R7 w/ 1.35 has unusable arrows

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
The arrows would be a simple fix in a short time to just revert to 133 behavior for now.
Problem is, this may not be a priority for Attowave, and updates tend to be like omnibus legislation, cram everything they can into one and done, instead of a bunch of little fixes.
So the arrow fix may be waiting until they perfect and test Auto Mute Memory algorithms and release it all at once.

RedThread

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Wait a minute. You're not saying it's doing auto lockouts on car BSMs are you? You're saying it's blocking out BSMs through filters, right? Auto lockouts are for K band noise coming from businesses with electric doors and alarm systems.
Regrettably, that supposition is not my experience... in my consistent semi-urban drives using HWY mode, block 1/2 weak, I experience auto lockout announcements to 24.2x and 24.1x BSMs, not just stationary K sources.... Upon signal/BSM recurring in that path the grayed out frequency will continue (as expected) as long as the signal strength is present. There does not appear to be a maximum radius (?distance) to the triggered autolockout..

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Regrettably, that supposition is not my experience... in my consistent semi-urban drives using HWY mode, block 1/2 weak, I experience auto lockout announcements to 24.2x and 24.1x BSMs, not just stationary K sources.... Upon signal/BSM recurring in that path the grayed out frequency will continue (as expected) as long as the signal strength is present. There does not appear to be a maximum radius (?distance) to the triggered autolockout..
This is one feature I don't like with the Uniden lockouts.
If you lock out, it stays locked out while travelling until the signal drops off.
I would like to see a limit put on it so when you are in a locked out zone, and another close frequency like a LEO is nearby or travelling your direction, the lockout stops after a distance, say 1000 meters from the lockout GPS origin point.
At least then it wouldn't have a possible distance to infinity.

aim4squirrels

Currently edging... Coming soon!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Well, if a BSM does get locked out by the detector in the improbable but possible scenario that a BSM is in the same frequency range and Geographic locale three times in a row, so long as you pass that area again without the offending signal, it should unlock after 2 passes, correct?

Lockouts from any detector have never been without some risk of blocking a legit LEO incursion. This is the price you pay for convenience with any current detector that employs onboard autonomous lockouts. You have to weigh the risk reward of using them, and if you deem it too risky, don't use them.

If the lockout stays active until the signal drops, that's fine by me. If the locked out signal were more than a predetermined 1000 ft diameter, another lockout would just be assigned and you'd have another 1000 feet of covered signal masking an LEO anyway if that LEO were operating within the new covered zone. At some point that stationary signal is going to end, and that's exactly when I'd want the lockout to end. If the extremely rare chance that the perfect LEO signal were right there at the end of the locked out signal diameter to carry on the lockout behavior, well then I guess your goose would be cooked, but it would likely be anyway as you'd more than likely simply assume the locked out signal was reacquired and needs another lock out anyway.

Personally, I'd chalk up more potential lockout mistakes to manual user defined lockouts than automatic lockouts, assuming the tech is working correctly. At some point the driver has to be somewhat responsible for their own situational awareness.

Last edited:

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Well, if a BSM does get locked out by the detector in the improbable but possible scenario that a BSM is in the same frequency range and Geographic locale three times in a row, so long as you pass that area again without the offending signal, it should unlock after 2 passes, correct?

Lockouts from any detector have never been without some risk of blocking a legit LEO incursion. This is the price you pay for convenience with any current detector that employs onboard autonomous lockouts. You have to weigh the risk reward of using them, and if you deem it too risky, don't use them.

If the lockout stays active until the signal drops, That's fine by me. If the locked out signal were more than a predetermined 1000 ft diameter, another lockout would just be assigned and you'd have another 1000 feet of covered signal masking an LEO anyway if that LEO were operating within the new covered zone. At some point that stationary signal is going to end, and that's exactly when I'd want the lockout to end. If the extremely rare chance that the perfect LEO signal were right there at the end of the locked out signal diameter to carry on the lockout behavior, well then I guess your goose would be cooked, but it would likely be anyway as you'd more than likely simply assume the locked out signal was reacquired and needs another lock out anyway.

Personally, I'd chalk up more potential lockout mistakes to manual user defined lockouts than automatic lockouts, assuming the tech is working correctly. At some point the driver has to be somewhat responsible for their own situational awareness.
1000ft?? Pffft! Meters my man! Multiply by 3.3! :p:p:p

Gatortotz

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I haven't really noticed much of an issue with the arrows on 1.35. Been loving this update.
Have you guys reset to factory settings after updating the firmware?

NoahWL

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I did reset. I forgot to mention I set my rear balance to my usual 70%. I'll try bumping that back up to 100%.

wellfleetion

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I picked up a cop traveling towards me on a backroad using KA last night. It took a good full 10 seconds from the time I passed him before mph arrows shifted. Crazy slow response.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I haven't been running my R7 a lot in the last week or so and I usually face I/O so maybe I just haven't noticed because of that. That said, it must be a little tricky to get this right with arrow detectors.

Having to balance between the two antennas and try to guess which one has the stronger signal without allowing it to bounce back and forth which a lot of people complain about would mean giving it a certain amount of damping and if you give it too much damping that obviously delays transitioning. The G2 had bad transitions with one of the early firmware releases as well but it was pretty quickly fixed.

I'm guessing this will be pretty easily fixed and we shouldn't have to wait 6 to 8 months for it since it's not a huge difference like adding Auto lockouts.

rwsmith123

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I think it’s a software latch timer issue. Was trying it out today, passed a K band speed sign by a pretty good distance, arrow was pointing back as it should have been, did a u-turn to take another pass at it and it a long time for the arrow to switch from pointing back to forwards.

FrostWolf

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score

Disco47

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I've only had one detection on my new R7. But it seemed to flip fairly quick. Maybe 3 or 4 seconds after going past the cop. The speed of the arrows is similar to my Max 360.

sctdg

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Like I said before it's like when I was a Scout dog handler you need to learn how to read your dog's alerts. But there was no guaranty you weren't going to walk into an ambush. Nothing in life is definite . Even detectors like dogs have their limitations . We as Scout dog handlers were taught how to use our own senses, we were scouts and it is almost the same when avoiding police radar. Situational awareness .

fliegenfischen

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I recorded 7-10 second delay with arrow changing from FWD to REAR. My old v1 was instantaneous. Def a bug

Izzyrd

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I can’t seem to rely upon them at all anymore. They seem confused as to the source most of the time and when they do get it right, they almost always either fail to change direction when passing or change so comically late it lacks any real use as a situational awareness tool.

Anyone else experience this w/ 1.35?
Mine is working just fine and indeed fixed the jerky arrow flipping with the previous fw 1.33.

RedThread

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I recorded 7-10 second delay with arrow changing from FWD to REAR. My old v1 was instantaneous. Def a bug
yes, that highly scientific, double blind test means that the fw is bugged...
smdh

snomad

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Furlongs.
Cables
Post automatically merged:

I've had several instances where mine hasn't flipped at all passing WSP running KA going the opposite direction on an undivided two lane highway. Three instances in one day really made me wonder what's going on as other times it flips right on the money and others there is a significant lag. the consistent inconsistency is puzzling.

Last edited:

Izzyrd

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

Maz3

Don't hate me just because I'm beautiful 🤣
Intermediate User
Reaction score
If we're going nautical; Shots

I don't have many miles on mine yet, and only speed signs and door openers, but my arrows react as I would expect.

I say this never having arrows before my R7 with 1.35, so take my observations for what they're worth 😉

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kidnapper49