If I use V1 Driver is there any reason to have Savvy or the Concealed Display Accessories?

RERobbins

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
The title to this one says it all.

If I expect to use V1 Driver with a Valentine One / G2, is there any reason to install Savvy or the Concealed Display accessories?

When I last had Valentine One devices, years ago, I always used the concealed display box nicely tucked away. But is there any reason to bother with the concealed display if I am running V1 Driver?

Similarly, is there much value in having Savvy if I am using V1 Driver?

mswlogo

Software Developer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
That’s really up to you. Those accessories still have added value. With or without V1Driver. For Savvy you will get speed from car when GPS can’t. It’s also instant and extremely accurate 100% of the time. However as cars get newer and more complex hardware Savvy become more problematic. V1Driver can emulate Savvy but can’t in a tunnel, or a garage. V1Driver emulated Savvy isn’t a problem that often but it depends on where you drive.

Concealed display can also help with a minimalistic dash and allow V1 to be in a better concealed location and the phone to stay in pocket or some other non line of site.

I generally keep V1Driver in background. The Audio notifications are all I need most of the time. I have both accessories and don’t bother with them and only have them for testing V1Driver compatibility with them.

Last edited:

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Like he said, some people find value in those accessories. I never have, personally, but it all depends on you. I use the included hardwire kit for power, I let V1Driver handle voice alerts and such in the background, and I let the V1 light itself up during alerts. I do have V1Driver set to blank out the V1 display when the V1Driver app is up in the foreground of my phone (when I’m looking at it), but that doesn’t happen too often. So I can “suppress” the display if I need to, but honestly I don’t really.

RERobbins

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I am considering installing Savvy in a 2021 BMW 430i and haven't the foggiest as to whether the car has as OBD-sensing alarm system. Any thoughts?

Cars with SAVVY Compatibility Issues
Applies to SAVVY purchased on or after October 16, 2015 (serial number ending in 0019 or higher):

Electric vehicles
BMW with OBD-sensing alarm system
Micro Hybrid vehicles equipped with a Lithium-ion starter battery

mswlogo

Software Developer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
I am considering installing Savvy in a 2021 BMW 430i and haven't the foggiest as to whether the car has as OBD-sensing alarm system. Any thoughts?

Cars with SAVVY Compatibility Issues
Applies to SAVVY purchased on or after October 16, 2015 (serial number ending in 0019 or higher):

Electric vehicles
BMW with OBD-sensing alarm system
Micro Hybrid vehicles equipped with a Lithium-ion starter battery
Even though Savvy can add value they can cause a lot headaches too.

A lot of folks think it will solve their powering issues, I think it usually makes it worse.

The newer, the fancier the car the more likely you'll run into an issue. A lot of cars don't like things left plugged in the OBDII port.

Most here rely on the apps to emulate Savvy.

Last edited:

djg21

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The title to this one says it all.

If I expect to use V1 Driver with a Valentine One / G2, is there any reason to install Savvy or the Concealed Display accessories?

When I last had Valentine One devices, years ago, I always used the concealed display box nicely tucked away. But is there any reason to bother with the concealed display if I am running V1 Driver?

Similarly, is there much value in having Savvy if I am using V1 Driver?
I use a SAVVY in my 2016 BMW X5 and it works great. i use V1Driver too. I set up SAVVY to mute everything below 25MPH, which makes it silent in mall parking lots. V1Driver‘s SAVVY emulation is set to 35MPH and doesn’t mute Ka. The combination works nicely, and being able to plug into the OBD port makes wiring/hardwiring and snap. I did have a problem in my old 335xi that was chipped. I don’t know if I’d purchase SAVVY is I was starting from scratch, but I already have owned it for years so use it.

I also use a remote display that is attached on top of my steering column. My V1G2 is mounted by a Blendmount and sits just under my rear view mirror. With the hardwire, it’s not easily seen from outside and in front of the car, or from the rear. i can also mute it without reaching for the detector.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kidnapper49