Why I should get a Uniden R7 over a V1G2 ?

aim4squirrels

Currently edging... Coming soon!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Bottom line: The V1G2 is my grab and go detector. I use it whenever I am in an environment that I don't know well. It currently resides in my toy car that I don't drive as much because it is more intensive to use IMO.
Hey @NorEaster18, can you clarify here? Why would the v1g2 be your grab and go and unknown area detector if it's more intensive to use?

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hey @NorEaster18, can you clarify here? Why would the v1g2 be your grab and go and unknown area detector if it's more intensive to use?
I guess "intensive" is the wrong word to use in this instance. What I actually mean is that the quirks are less likely to bug me in an unknown area. For example, let's look at the lockouts. If I'm driving the same route everyday to work, I prefer that the R7 just makes it a completely silent experience to those lockout areas. The V1G2, with the initial beep in every lockout zone, got really annoying over the course of my commute. But in an area that I am not familiar with, I'm not going to have any lockouts for this negative to annoy me.

Many of the annoyances to me become a moot point when I just got into a rental car in an area I'm unfamiliar with.

WildOne

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I'll add that the R7 has MRCD/T capability which would be nice in NYC. I'd venture that Uniden's version of MRCD is a work in progress on the R7. The V1G2 does not support MRCD/T.
Yes, but tied with JBV1, the V1G2 can alert even before the R7 does by either by sensing MRCD/T or it's database says it is there. I guess I have the range of JBV1 set farther out than the R7 does.

This of course doesn't help much if it is in a mobile van.

aim4squirrels

Currently edging... Coming soon!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I guess "intensive" is the wrong word to use in this instance. What I actually mean is that the quirks are less likely to bug me in an unknown area. For example, let's look at the lockouts. If I'm driving the same route everyday to work, I prefer that the R7 just makes it a completely silent experience to those lockout areas. The V1G2, with the initial beep in every lockout zone, got really annoying over the course of my commute. But in an area that I am not familiar with, I'm not going to have any lockouts for this negative to annoy me.

Many of the annoyances to me become a moot point when I just got into a rental car in an area I'm unfamiliar with.
Ok, I get it now. You're saying if it's going to beep anyway, (because you don't have any lockouts in those new areas) you enjoy using the V1G2.

I guess I haven't read enough of the V1G2 threads to get a handle on it's operation. I was under the impression the newer V1 had a delay built in and that the V1 companion app had time to silence it before that initial beep. I know that was a bit of a niggle with the original V1, that using lockouts still couldn't make it completely quiet to those stationary falses. I thought they had addressed that with the newer detector by massively increasing it's sensitivity/range so that it could buy a second or two to institute a delay for muting/analysis.

YelloEye

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Good resource for knowing your area is RDFGS.

I've no comparison to make, but the R7 I have is a great commuter detector. I kinda wish it integrated with an app similar to the V1 and updates over wifi would be nice to have. But both of those are just nice to haves, core performance with this thing rocks in my experience.

AMGTQ

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
As a previous owner of a V1 I've had the same question recently.
I decided to try the R7 since I read about K being used around my area. I've also seen the photo vans around.
I like the display and it's been quiet enough for me with just the filters on as recommended here and everything else left at 100%.
I used to use JBV1 with my V1 and still do but in standalone mode. I miss that connection with the r/d.
I keep the R7 in dark mode. Last night I had the source of a c/o Ka come up behind me at a red light. I wish I had the screen completely off and was getting the info via JBV1 on my phone.
Interestingly enough, after a few seconds, the signal stopped, I was followed a while and after turning onto another street the signal switched on and they went in a different direction. I couldn't get the settings changed fast enough to shut the screen off and wish I had just unplugged it.
Anyways, I like the R7, but I need a remote display. I still want the V1, not to mention Theia.

Stanley1125

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
If you live and drive in NYC I'd definitely go with the R7 for the MRCD at the rate the speed cameras and red light cameras go up waze and JBV1 can't keep up with them but the R7 gives you a better shot at not getting the ticket

nascar

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Reasons I like the R7 more...

1. Able to reduce individual band sensitivity
2. Color and Sound notification
3. Threat Direction announcement
4. I don't need to connect my phone and a (third party) app to get GPS functionality such as speed and auto lockouts
5. Speed and Compass in the display
6. Better windshield mount
7 Very customizable such as quiet ride and alert tones

Probably more reasons but these are the top. For me and where and how I drive, the R7 performs just as good as the V1 Gen2. Or maybe better.

luis565

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Reasons I like the R7 more...

1. Able to reduce individual band sensitivity
2. Color and Sound notification
3. Threat Direction announcement
4. I don't need to connect my phone and a (third party) app to get GPS functionality such as speed and auto lockouts
5. Speed and Compass in the display
6. Better windshield mount
7 Very customizable such as quiet ride and alert tones

Probably more reasons but these are the top. For me and where and how I drive, the R7 performs just as good as the V1 Gen2. Or maybe better.
Valid points but I bought the V1G2 like 2 days ago. I always have 30 days to test it. I dont mind getting a cheap $50 buck android phone and leave it in the car just for jvb1.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dk919