Reaction score
Filtering Settings:
KBlock1&2=weak
TSF=on
Kfilter=on
Highway mode with 70% rear
Xband= off
K Wide

So I've had the R7 for a month or so and decided to share my thoughts so far.

Pros:
Great Ka and K band detections
Off axis is much better than my Max 360
Quiet ride and auto lockouts are great
The digital readout shows a lot of great information
You don't need an app for life support
The tones and voice sound pleasing
You can really customize the settings

Cons:
Very noisy in town with K band falsing
The display looks dim in bright sunlight
The arrows are too slow to flip
Firmware is a pain to update
There's no "Auto" mode for K band sensitivity
Without an app, it's harder to configure the settings

--------
So far the detector has been great. My biggest complaint is the chatty nature of the unit with K band set to 100%. I'm thinking of switching to K narrow and setting sensitivity to 50% since there's no legit K band within 50 miles of here.

My Max 360 would have Ka falses somewhat often. So far the R7 hasn't had a single Ka false. Ka filter is turned on. So far the filter hasn't affected Ka performance in any way.

Overall it was well worth the $374 that I paid on Amazon!

AMGTQ

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Filtering Settings:
KBlock1&2=weak
TSF=on
Kfilter=on
Xband= off
K Wide

Pros:

Cons:

--------
So far the detector has been great. My biggest complaint is the chatty nature of the unit with K band set to 100%. I'm thinking of switching to K narrow and setting sensitivity to 50% since there's no legit K band within 50 miles of here.

My Max 360 would have Ka falses somewhat often. So far the R7 hasn't had a single Ka false. Ka filter is turned on. So far the filter hasn't affected Ka performance in any way.

I've had mine for 2 weeks now. I'm surprised when I hear people say it's so chatty. I know you've not the only one.
My experience has been somewhat the opposite. So much so that I turned off all the filters and went for a drive just to get plenty of k falses so I know it's working. I know, it sounds crazy.
For now everything is at 100% with the filters on and that seems to work pretty well. I hope I don't have a dud.

RadarScout

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Filtering Settings:
KBlock1&2=weak
TSF=on
Kfilter=on
Xband= off
K Wide

Pros:

Cons:

--------

I run K band at 80% with 70% rear. Because there is a lot of K band around me, I run K Wide and Ka Wide. I tried Highway mode, but in town, it was chatty. Now, it's working great and I'm very happy with it...again.

FL TITAN

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Mine has been pretty quiet. I have experimented with k block set to weak and off. I have k @70% With my lock outs I was surprised how quiet the detector has become. I very happy with it. I did a thousand mile road trip with it and paired with Waze I felt very confident. Range was crazy good. Very happy with it.

oversteer325

Caution, Anchor May Drop Suddenly
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Filtering Settings:
KBlock1&2=weak
TSF=on
Kfilter=on
Xband= off
K Wide

Pros:

Cons:

--------

Have you tried running with KA filter off? I keep it off on my R7 and R3 and have not had many KA falses. Maybe one leaky Cobra false every few months.

scooternew

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
so far mine is very quite on K, v1.35
Filtering Settings:
KBlock1&2=weak
TSF=on
Kfilter=on
Advanced mode with K=80% and 70% rear
Xband= on
K Extended

I'm in the Auburn/Opelika area, OPD definitely run K band. One speed sign sets it off and a set of school zone speed signs that don't set it off (Only sign of life on X is the post office doors :)). if i turn off the R7 and run the Redline-O it chatters constantly due to BSM. I haven't had a chance to figure out why the R7 is silent to the School zone speed sign (Probably the Kfilter, I've turned off Kblock1&2 to test), no big deal to me just curious, since the Redline happily alerts to the signs.
So far I'm very happy with the R7, will be giving it a road test this weekend.

Too3zln

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to figure out why the R7 is silent to the School zone speed sign
The R7 on 1.35 reminds me very much of the filtering algorithms of the R1/3 on 1.50. I have noticed as well the R7 on 1.35 filters out a trailered speed sign set up by my local PD, similar to how my R1 on 1.50 does running K wide, and with k filter and tsf OFF. The R1 would alert to this speed sign on firmware 1.53/54 with both k filter and tsf on, and in city mode for that matter. This firmware made city mode almost necessary for my driving environment.

Whether it alerts to school zone signs or the like is most likely built into the base calibration set by Uniden, and not as much so in which filters one has enabled, at least from my experience.

scooternew

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
The R7 on 1.35 reminds me very much of the filtering algorithms of the R1/3 on 1.50. I have noticed as well the R7 on 1.35 filters out a trailered speed sign set up by my local PD, similar to how my R1 on 1.50 does running K wide, and with k filter and tsf OFF. The R1 would alert to this speed sign on firmware 1.53/54 with both k filter and tsf on, and in city mode for that matter. This firmware made city mode almost necessary for my driving environment.

Whether it alerts to school zone signs or the like is most likely built into the base calibration set by Uniden, and not as much so in which filters one has enabled, at least from my experience.
That would make sense, when I first got the R7 it was on 1.29 and I'm pretty sure I drove by the speed sign and it alerted. Still strange to me that this is the only speed sign that doesn't alert, it alerts to all of the others around town. I did note the frequency on them on is 24.104 and the other is 24.106

Too3zln

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
That would make sense, when I first got the R7 it was on 1.29 and I'm pretty sure I drove by the speed sign and it alerted. Still strange to me that this is the only speed sign that doesn't alert, it alerts to all of the others around town. I did note the frequency on them on is 24.104 and the other is 24.106
There are some posts about why some detectors will alert and others won't. Some speed signs in their design do not have a very "peaky" signal, and therefore get filtered out. The signal from a law enforcement grade gun is much different than what we encounter from most speed signs.

Search away and I am confident you will have your answer shortly!

scooternew

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
There are some posts about why some detectors will alert and others won't. Some speed signs in their design do not have a very "peaky" signal, and therefore get filtered out. The signal from a law enforcement grade gun is much different than what we encounter from most speed signs.

Search away and I am confident you will have your answer shortly!
Got it, speed signs can essentially look more like noise and less like a signal to the detector and get filtered. I'll do some searches, thank you.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I turned K band down to 70% on the front horn today. Hopefully it will be less chatty now.
You should be able to turn it down to 50% with no real issue re range.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danimajado