Why I should get a Uniden R7 over a V1G2 ?

luis565

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
So I am shopping for a new Radar and I have gone to the Valentine forum already, Now I want to see why you guys here think I should get the R7 over the Valentine? I live in NYC and travel usually to upstate NY, NJ, PA and CT. Any help to make my decision is greatly appreciated.

bslaws

Land of Spuds and Gems.
Advanced User
Reaction score
A little extra cash in your pocket?

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I own both. R7 provides more information on its display but V1 will provide more if you pair it. I already run JBV1 anyway so this is a non-issue for me but some people prefer to be able to look up and see a single alert frequency.

R7 is a strong value at the $375 I paid for it and I wouldn't blame anyone for dropping $400 or a little more on it. V1G2 might be easier to update but I found updating R7 to be easy if a bit tedious.

While R7's off-axis performance trails G2 it's no slouch. Both companies have good records of supporting their products. K band reactivity is better on the R7 and that would be my number one reason for choosing it over V1 but I'd only do that if facing a lot of K band I/O.

So in the end it's a matter of priority. If price matters most, go R7. If K band reactivity is your primary concern go R7. If you want frequency display and lockouts without a phone go R7. If flexibility, max Ka performance, very easy ergos, stealth, the ability to have a concealed display, and size matter most then go V1.

luis565

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hmmm...because an R7 doesn't require a cell phone as a life support system?
I own both. R7 provides more information on its display but V1 will provide more if you pair it. I already run JBV1 anyway so this is a non-issue for me but some people prefer to be able to look up and see a single alert frequency.

R7 is a strong value at the $375 I paid for it and I wouldn't blame anyone for dropping $400 or a little more on it. V1G2 might be easier to update but I found updating R7 to be easy if a bit tedious.

While R7's off-axis performance trails G2 it's no slouch. Both companies have good records of supporting their products. K band reactivity is better on the R7 and that would be my number one reason for choosing it over V1 but I'd only do that if facing a lot of K band I/O.

So in the end it's a matter of priority. If price matters most, go R7. If K band reactivity is your primary concern go R7. If you want frequency display and lockouts without a phone go R7. If flexibility, max Ka performance, very easy ergos, stealth, the ability to have a concealed display, and size matter most then go V1.
Hey man thanks for the write up... honestly I am not sure what band I am looking for as I do not have a Radar now. I am sure it is KA band but not 100% sure.

Riptide

Recovering M3 Addict
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Do you want to use your phone in tandem with the RD? Get a V1G2
Do you want the RD to act independently for the most part? Get an R7.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
JBV1 is incredible with the V1G2! If you notice, all of us that run it love it! Once you get it set up, it starts everytime you start your car with no effort from you at all. The V1G2 is the ultimate Ka machine! The off axis 34.7 and 35.5 alerts are truly mind blowing as well! C/O K band is good but it is lacking against K band I/O against certain guns at the moment. Once VR fixes K band it will be tough to beat by anything! I've also run and tested several R7's. I prefer the V1G2 by a large amount! They are both great detectors!

Last edited:

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hey man thanks for the write up... honestly I am not sure what band I am looking for as I do not have a Radar now. I am sure it is KA band but not 100% sure.
Both of these units are so good that neither could be considered a lousy purchase. If you tell us what areas you intend to use it that might be helpful. For example, if you live in PA I'd probably suggest R7. If you're driving mostly in Kali I'd suggest V1. Around Houston I'd go V1. Of course the equipment used by the cat can always change.

luis565

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score

JBV1 is incredible with the V1G2! If you notice, all of us that run it love it! Once you get it set up, it starts everytime you start your car with no effort from you at all. The V1G2 is the ultimate Ka machine! The off axis 34.7 and 35.5 alerts are truly mind blowing as well! C/O K band is good but it is lacking against K band I/O against certain guns at the moment. Once VR fixes K band it will be tough to beat by anything! I've also run and tested several R7's. I prefer the V1G2 by a large amount! They are both great detectors!
thnaks man.. i only have a iphone so can't use jbv1. i would have to use v1Driver on iphone. I am not sure how that compares to jbv1

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
thnaks man.. i only have a iphone so can't use jbv1. i would have to use v1Driver on iphone. I am not sure how that compares to jbv1
I've never used V1 driver, so I don't know how they compare. If I ran an iphone, I'd get another dedicated phone just for JBV1! That's how much I love it!

Last edited:

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
V1 Driver can do lockouts and that's probably the number one reason many want an app. I use JBV1 for all it's other amazing features and the fact that it is in my opinion the safest lockout system available.

Also, in my experience G2 is quieter to BSm and in general but R7 keeps improving through firmware.

LegaZ88Z

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
So I've run Uniden products since they first launched the R series. I love them. They work great, are consistent, and are fairly quiet in my area once I played with setup.

I DID get bored recently and decided to try the V1G2. I've only had it on the windshield for 3 days. But, here is my observation thus far.

The R7 gets used in my car and I love the all in one nature of it. The display with frequency is awesome. I honestly don't mind the quick to full alert nature of it. It has always left me slowed down well before any kill zone. I have noticed that off axis is a little less than my R1. But, it's miles ahead of my old Esocort M360 and is definitely no slouch.

