Power Distribution from battery but switched

Earthdog

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
So there are lots of smart people on here and I am not one of them... So I need some help. Currently I have the following direct wired to the battery by various installers on the years:

• Passport 9500ci RD
  • Viper 5900 Alarm
  • ALP's
  • LED Light bar draws 12 amps
I have a problem. I forget to turn off the ALP, Passport and Light Bar from time to time. Recently it zapped a second battery. I do realize this is my own stupidity no need to tell me. Now what I would like to do is to pull all but the Viper off the battery. Then my vision would be to wire a Power Distribution Panel directly to the battery and place it inside the cabin and connect my other accessories there. I have been able to find products to do this. This seems to be the problem; I want the PD Panel to pull power from the Battery but switch off power to the outputs when the vehicle is off. I guess in a reasonably priced world I would like a few outputs that were always hot and a few that switched off power when the vehicle is off.

If this makes sense anyone have any suggestions. I'd prefer something under $100.00

LuckyPunk

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I use this on my motorcycle: Fuzeblocks FZ-1
It has 6 ports, and you can pick individual circuits to be always on, or key on. It's compact, simple, reliable, and I give it a big thumbs up.

Earthdog

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I use this on my motorcycle: Fuzeblocks FZ-1
It has 6 ports, and you can pick individual circuits to be always on, or key on. It's compact, simple, reliable, and I give it a big thumbs up.
Thank you so very close to what I need. Unfortunately they don't support over 10amps on a connection. It gives me hope there is something out there. Thanks again!

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Now what I would like to do is to pull all but the Viper off the battery. Then my vision would be to wire a Power Distribution Panel directly to the battery and place it inside the cabin and connect my other accessories there.
Solutions like what @LuckyPunk linked can be good ones. Otherwise the traditional option is to just run that power lead through a relay that’s switched on by an existing accessory switched fuse/wire in the cabin. So you run a single line (14 AWG or larger, fused at the battery) from the positive terminal to the relay, then from the relay to the distribution block. You then tap an existing vehicle accessory switched fuse or wire and run it to the relay (can be small wire, doesn’t draw much power at all) to trigger it to latch and thus let power flow from the battery to the distribution block. When you turn the car off, the switched accessory power is lost, so the relay unlatches and breaks the flow from the battery to the distribution block. Basic 12V relays are cheap and readily available, and you can run that one single wire into the cabin and mount your rely behind the dash somewhere convenient, probably near the fuse panel.

PS Here’s a nice pair of Bosch-style 5-pin relays that include fused links for wiring to the battery and makes it super easy to wire up to the relay with simple butt connectors. 10AWG fuse link with 14AWG power and 18AWG switch wires. It’s nice because it even has the extra pin for switching (the red wire) back to power in case you want to use it for a dashcam with parking mode or anything else that you want to become hot when the accessory power turns off (or skip it if there’s nothing like that you need).

Absolute USA 2 In-line ATC Fuse Holder, 2 Relay RLS125 12 VCD Automotive Relay SPDT 30/40A and 2 SRS105 12 VDC 5-Pin Relay Socket https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00C0SATH

like this:

1617900826906.png

And it has the wiring diagram on the relay in case all else fails :)

8B8429B0-DB22-43CF-89D8-999C4A2662BB.jpeg

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kidnapper49