Install ALP on 2012 Audi A7

markdjr

Learning to Drive
Premium Plus
General User
Reaction score
I am getting ready to install an ALP in my 2012 Audi A7. The main thing I'm concerned with is mounting the sensors themselves. I found this post that has some helpful information, this person used silicone for the rear sensors. Is this a good option? Is 3m tape an option that people use? I don't see a scenario in the rear where I can utilize the brackets. Thanks for any tips or info.

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
If you have a flat surface I would definitly recommend the 3m body and moulding tape. its designed to mount trim onto a car so it works perfectly for this, I have used it for years for many different both temporary and permanent ALP installs and never had a head come off until I pulled it off. If you have a less smooth or flat surface you can use Sugru to mold something that will work as well or use it to fill in any gaps and make the install look cleaner, its a putty like material that dries into a rubber material.

markdjr

Learning to Drive
Premium Plus
General User
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with Sugru but haven't used it much. Are you using the Sugru to mount the head directly to the body of the car, or Sugru to 3m body tape? Thanks for any additional info.

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with Sugru but haven't used it much. Are you using the Sugru to mount the head directly to the body of the car, or Sugru to 3m body tape? Thanks for any additional info.
Sugru directly to the car. Sugru is helpful if you don't have a perfectly smooth or flat surface you are mounting to as it conforms to the surface shape. If you have a flat surface go for the tape. I have occasionally used a little black sugru to fill the gap between the ALP head and the surface of the car when I use the tape as the mounting method. There is a tiny 1/8 in gap left when you use the tape as thats about how thick the tape is, the sugru can be smoothed in with a spatula (or I use the end of a zip tie) to give it a more clean look and keep debris from accumulating in the gap... all depends on the install

Smason

What is a PSL?
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Use them separately IMO.
If it's a semi-flat surface, I prefer VHB tape. Ensure both surfaces are clean.

markdjr

Learning to Drive
Premium Plus
General User
Reaction score
Good looking out

Flonase

Course X
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I also have had great luck with 3M VHB tape. I use it for all sorts of stuff now. Make sure you get actual 3M stuff and not ebay / unknown Amazon vendor version.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joes761