Part of what lured me to try the G2 was its touted off axis prowess. So far, SO FAR... I haven't noticed any alert that has blown my figurative skirt up over the R series.

G2 does seem to be slightly less noisy through town over the R7 even with newest update( K weak) . But not much. Now factor in R7 lockout and auto lockout capabilities and its something else to consider.

I do like the slimmer, stealthy profile of G2. I don't mind the more basic display. It's been easy to read other than telling what band is being alerted to. Again, I'm still cutting my teeth with this platform so I'm not used to tones etc. I do however like the info JBV1 provides when I use it.

All that being said I'm still leaning towards the R7 as my favorite. But maybe time turn the tides.

OP- have you by chance gone to the Introduce yourself thread and filled out the survey? Might help you, and all of us, find you the detector that fits you best.

Last edited:

factoryguy

chasing rabbits
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
So I am shopping for a new Radar and I have gone to the Valentine forum already, Now I want to see why you guys here think I should get the R7 over the Valentine? I live in NYC and travel usually to upstate NY, NJ, PA and CT. Any help to make my decision is greatly appreciated.
Keep in mind that both have reasonable 30-day return policies. Why not buy them both and see what works better for you--in your car and in your region? You'll have some fun and probably learn a lot about both detectors. Just return the one you don't want (or maybe just keep them both :happyanim:)

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
I own both, and I have found that the R7 gives me the user experience I prefer. I am an iOS user who does not want to run a dedicated phone for JBV1, so my experience is a little different than many V1G2 users here who utilize JBV1. However, I do continue to own both and use them for different purposes.

Both detectors have their pros and cons. I like how the R7 just does everything itself. I feel like I have to troubleshoot fewer things with it since there's no connecting to an app for core functions. Lockouts and low speed muting provide a silent experience. Ka performance is great. K performance is much more consistent in my experience. I personally prefer having a frequency readout on the display. However, the arrows frankly suck. It's bulky on the windshield. I wouldn't trust it to run in a banned area. The Uniden update process is not as easy as Valentine. The menu is getting so big that it is becoming a pain to navigate. Bottom line: the R7 is my daily driver detector. It just works and I don't have to think about it.

The V1G2 is a nicer physical package. It's reliably RDD immune, so it's the only detector I'll run in VA. The off-axis Ka performance really is amazing. The arrows are much better than the R7. The set up and update process are much easier through an app. But there's a number of things I don't love. The latency between the detector alerting and the app muting it causes an excessive amount of alert noise under lockout and low-speed muting conditions that I do not like. I don't completely trust the K band performance. You can do a lot with V1Driver and V1Companion, but being that core functions are happening in an app, there's always an extra thing that can go wrong. I've had the apps just fail while driving and had to continue with no lockouts or low speed muting. I find that the Valentine alert tones are not distinctive enough for me personally. I get way more Ka falses on my Valentine, which is rather annoying (although custom frequencies helped). Bottom line: The V1G2 is my grab and go detector. I use it whenever I am in an environment that I don't know well. It currently resides in my toy car that I don't drive as much because it is more intensive to use IMO.

Choose whichever experience you think you would prefer and go with that.

knight_man

I wanna go fast
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I owned both, sold the R7 and got another V1g2. The R7 is very capable, but the V1 works better for me. Especially on my home field.

I don't use apps, although I have and can- and JBV1 is seriously good- it links up my V1 and TMG. The person I sold the R7 to really likes it. Basically just watch a bunch videos and decide which detector you want to see in your windshield, they function very similarly.

I will say, I had issues with the R1 (sent back twice then sold as broken on here), and my R7 performed very poorly in hot weather. However, other members will point out that kind of stuff happens to anyone with just about every brand (QC issues, heat intolerance). Grain of salt and all.

bslaws

Land of Spuds and Gems.
Advanced User
Reaction score
I haven't followed V1G2 issues lately. I was one of the first to buy one and returned mine because it died and wouldn't startup. Have they fixed their quality issues? After being a longtime V1G1 owner with zero issues and then having issues with the G2 right out of the gate, I haven't reconsidered the G2.

Also, is Valentine offering preowned units for a discount like they did with the G1?

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I haven't followed V1G2 issues lately. I was one of the first to buy one and returned mine because it died and wouldn't startup. Have they fixed their quality issues? After being a longtime V1G1 owner with zero issues and then having issues with the G2 right out of the gate, I haven't reconsidered the G2.

Also, is Valentine offering preowned units for a discount like they did with the G1?
I don't think there have been many G2 issues to follow lately. Like most RDs we'd like to see updates bring faster K reactivity and BSm improvements but I'm unaware of electronic/mechanical failures in any number since the initial bugs were squashed.

jws360

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score

Make sense. I prefer to keep Wave on my phone at all times. Probably could use Android auto, but the phone is just faster.

Exadata

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
If you're in PA mostly, I'd go with the R7 as it's the king of K band. If not in PA that much, then it just boils down to features of the R7 vs. expandability of the V1G2 when combined with apps. and what you think would personally fit your taste. V1G2 would be better with lidar, perhaps that could lead to a possible save but, I wouldn't bet on it.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cajuncwby30