Upstate new york no kband???????

Ekosowsky

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am running a dfr7 in Albany New York and seems like only ka band is used here. K band is either blind spot monitoring or automatic doors on buildings. Does anyone know how to find out what is in use here?

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Welcome, I'm sure a local(s) will chime in here!

SixPackABS

Advanced User
Reaction score
Local upstate has K band. Dutchess and Ulster has K band.

V1Jake

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
For the locals you have to keep K on. The small towns use it. If you're on highways that only the state police run then you can have only KA on

milkman

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

El Barto

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Ka for the most part in the Albany area. for some strange reason about 3 months ago I was hit by 3 NY state police all running k band between Clifton Park and Glens Falls on 87. Wide open with customers. Verified as I drove past them. Not sure if they were just trying different setups, but I never saw this repeat since. All Ka Since then.

El Barto

Euurx

Cat Lover
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am running a dfr7 in Albany New York and seems like only ka band is used here. K band is either blind spot monitoring or automatic doors on buildings. Does anyone know how to find out what is in use here?
Hiya!,

I'm in WNY; I typically drive between Buffalo and Syracuse frequently. K band is definitely a thing in the small towns in the surrounding areas. I've been albany a handful of times. Schenectady will run K band/Ka. If you take R20 from Albany down to Buffalo, numerous local PD will K band.

As someone who runs R3, I run it highway mode while there are falses to K band it's pretty minimal and can be spotted out what car/or cop it is.

I would recommend keeping it on, perhaps upgrading toa R3/R7 in the future would yield you better "filtering" for K band.

RoadDogg

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
@Ekosowsky , Welcome to the Forum. We are glad to have you here.

yellowtibby

Shifter ZR4's number one fan.
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I nearly got pulled over by Dutchess County Sheriff running I/O rolling K band on Rt. 22 about 2 months ago. My Pro M barely gave me enough warning time to slow down. It's definitely in use in upstate NY.

nomore55

PSL +10%
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
Another option to exploit for Uniden users is to run CITY mode where it would reduce K band all the way down to 18% while leaving Ka at 100%. That's a convenient solution in my eyes. Maybe other brands can offer similar utility?

Welcome aboard, @Ekosowsky !!

samq45

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
We have everything here, but mostly 34.7.

All the local departments have at least some K band, some locals are 100% K band - Troopers are all 34.7.

Albany/Renn/Saratoga Sheriffs use a lot of K band also.

The state has been providing grants for Stalker Patrols and about 400 units have been provided to upstate localities in the last 3 years, so most of the K that you do see with be the patrols from about 24.115 to 24.135.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coach Ron