has mentioned ScottHD on YouTube has been doing tests for a long time and has some good test results. Watch a few of his long term tests and take your pick.
I have to disagree on the ceramic stuff. It's touchy to apply and if you have an application issue it's a mess to get it back off to redo. Really investigate the ceramic polishes before committing. I was really for them until I really dug into them. I have some of the Wolfgang Deep Gloss paint sealant that I'll be putting on my Durango as soon as I get a few clear days that I can spend giving it a proper wash and wax. Went with the Wolfgang stuff because it claims to be anti-static, which should prevent pollen from sticking to the paint. It's also ideal for hot and humid climates, which should suit Florida just fine. Wax is fine if you have the time, but sealant should last at least a year.

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
  • Admin
Yes the nufinish used to be good back in the 90's/early 2000's you could apply it just once a year and have good coverage until next year... but it looks like the formulation change in 2016 killed it pretty bad most people find it lasts less than 6 months now... I was only getting about 4 when I used it last which is not long enough for me...

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

Too3zln

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I have to disagree on the ceramic stuff. It's touchy to apply and if you have an application issue it's a mess to get it back off to redo. Really investigate the ceramic polishes before committing. I was really for them until I really dug into them. I have some of the Wolfgang Deep Gloss paint sealant that I'll be putting on my Durango as soon as I get a few clear days that I can spend giving it a proper wash and wax. Went with the Wolfgang stuff because it claims to be anti-static, which should prevent pollen from sticking to the paint. It's also ideal for hot and humid climates, which should suit Florida just fine. Wax is fine if you have the time, but sealant should last at least a year.
The spray on hybrid ceramics are not finicky at all.

Dragons

Breathing fire
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
Have you thought about a proper ceramic coating, like Cquartz? It's time consuming but lasts a few years if done right.

Edit:
I didn't describe the process very well.
Use an iron remover on the paint
Wash using 2 bucket process and dry
Clay the paint
Since you already have a mechanical polisher, run over it with a CarPro polish Essence if it doesn't need a paint correction.
Then apply the cquartz, I like to use three layers of it, but you can do with one, though two are advisable, I also like Carpro's companion product gliss which goes on mostly the same as cquartz.

In all unless you need a major paint correction you should have this done in half a day.

If the car needs a major paint correction that could take days if you do it yourself. But if its a fairly new car you shouldn't need that.
I couldn't be happier with the results, I suggest it rivals any pro job done.
It lasts 2 years thought if you follow through with the prescribed care process you could get up to 4 years from it.

Last edited:

Gothamnyc

Advanced User
Reaction score
I would really look into ceramic coating it! The white accord we leave in South Florida is under a car port but exposed to similar elements year round. It was 6 years old when I coated it last summer and the coating has held up amazing! Between friends and family I have now coated at least 20 cars with Xpel Fusion, Gtechniq and Carpro coatings. They really are not all that difficult to work with (As long as you have shade or a garage). Prep work takes a little time but again nothing ridiculous....
@thebravo I will be down again for July and August and would be more than happy to give you hand! Shoot me a message when you get a minute and we can talk about some temporary options too...
Post automatically merged:

Just out of curiosity what coatings have you been using?

Last edited:

Fireball

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity what coatings have you been using?
I've not been using the ceramic stuff. I was really interested in it, and started researching it extensively. The pros are great, but the cons were more than I was willing to go for. The biggest con was if you make a mistake applying it, it will look like crap and is a huge mess to remove and redo. The second biggest was if there's any sort of damage after it's applied it's a huge mess to fix. I'm talking damage like fixing a deep scratch in the paint takes a lot more work than it would with just wax on there. Professional application was also pretty strongly recommended on multiple sites. Sealers and waxes, on the other hand, are wipe on and wipe off, and if the car is later damaged it's a lot easier to remove and repair.

I'm not going to tell people "I don't like it so you shouldn't use it," but I will say that there's some pretty big negatives to using ceramic coatings and anyone wanting to use it should do the research prior to getting it.

