R7 w/ 1.35 has unusable arrows

snomad

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
If we're going nautical; Shots

I don't have many miles on mine yet, and only speed signs and door openers, but my arrows react as I would expect.

I say this never having arrows before my R7 with 1.35, so take my observations for what they're worth 😉
A shot or shackle is 15 fathoms or 90 feet. A cable is 600 feet or 1/10 of a nautical mile. a British cable varies slightly.

RayC

Driving
Beginner User
Reaction score
Updated to 1.35 about a week ago just to see if it added anything for me. I was initially ok with it but have seen some poor arrow performance a couple of times now which was pretty near perfect on older firmware. I was on v1.29 so jumped up 2 firmware versions. I plan on going back to 1.29 as I don't like the equalized alert volume that was introduced at 1.33. Already had lockouts set for some time so auto lockouts didn't add anything and the way I ran it on version 1.29 it rarely falsed. Had they not had the option to downgrade firmware versions I would have regretted updating it. Was running at 60% K but with more seat time on 1.35 I feel it falses too much where city was about as close to zero falsing as you can get. If they get the arrows better I may give it another go.

Last edited:

NoahWL

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I finally got to do some highway driving with my rear horn set to 100% sensitivity on 1.35. I depend on the fast transition speed of the arrows most in moderately busy traffic at highway speeds since in those conditions I'm most likely to miss a stealthy LEO. Compared to 70% rear balance, I still noticed a similar transition delay when passing a stationary or oncoming KA (I haven't run into any legitimate K as far as I'm aware).

However, I did notice that the arrows would flip to the side as I was passing a BSM source (on the highway I typically turn the K blocks off). This is what I came to expect from 1.33 even with 70% rear balance, and is a nice way to confirm that I indeed passed a BSM source rather than an I/O shot up ahead. Unfortunately I have to switch back to 70% because at 100% the R7 picks up too many BSMs after passing them in the oncoming lanes on divided highways without concrete barriers.

On 1.33 I would expect a near instantaneous arrow flip when passing a source at highway speeds regardless of the rear balance setting. I also preferred the erratic front/side/rear arrow flips as that typically indicated I was very close to the source. The R7 will sometimes peg the meter when facing on-axis shots, even a mile away and over slight hills (I.e on-axis, but not in direct line of sight of the source).

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I found arrow performance on 133 to be lacking but somewhat useful. I'm about to drive with 135 for the first time with fingers crossed. Is there a consensus at to how the rear balance setting affects arrow performance?

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I do have videos of passes here on testing 135 vs. 133.
K Band was about 50% slower on 135.
Ka band was just plain poor IMO.
Firmware 133 was best Ka transition, matching or besting the Max 360 which was doing well with transition, as does my Max 360c and Redline 360c.
Uniden needs to revert and recapture the better 133 transition.

LawHawg

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Having come from a Pro M with no arrows, I am quite satisfied with my new R7 once I dialed it in per @DCFluid recommendations.

Recently I was in a parking lot and Ka went off with arrow behind. No LE in sight due to surrounding obstructions. Thought it was a false alert. I'll be darned but a couple of minutes later the R7 transitions to side arrows and LE becomes visible on road located next to parking lot.

CollinsBJ911

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I noticed my detector arrows were not working nearly as well as they did in the previous firmware release 1.33 when I upgraded to 1.35. After changing the Rear Bal from 70% to 100% the arrows seemed to work better, (i.e. responding in a timely manner). Has anyone else had the same experience? Shouldn't the arrow response be independent of the rear balance setting?

metroplex

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I tried 70% rear balance and the arrows were sluggish. Went to 100% and it is more timely. Just today there were 2 police cars on the opposite side of the road running Ka. As soon as we passed (they were now behind me), the arrow followed within 1-2 seconds. This is 1.35 firmware

Izzyrd

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I tried 70% rear balance and the arrows were sluggish. Went to 100% and it is more timely. Just today there were 2 police cars on the opposite side of the road running Ka. As soon as we passed (they were now behind me), the arrow followed within 1-2 seconds. This is 1.35 I d

I tried 70% rear balance and the arrows were sluggish. Went to 100% and it is more timely. Just today there were 2 police cars on the opposite side of the road running Ka. As soon as we passed (they were now behind me), the arrow followed within 1-2 seconds. This is 1.35 firmware
So far for me, I don't have any issues with the arrows with 1.35. I do have mine set at 100% Rear Balance which coincides @DC Fluid 's suggestion.

