Group Perspex Buy

AM21

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Ok, I thought I was on the list, but I guess I missed it somehow?
Oh shoot I did miss you and you were the first one to respond.. Lets let this thread ride out for a little longer for the other tagged people to respond and I will probably be able to get a larger sheet if more people are interested. How many 12x12 were you wanting? Ill just take one instead of 2 so ill have one left on this order if no one else is interested.
Post automatically merged:

You can take my spot
Shouldn't be needed.

Last edited:

HankLloydRight

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I just need to cover two RX sensors in the rear, so I assume one 12"x12" sheet should be enough.

Although I still have no idea what to do with it when I get it! LOL

Thanks.

Bocephus

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I just need to cover two RX sensors in the rear, so I assume one 12"x12" sheet should be enough.

Although I still have no idea what to do with it when I get it! LOL

Thanks.
Welcome to RDF!

jestric

Go Gators!
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I’m willing to go to just one sheet if that helps. Just let me know. 😎

Grumpy Finn

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
What's the difference between Pespex and let's sya Lucite, isn't it just colored acrylic sheeting?

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
With that all sheets will be spoken for initially I might have one extra if I don't mess up my install

@SquirrelMaster - 1 Sheet
@benzr - 2 Sheets
@marc320 - 1 Sheet
@jestric - 2 Sheets

How would you guys like to handle the cost and shipping?
FREE PLEASE 😳😳😳😜😜😜😜😜😜😆 jk

Just PM us individually

Do you accept payal ??

B

I’m willing to go to just one sheet if that helps. Just let me know. 😎
Same here.

Keep the thread going and see if more peeps are
Needing 😎😎

Benzr

Last edited:

CHRIS VIBE RED DEER AB

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Well with the responses I got from my RSQ8 post my responses will be limited in this forum. I will say this does cut just like normal acrylic, it shapes well and depending on the manufacture of the IRT acrylic it will correct it’s own imperfections. Polishing is like if you’ve ever polished your headlights in a way... I’ll sand down to 1000 on the edges and then use a quality detail polish.

lugnuts

PSL lol
Advanced User
Reaction score
What's the difference between Pespex and let's sya Lucite, isn't it just colored acrylic sheeting?
Its not that simple. the pigments used Perspex do not block IR light where as traditional pigments do block IR light. traditional colored transparent black or smoke plastics will use carbon black as the pigment unfortunately carbon black absorbs IR light. Perspex will be "clear" to IR light but appears dark in the visible light spectrum.

I'll take 2 squares or rather 1 12 x 24 square.

Quasimodal

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I'll take sheet if somebody is ordering more.

Starbuck

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I'd like a couple of sheets as well if there is still opportunity to get in on this.

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Good to see this going on. I don't need any, but I'm running some already. It's excellent. Can't even see through it. Got mine CNC machined to the perfect shape I needed. I love it. Looks slick. Looks OEM due to the cut being perfect. Whoever came up with this idea is an absolute champion! Best ever thing I've got out of RDF website.
Best application I've seen is using magnets to attach it to the car to hold it in place. Almost like a custom cut cover.
All depends what you're after though.

HankLloydRight

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Can you explain more about how you got it CNCd from a flat sheet? I'm in for one sheet, but still have no idea what to do with it.

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Can you explain more about how you got it CNCd from a flat sheet? I'm in for one sheet, but still have no idea what to do with it.
That's easy. I found a plastics workshop that made a CAD file of a particular car part I took in. Got the spare part from a junkyard. Handed it over for the shape to be copied. File created. Handed over the Perspex and some cash. Done. Basically carved it out of a sheet. By this I mean I actually got left with a complete surround cut out from the leftover offcut. Looked like they cookie cut the shapes out of the plastic, but would have been cut according to the CAD file by machine. I then crafted the junkyard part to accommodate the Perspex. Went back to the shop, asked them to drill symmetrical holes where I wanted. I fabricated some custom brackets to attach the Perspex to the car part and bolted it to it.
I did have one shop reject the job, but think it was purely due to them making Covid cash register cough shields. Too busy, but the guy who did it was a champion. I payed cash and think it went straight into his pocket. Pretty sure he was arriving early or working through his lunch hour. Cost me about $100 which isn't cheap, but doesn't compare to anything I could have done with tools at home. Wasn't cheap, but there was no way I was going to get the finish I wanted, absolutely no chance of being able to cut the shape at home with a saw or knife. From a distance you would not spot it. Up close you don't really think about it as the shape is cut to the car basically. Looks normal.
Only catch is you're cleaning bugs off it, but is takes the insect impact and road debris off the head itself, and shields it from water (won't say it protects it from water, but it's like a protective screen). Should make the head last longer I think. If you want to go about it this way, don't rip the plastic coating off the Perspex when it arrives. You'll need this left on when machining and it prevents scratches to the finish. Remove this last of all.
I should have bought stocks and shares in Perspex at the start of last year. Who saw that coming in the pandemic? Plastic sales going through the roof!