Gothamnyc

Advanced User
Reaction score
I've not been using the ceramic stuff. I was really interested in it, and started researching it extensively. The pros are great, but the cons were more than I was willing to go for. The biggest con was if you make a mistake applying it, it will look like crap and is a huge mess to remove and redo. The second biggest was if there's any sort of damage after it's applied it's a huge mess to fix. I'm talking damage like fixing a deep scratch in the paint takes a lot more work than it would with just wax on there. Professional application was also pretty strongly recommended on multiple sites. Sealers and waxes, on the other hand, are wipe on and wipe off, and if the car is later damaged it's a lot easier to remove and repair.

I'm not going to tell people "I don't like it so you shouldn't use it," but I will say that there's some pretty big negatives to using ceramic coatings and anyone wanting to use it should do the research prior to getting it.
I haven't really come across many negatives myself, I would say actually a scratch in the coating is far easier to deal with than a scratch thats through the clear coat... If your talking about marring etc... If you spend sometime dialing in your wash and drying process it shouldn't be an issue at all..First car I ever coated was my wife's SQ5 a little over 2 years ago and I still get the wow what did you wax it with type comments! I have had to clean up a few spots at times but nothing that really couldn't be done by hand if that was the only option... My 911's coating is a little over 2 years old now too, that car is babied and has only seen about 4,000 miles since but the gloss and slickness is like the day it was coated. The Maserati was coated, driven from NY to FL let outdoors about 3 months, driven back to NY and has been in the driveway and driven a few thousand miles since... I literally hose it down and it looks like new... Both my parents daily drivers are coated, see automated car washes (much to my dismay) and the coatings are going strong, again an occasional maintenance refresh and they are as good as the day they were coated!
Spend sometime over on autogeek asking the right people questions and you may be surprised just how durable and easy to maintain coatings are!

RedThread

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Collinite 476 or 885
work small area
remove as it begins to skin.
don't let dry.

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
The dealer offered to put on a coating when we bought it but they wanted $650 to do so and with how much money we were already out from the accident (and that number continues to grow, settlement/reimbursement is still months off) we didn't want to spend the extra then as buying the car was bad enough...

IsItWorthIt

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Damn, I don’t envy you. An odyssey is a big vehicle to wax.

I’m a big fan of Griots Garage products. I use a paste wax, apply and buff by hand. I’ll also clay the car before the paste wax. I do that 2-3x p/year. I use a spray wax in between the paste waxes just about every time I wash it. I’ve never tried the ceramics because what I do now is pretty easy to maintain.

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Damn, I don’t envy you. An odyssey is a big vehicle to wax.

I’m a big fan of Griots Garage products. I use a paste wax, apply and buff by hand. I’ll also clay the car before the paste wax. I do that 2-3x p/year. I use a spray wax in between the paste waxes just about every time I wash it. I’ve never tried the ceramics because what I do now is pretty easy to maintain.
Yes it is a lot of area to wax, hence wanting it to be something I don't have to do many times a year (FL is way to hot to be out doing stuff like this for at least half the year)... The one benefit is while large, it's mostly flat surfaces without a lot of contours.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Some of the most recent spray on products tested in the link I provided would probably do well for you.

Many years ago I used Zaino Bros stuff and that took me 2 whole days with multiple coats. In the last few years I went through some NuFinish because it was doing well in the tests at first. (They were bought out.)

I tried out Turtle Wax's Hybrid Ceramic spray and it's still working on the upper parts of the car 6+ months later.
I'm now ready to apply Meguiar's Ceramic spray (blue stuff) because I don't like the Turtle Wax products in general.

Last edited:

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
Someone not far from you that you can check out. He does not make the products, he finds the ones that work the best and offers them for sale. www.obsessedgarage.com . He has a youtube channel as well showing you the application of each of the products. No affiliation, just like his channel and bought many things based on his advice and my cars look fantastic. If you want wax, he will recommend Colinite like @RedThread suggested earlier. If you want coatings, there are several to see. If you want to do it right, you will have several steps from decontamination, iron removal, polish, then coating. You can get pretty deep into it or at least see the curation of products.

Edit: I just recalled he will refer to @Vortex often for detector recommendations. (we all do) He mostly likes the R7 and puts one in each car but is waiting like the rest of us to see what Theia brings.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgtmac