2.9.0 released

WildOne

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@johnboy00 is there an easy way to get out of standalone mode other than killing the app and restarting?
Thanks for all your work!

dn0t

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Next update will have options for color, width, and style (solid, dashed, dotted).
Got a few hundred miles on the new release yesterday - solid work as per usual. Had a couple encounters with the new green/red trails and found them helpful.

If you are investing time in customizing the appearance of these, might suggest including an option for opacity and/or layer position with respect to the heatmap. When everything is green, the heatmap is more important data than no reports ahead. If I could lower the green path's opacity to 20% or layer heatmap above the path when green, think it would provide more valuable operational awareness at a glance.

Also might suggest looking at sound design for the notifications. The new notifications of a reduced speed zone share the same alert sound as CSAs/aircraft. Like to hear these notifications, but a different sound would help disambiguate a change in speed zone from an upcoming threat.

LibbyD

PSL +5
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
For some reason since the update, the app now closes after 3-7 minutes of working fine. It's probably the old MotoG phone that needs to be replaced. But it never happened before the update. Weird.
MotoG, Android version 5.1, secutity patch level 2016-03-01, kernel v 3.4.42

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
For some reason since the update, the app now closes after 3-7 minutes of working fine. It's probably the old MotoG phone that needs to be replaced. But it never happened before the update. Weird.
MotoG, Android version 5.1, secutity patch level 2016-03-01, kernel v 3.4.42
The new map stuff uses more memory. It may not run well on older phones with little memory (< 2GB), or on Android 5.x which has really bad memory management. This was a consideration moving forward, but I can't continue to develop to the lowest common denominator forever. Soon, I'll probably have to end support for 5.x.

elantra04

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The new map stuff uses more memory. It may not run well on older phones with little memory (< 2GB), or on Android 5.x which has really bad memory management. This was a consideration moving forward, but I can't continue to develop to the lowest common denominator forever. Soon, I'll probably have to end support for 5.x.
Especially when decent android phones which run version 11 can be had on eBay and swappa for under $100 (shout out to pixel 2 or 3a).

LibbyD

PSL +5
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thanks for that info. Since this phone is used for absolutely nothing except running JBV1, I went in and cleared out/disabled all that I could find. Maybe that will free up enough to keep it going a bit longer.

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for that info. Since this phone is used for absolutely nothing except running JBV1, I went in and cleared out/disabled all that I could find. Maybe that will free up enough to keep it going a bit longer.
The worst things for chewing up memory are two alert map options:

1) Animation
2) Range circles in combination with animation

It isn't that they use gobs of memory, but they can chew up memory faster than the system garbage collector can free up chunks that are no longer in use, especially on Android 5, and to a lesser degree on Android 6+ (this seems to improve with every generation of Android). If you have alert map animation enabled, try turning that off first.

surprisinguy

Government can only give what it takes...
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
When you turn off animation, what exactly changes on the screen?

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
When you turn off animation, what exactly changes on the screen?
Instead of the map camera moving smoothly from one location to the next, it jumps right to the next location. All the individual draws that make up the animation require a lot of memory allocations in a very short amount of time, and it never gets a rest while you're moving. With animation off, it only allocates a little memory about once per second.

surprisinguy

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
New question -
Seems my Auto mode for Big and Little L is no longer working/switching - It's staying the same at speed limits and when stopped it's still on little L.

surprisinguy

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
never mind - it's my freaking eyes - I think the font is smaller though - or not!! jeez

surprisinguy

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Any way to fix wrong speed limits now?

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Any way to fix wrong speed limits now?
Not really. Wait a month or so and maybe some will be updated. There are about 3 million miles of paved roads in the USA alone. Keeping all the speed limits in sync is difficult, I would imagine.

KY2019GTMUSTANG

Wherever I May Roam +10
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
New question -
Seems my Auto mode for Big and Little L is no longer working/switching - It's staying the same at speed limits and when stopped it's still on little L.
This is happening to me, but it's not my eyes...lol.

@johnboy00 how do I change the speed mode from Big L to little L at certain speed?
At one point, I had it switch @50mph however now it goes to little L @20mph. Thanks for all you do!

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
This is happening to me, but it's not my eyes...lol.

@johnboy00 how do I change the speed mode from Big L to little L at certain speed?
At one point, I had it switch @50mph however now it goes to little L @20mph. Thanks for all you do!
Screenshot_20210403-100204.png

LibbyD

PSL +5
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
After putting that old phone through a major purge, I took a short 15-20 minute drive and it didn't shut down at all. I even left the animation on. It was only one short trip, but so far, so good, thanks.

The worst things for chewing up memory are two alert map options:

1) Animation
2) Range circles in combination with animation

It isn't that they use gobs of memory, but they can chew up memory faster than the system garbage collector can free up chunks that are no longer in use, especially on Android 5, and to a lesser degree on Android 6+ (this seems to improve with every generation of Android). If you have alert map animation enabled, try turning that off first.

midd

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
First and First, the Nexus of the Universe
If that's the case, I'm glad I dumped my old Joying head unit running Android 5.1.1 for an Atoto S8 (Android 8). It's so much faster and it will hopefully continue to work with JBV1 for a very long time.

surprisinguy

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NZdrivepro