Any JBV1 experts?

Richard Ness

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I just got a V1G2 (via upgrade). I had used JBV1 with the old unit, but I have to say I gave up on it because of it's complexity - and it being so 'busy'. Even for me, an engineer/gadget head, it was so complex, I just finally disabled it. (The wife wanted to throw my phone out the window....)

Now that I have a G2, I want to have another go at it. Here is my ask: If someone out here in W WA State uses JBV1 and has good familiarity with it, could I possibly get a settings export from you? Yes, I know Vortex has tutorials and there are detailed guides now out there, but if I could, I'd like a running start at this.

Anyone want to help?

Thanks!!!!!!

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Well, I am in Western Oregon! But the advice would be the same in your situation no matter where you are. Start with the default settings and leave it there for a while. You need to figure out what you want to change before you change it!

Of course turns PAWS on!

Last edited:

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
@Richard Ness, you'll probably get more help if you ask in the JBV1 section of RDF. What specifically are/were you having trouble with?

Richard Ness

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
@Richard Ness, you'll probably get more help if you ask in the JBV1 section of RDF. What specifically are/were you having trouble with?
No 'trouble" per say, just trying to get a good running start at it.

I've used JBV1 before, so I understand it - or better said, how complex it can be. I got to the point that I just didn't use it because, at the time I didn't have the bandwidth to delve into it. That and it made my wife want to throw my phone out the window.
Well, I am in Western Oregon! But the advice would be the same in your situation no matter where you are. Start with the default settings and leave it there for a while. You need to figure out what you want to change before you change it!

Of course turns PAWS on!

Is there really much air enforcement in W WA these days? I know they used to like to haunt Nisqually, 405 N of Bothell and a few other places around here. But, I also don't hear any air to ground radio traffic recently, so are they still flying?

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score

I've used JBV1 before, so I understand it - or better said, how complex it can be. I got to the point that I just didn't use it because, at the time I didn't have the bandwidth to delve into it. That and it made my wife want to throw my phone out the window.
The settings are many, but they aren't a configurator. Changes are not required.

Richard Ness

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score

JB, thanks for jumping in. I guess I'll just have to dust off the thinking cap and just do it...

Last edited:

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score

Is there really much air enforcement in W WA these days? I know they used to like to haunt Nisqually, 405 N of Bothell and a few other places around here. But, I also don't hear any air to ground radio traffic recently, so are they still flying?
The short answer is yes--you can track them real time and their previous flight paths. I can PM you if you want more info.

SpeedyValentine1

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I just got a V1G2 (via upgrade). I had used JBV1 with the old unit, but I have to say I gave up on it because of it's complexity - and it being so 'busy'. Even for me, an engineer/gadget head, it was so complex, I just finally disabled it. (The wife wanted to throw my phone out the window....)

Now that I have a G2, I want to have another go at it. Here is my ask: If someone out here in W WA State uses JBV1 and has good familiarity with it, could I possibly get a settings export from you? Yes, I know Vortex has tutorials and there are detailed guides now out there, but if I could, I'd like a running start at this.

Anyone want to help?

Thanks!!!!!!
I found out by just installing and using by its default setting works pretty well. get familiar with it for a few day and then start going into the menu settings and tweaking the way you want it. If you don't like a setting you can always go back and restore default setting always work the best. IMHO...Happy Driving with your V1G2

Richard Ness

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I'm not new to this. I have a V1 G1 with ESP dongle and I have used JBV1 before. At that time, I just didn't have the bandwidth to delve into it and it was just too 'noisy'. I just got to the point I disabled it. My problem is I have 'engineer brain'. We tend to be somewhat 'compulsive' when it comes to this kinda stuff.

I just rolled up my sleeves and dove into it. A few hours later, I have a pretty good feel for what does what. I like all of the information, but it can just get too much. Learning what controls what and how to get it to where I wanted it was just a matter of taking the time. I also set up a bench test bed, to set and try different settings, so that helped also.

I may not be 100% there yet, but I think I now have a pretty good handle on it.

Thanks

westwind77

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
The amount of customization that has been developed with the app is amazing, and yes, a bit overwhelming at first. I letf mine 'default' then started to change things slowly to my liking.

I would also bring in the phone at night and scroll through the settings slowly while relaxing or watching TV, seeing all the different options, that was a huge help.

I still feel like I am only using 1/4 of what the app is capable of doing, but it has everything I need and more currently.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I find the best way for me to learn JBV1 was to set it up initially with "stock" settings and then when I'd encounter an issue that I wanted fixed, to go through the settings and look for a way to fix that specific issue. For example, have rear falses from your own car? Set a ITB box mute for the frequency range and turn learning off so it doesn't create a lockout. Wash, rise, repeat with any issues that bother you as they come up. Eventually, you'll have it running exactly how you'd like and then can save your settings so you can export them to a new phone later.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I'm still playing with features that I hadn't bothered with prior.
I still can't believe so many people aren't using this app, if only in standalone mode.

jestric

Go Gators!
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I'm still playing with features that I hadn't bothered with prior.
I still can't believe so many people aren't using this app, if only in standalone mode.

Absolutely @LouG!

I started using JBV1 in Standalone mode and loved it so much that I purchased a V1G2 to use with it. 👍😎

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kidnapper49