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
So far for me, I don't have any issues with the arrows with 1.35. I do have mine set at 100% Rear Balance which coincides @DC Fluid 's suggestion.
I suggested I would try it. ;)
I don't have an opinion yet as my time has been sucked up trying out my new Redline 360c and Max 360c.
I do suggest, that the R7 is one great detector head to head with the best of the rest.:cool:

metroplex

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I still get the odd 24.160 BSM from a Jeep but they have to be very close.

Now the interesting part is that when my R3 used to show a Ka alert, my R7 shows MRCD. I never turned MRCD on with the R3, but with it on using the R7, I get alerts at odd spots like certain intersections at certain parts of the week. There's no set time or schedule on some of these. It's possible they are false MRCD but when I get the alert, it is usually a full power signal.

snomad

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I still get the odd 24.160 BSM from a Jeep but they have to be very close.

Now the interesting part is that when my R3 used to show a Ka alert, my R7 shows MRCD. I never turned MRCD on with the R3, but with it on using the R7, I get alerts at odd spots like certain intersections at certain parts of the week. There's no set time or schedule on some of these. It's possible they are false MRCD but when I get the alert, it is usually a full power signal.
I just had the same thing happen to me a couple days ago and as far as I know there is no MCRD in Washington. However, I did have MCRD on to help defeat BSM on Mazda CX's

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I think many will find places that there are traffic sensors at lights that emit a modulating radar, that can trigger an MRCD/CT alert, or K Band, or other.
K band would be easiest to filter out as a modulating signal would not pass as a CW as easily.
I've had locations with several K door openers alert as MRCD to many brands of detectors.
The R7 seems to be the most resistant to falsing however, as many of mine MRCD false to vehicle BSM, door openers, traffic sensors and mystery sources.
R7 ingores 99% for me, by far the best and the only detector I want to run with MRCD on.
(Pro M I don't include in this as it's full time with the wife)

metroplex

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I think traffic sensors are what’s triggering my MRCD alerts. They come on strong and fast and mainly at intersections or Michigan lefts. The auto lockouts have been working nice though so the R7 has locked out several of these without me having to touch anything.

bslaws

Land of Spuds and Gems.
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have a 35.5 gun pointing out the window at my house. When I startup in the morning, detector says rear Ka band but arrows show to the side. Also noticed that arrows rarely show to the rear anymore (mostly noticed on Ka). After passing a source, I get front notification forever, then maybe side before it fades away.

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have a 35.5 gun pointing out the window at my house. When I startup in the morning, detector says rear Ka band but arrows show to the side. Also noticed that arrows rarely show to the rear anymore (mostly noticed on Ka). After passing a source, I get front notification forever, then maybe side before it fades away.
I noticed on my tests of 133 vs 135 that 135 arrows are poor against the stationary Ka setup, and took forever to switch.
K band arrows were about 50% more in distance to switch.
133 was equal to or better than a Max 360 which was really good.

rwsmith123

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I thought the arrows were useable, until I moved the location of the detector. I was using a 3 suction cup mount I had bought for the R3, just switched to the big single suction cup mount that came with the R7 and I also changed the location a bit but now the rear antenna is partially blocked by the rear view mirror. Now the arrows won’t even switch to the rear after passing some speed signs. It switches from front to sides at the same point it did before. Changing rear balance from 70 to 100 didn’t help. I still get BSM alerts on the rear so the antenna can’t be blocked that badly.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kidnapper49