R7 Firmware 135 - TSF On/Off Observations

WildOne

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
So for the R7 do we want MRCD on or off? In Southeast Michigan so far MRCD has picked up traffic sensors at intersections. I see in some tests that MRCD slows down reaction time. But Vortex recommends keeping it on.
In a one on one environment, I saw no issues with MRCD on or off effecting the reaction time. There maybe issues in a denser signal environment, but not for MRCD per se. Again, I need to finish my results write up....

I'm running MRCD on because of @DC Fluid recommendation and I also live with MRCD machines. Though I have to say that JBV1 alerts me to the MRCD before the R7 does by database or by signal. It is nice to have the signal confirmation though. I also haven't seen any mobile vans yet....

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
So for the R7 do we want MRCD on or off? In Southeast Michigan so far MRCD has picked up traffic sensors at intersections. I see in some tests that MRCD slows down reaction time. But Vortex recommends keeping it on.
Reaction time with MRCD on/off is such a small difference I would ignore that item, and concentrate on whether MRCD ON or OFF is more beneficial to your driving enjoyment.
If you get too many MRCD sources alerting you unnecessarily, maybe you're better with it off. Just live with the Mazda CX-5 encounters.
If Mazdas are more bothersome, then run it ON.

One issue I have is that MRCD ON lowers my K Narrow floor from 24.080 down to 24.068, which is just enough to catch the Cadillac lower range BSM that I have more Escalades here than Mazdas.
So there is some give and take.

I haven't yet seen definitive testing for 24.160 BSM if MRCD has any effects positive, negative or neutral.

metroplex

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Reaction time with MRCD on/off is such a small difference I would ignore that item, and concentrate on whether MRCD ON or OFF is more beneficial to your driving enjoyment.
If you get too many MRCD sources alerting you unnecessarily, maybe you're better with it off. Just live with the Mazda CX-5 encounters.
If Mazdas are more bothersome, then run it ON.

One issue I have is that MRCD ON lowers my K Narrow floor from 24.080 down to 24.068, which is just enough to catch the Cadillac lower range BSM that I have more Escalades here than Mazdas.
So there is some give and take.

I haven't yet seen definitive testing for 24.160 BSM if MRCD has any effects positive, negative or neutral.
Only reason I ask about MRCD slowing down the R7 is the testing here showed a significant increase in reaction time:

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
FYI firmware 135 is quicker reaction times on K Band than 133, and more consistent.
So if anything, running 135 with MRCD on is superior to 133 with it off.
Not bad for the best detector against K band to get this boost.
Post automatically merged:

Only reason I ask about MRCD slowing down the R7 is the testing here showed a significant increase in reaction time:
That was a 2017 test. There is more recent, but I will check access level to it.
The R7 slows down more by going K Extended and City mode, than any MRCD setting.
In fact, both my R7s on different firmwares showed increase RANGE with MRCD on.
I will find those links...

Very recent test, not MRCD ON pulled longest receptions.

Reactivity Test:

For those of you not at intermediate level to see the reactivity test on R7, MRCD On vs. OFF, I will just say don't worry about it.

And my comment in the conclusions of my sensitivity shootout;
MRCD on seemed to give both detectors a slight boost in range.

Last edited:

metroplex

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thank you!! That's a lot of great testing!! Unrelated to the R7, but with the R3 is it understood to turn off MRCD for faster reaction? Or is it in the same case as the R7 with the latest R3 1.54 firmware?

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thank you!! That's a lot of great testing!! Unrelated to the R7, but with the R3 is it understood to turn off MRCD for faster reaction? Or is it in the same case as the R7 with the latest R3 1.54 firmware?
The R3 is a different animal and so far I've seen no reports that MRCD On has any benefit to BSM or other.
There would be no point in having it on (and requires TSF off to be effective) unless facing MRCD mobile vehicles like in Edmonton.

Quasimodal

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I'm currently running K Narrow, K Filter On, MRCD Off, TSF On, and both K-blocks on Weak. So far, I'm finding this combination much quieter in SE Michigan than MRCD On because we have far more Caddies, Jeeps, and Pacificas than Mazdas here. Sorry for the newbie question, but how do I recognize a CX-5 false? I'll watch for those to see how prevalent they are here.

