Why are the radar heads so big

westwind77

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I don’t think anyone here understands how much performance is lost by detecting X band. It is extremely significant.
I don't know the technicalities of it, however, the minute I learned OG RL (and the rest of the RL series) has one horn dedicated to X and the other combined K/Ka I was thinking to myself how much must be wasted with X given it needs its own separate horn in a day and age where over 90% of the people just turn it off.

My RL360c has X off, so I have all of this extra hardware in the unit (and paid for it) for nothing.

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
You would get some falses and performance wouldn’t be amazing, but it still would probably work just fine given how easy X band is to detect.
Personally I think that’s a fantastic idea. I don’t know if it’s feasible from a business standpoint, but a gorgeous thought.

I have no idea if this actually makes any sense, but maybe you could approach it that way for a remote version down the line. You could even have the current Theia (more or less) design with X-band fully accounted for be an alternate remote head option, though maybe that’s getting too niche. Anyway, you could then take your K/Ka-optimized version and make a windshield amount Theia 2 or whatever. Smaller, better, faster. Still check the X-band box, which few will ever actually use, and be well ahead.

jon5

PSL + (O / U)
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have lived in Ohio - one of the most common X band states - for almost 15 years and I’ve been hit by X band once.
FWIW, i visited Ohio for a week and ran into it in Bremen. I assure you, it is most certainly not a unicorn.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kidnapper49