After doing this I got another idea. Yet to test it though. Cctv cameras have the ir night vision LED ring around the lens. Wondered if these LEDs would also shine through the Perspex? If so, I'm thinking of mounting some behind a panel on the front of the car and wiring up some kind of remote wifi switch to activate them on and off. Alternatively, just leave them on all night attached to their own power source. Then maybe drill and fit a pinhole type wifi camera in my front bumper, or mount an old phone on the dash and use a camera app.
This way I can park my car out front of my place and tether the wifi to the car at night. Remote login to the car camera and flick the night vision on and see what's going on. Bit like making an it floodlight for the camera. Perspex might prevent anyone seeing the glow from the LED as well.
Idea is good in theory, but yet to test the LED through the Perspex before getting too carried away. Haven't got around to this yet, but with the offcuts left over and the plastic being so specific to the wavelength, it might be worth the test. Might need some strong leds though.
Did see on Amazon a dash cam or screen type setup that already does this though. Guy was able to drive around at night with the headlights off and just watch the screen. You could see quite well in the dark using this.

Last edited:

HankLloydRight

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Ok, I have friends who can laser cut the Perspex to a CAD file. But how do you get it bent and shaped correctly to fit the rear ALP RX sensors on the back of my trunk so they look more like 'stock' trim?

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Ok, I have friends who can laser cut the Perspex to a CAD file. But how do you get it bent and shaped correctly to fit the rear ALP RX sensors on the back of my trunk so they look more like 'stock' trim?
Ah I see what you're talking about.
I used it flat, but had to pick my spots to use it. I have yet to install rears, but I thought I'd make a kind of enclosure for the heads out of the Perspex and follow the boot lines as I have a kind of overhang where the boot handle is. I'd have to blend that in but I could make it stock looking. I can see some cars will be a pain to do this too, or next to impossible to go down this route.
Wasn't many options in the front area I covered only had an ever so slight curve in a recessed area I'd chosen. I had to compensate for this and there is a slight gap but it's no more than 5mm and not noticeable.
No major plastic moulding happened.
I did think about this, and wondered if stretching it and heating it had any effect on its properties. I can't answer this. I can see how cool that would be and the potential of it. I'm sure there's plastic guru's that can do it. Unsure if there's anyone like that round my way.
Wondered if this stuff could also be melted down and blow/injection moulded into a shape of choice?
I'm not sure how the IR is actually made either. Maybe they treat it with a form of colouring. If it is melted, I'm not sure if it will keep its colour consistent, or whatever it is made of will seperate itself.
I'm no plastic chemical expert, but someone on here should know more. Last time I worked with plastics was in high school. You may be able to moderately heat it and press a part into it, but think there would be a heat threshold and sweet spot to get it right. OR a proper machine that can do this.
I could probably find an old sauce pan and heat a bit up for you guys if you want to see it? I doubt you want to smell it though and I'm unsure how I'm going to feel after inhaling it haha! Don't think were attempting to turn this into liquid first.
Did see a thread titled 3D printing Perspex on here but haven't looked into it.
I'll try and find a video I watched on YouTube where I think a guy did what you're talking about on the rear of a car. Just light take me a while to find it. Have heard of people cutting out panels and Perspex straight over the cutout, but that's a bit much.

Last edited:

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Can't find the video. Been flicking through for a while now. Thought I'd saved it, but quite a few deleted videos, so maybe this was one of them.
Basically, if you've seen the number plate surrounds, it's pretty much the same, except this was curved and moulded to the cars shape. Best version I've seen. If I find it I'll post it.

AM21

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Okay so for an update I have if I missed you please let me know and I will add you to the list. If I didnt miss anyone there are 2 sheets of 12x12 left and I will be looking to order this weekend. as said in my message above I will use Pay Pal to collect the funds for the sheets upfront and this way it is refundable if anything were to happen with the order.

@AM21 - 2 Sheets
@benzr - 2 Sheets
@marc320 - 1 Sheet
@jestric - 2 Sheets
@HankLloydRight - 1 Sheet
@lugnuts - 2 Sheets
@Quasimodal - 1 Sheet
@Starbuck - 2 Sheets

@Redline411 - Think you said you might be interested?

grayman

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Make a buck, lay perpex heated to 300f on buck and it will lay down to the shape.

Okay so for an update I have if I missed you please let me know and I will add you to the list. If I didnt miss anyone there are 2 sheets of 12x12 left and I will be looking to order this weekend. as said in my message above I will use Pay Pal to collect the funds for the sheets upfront and this way it is refundable if anything were to happen with the order.

@AM21 - 2 Sheets
@benzr - 2 Sheets
@marc320 - 1 Sheet
@jestric - 2 Sheets
@HankLloydRight - 1 Sheet
@lugnuts - 2 Sheets
@Quasimodal - 1 Sheet
@Starbuck - 2 Sheets

@Redline411 - Think you said you might be interested?
@AM21 add me for the remaining two sheets, message me your paypal details and I'll get you paid ASAP

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kidnapper49