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm currently running K Narrow, K Filter On, MRCD Off, TSF On, and both K-blocks on Weak. So far, I'm finding this combination much quieter in SE Michigan than MRCD On because we have far more Caddies, Jeeps, and Pacificas than Mazdas here. Sorry for the newbie question, but how do I recognize a CX-5 false? I'll watch for those to see how prevalent they are here.
It will be K Band frequency 24.123 or 24.124.
As you get closer to the back of a Mazda, it will get stronger, and you'll be able to read CX-5 on the back, and it will drop off signal as you pass by or fall back.
Not all but many CX-5 do this.

metroplex

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I've passed Mazda CX-5s and CX-9s around here and have yet to hear any kind of K-band signal from my R3 with MRCD Off. I know there are a few in my neighborhood. With R7's MRCD On, I apparently am getting falses from Cadillacs and lots of 24.160 FCA.

oversteer325

Caution, Anchor May Drop Suddenly
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I've passed Mazda CX-5s and CX-9s around here and have yet to hear any kind of K-band signal from my R3 with MRCD Off. I know there are a few in my neighborhood. With R7's MRCD On, I apparently am getting falses from Cadillacs and lots of 24.160 FCA.
R3’s on 1.50 firmware rarely false to Mazda’s.

Gabby

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
With TSF on and the K1 and K2 set to weak I have noticed my R7 was noticeably quieter. MRCD is also on. I had the advanced set to 70% and the rear balance also at 70%. I tend to use advanced within the city.
I also have my quiet ride set to 40 KPH.... no need for a detector if I'm not speeding! That takes care of school zones in my neck of the woods. I've been playing with the K block set to on without any noticeable difference so still not sure where it'll end up.
Both K and Ka set to wide.
In the city, pretty quiet with the auto block starting to take care of the door openers.
On the highway very quiet.
I'm really starting to appreciate the the versatility of my R7. Not for everyone for sure, if all you want is a plug in and go. Though the default setting can be good enough. The real power of this detector is in it's ability to be customized to a person's unique situation(s)
I need to start writing down the different frequencies that are used in my area so I can be a little more selective with the KA segmentation, and/or the wide/narrow options for both K and KA.
Should be ready for my Camaro this summer!!!

metroplex

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I had to set my rear balance to 100% for faster arrow transitions and for it to display side arrows. Works a lot better now. Maybe has to do with the type of vehicle. I have been using it in my Explorer so there is more stuff to attenuate the rear horn??

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I had to set my rear balance to 100% for faster arrow transitions and for it to display side arrows. Works a lot better now. Maybe has to do with the type of vehicle. I have been using it in my Explorer so there is more stuff to attenuate the rear horn??
I will have to try rear antenna at 100% and see if it improves over the 80% I use, which was fine on 133.
Thanks.

metroplex

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I've been playing with the K-Band settings on R7 1.35 to address BSM falsing. I noticed with K-Block 1 and 2 Weak, K-Narrow, TSF On, MRCD On, and K at 50% or higher, it will pick up 24.160 FCA BSM when the Jeep is very close to me, but is generally quiet. At 60% or greater it will start to pick up a lot more false signals.

Right now I have it set to 40% K-band, with rear balance on 100%. What are the chances this will not pick up a legit police K-band signal? Should I go to K-Wide or increase K-Band power and live with a bit more falsing? It's not everyday I run into police K-Band. It's hardly used in my part of SE MI except the 1 time I saw Warren PD pull over someone. I hear K-band is used by Royal Oak and other smaller municipalities.

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I've been playing with the K-Band settings on R7 1.35 to address BSM falsing. I noticed with K-Block 1 and 2 Weak, K-Narrow, TSF On, MRCD On, and K at 50% or higher, it will pick up 24.160 FCA BSM when the Jeep is very close to me, but is generally quiet. At 60% or greater it will start to pick up a lot more false signals.

Right now I have it set to 40% K-band, with rear balance on 100%. What are the chances this will not pick up a legit police K-band signal? Should I go to K-Wide or increase K-Band power and live with a bit more falsing? It's not everyday I run into police K-Band. It's hardly used in my part of SE MI except the 1 time I saw Warren PD pull over someone. I hear K-band is used by Royal Oak and other smaller municipalities.
Once you get access to the testing sections, you will see things to make you feel a whole lot better about reducing K Band % on the R7.
40-50% K Band on the R7 is as sensitive and equaling maximum (useable) Highway setting ranges of many premium detectors, so think of 50% beating the likes of Pro M, Max 360 & 360c, DualPro 360, Etc. Only the new Redline 360c can match outright K range of the R7. None can match it's responsiveness or ability to alert quickly to a short burst signal.
Even City mode is incredibly sensitive, none of the other detectors come close when they are in City mode and filtered down.
Use all your filters, and run whatever K% gives you the enjoyable drive you desire.
Highway mode is a quick button press away for maximum range when you're heavy footed on the open road, looking for that long distance early warning.
Myself. I would reduce rear balance down a bit to say 70-80%, this helps some with those annoying 24.160 and 24.068-70 BSMs coming from FCA and Cadillac vehicles, as many will trigger rear horn after you pass then. Rear detection distance is still huge. My 80% matched the Redline 360c rear 100% last night on Ka.
K Narrow is best for most drivers, unless you live in a K Band hell where they don't tune the guns frequently.
Rest assured, R7 is providing you with excellent protection on every band.
Hope this helps.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danimajado