R7 w/ 1.35 has unusable arrows

elantra04

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I can’t seem to rely upon them at all anymore. They seem confused as to the source most of the time and when they do get it right, they almost always either fail to change direction when passing or change so comically late it lacks any real use as a situational awareness tool.

Anyone else experience this w/ 1.35?

GregTec5

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Give it time I’m pretty sure they are aware.

This was a big update for them so allow them to perfect it.

TurboDriver

One foot on the brake, one on the gas...
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have read quite a few comments on this, however, I have not noticed it, they seem to transition pretty good for me. I usually use the arrows for informational purposes on an alert as to original location not for a switching as I pass a source.

Mythic01

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Tbh I haven't really explored the new "basic" and "expert" modes, along with other functionality like sensitivity percentages etc.

But for me as a user, who really doesn't mess with the settings and keeps the detector at highway mode sensitivity levels 24/7, I'm getting lots of auto mute memory on blind spot monitoring false alerts and arrows now don't work at all.

I'm planning to revert to the older firmware asap

elantra04

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Tbh I haven't really explored the new "basic" and "expert" modes, along with other functionality like sensitivity percentages etc.

But for me as a user, who really doesn't mess with the settings and keeps the detector at highway mode sensitivity levels 24/7, I'm getting lots of auto mute memory on blind spot monitoring false alerts and arrows now don't work at all.

so, it's locking out BSMs? I thought it had to pass by the same location of the signal multiple times?

Mythic01

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
so, it's locking out BSMs? I thought it had to pass by the same location of the signal multiple times?
Yup.
I'd say most often it does so at red lights where numerous vehicles with BSM congregate near the detector.

elantra04

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yup.
I'd say most often it does so at red lights where numerous vehicles with BSM congregate near the detector.
That's no good. yuck. It's definitely making me rethink recommending 1.35 to new folks.

GregTec5

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score

It’s been great for me. Curious what are your settings?

RadarScout

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

Yup.
Wait a minute. You're not saying it's doing auto lockouts on car BSMs are you? You're saying it's blocking out BSMs through filters, right? Auto lockouts are for K band noise coming from businesses with electric doors and alarm systems.

jonup

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I can’t seem to rely upon them at all anymore. They seem confused as to the source most of the time and when they do get it right, they almost always either fail to change direction when passing or change so comically late it lacks any real use as a situational awareness tool.

While I have noticed that sometimes the arrows are slow to change, I haven't had issue with initial detections. I have had a few really, really good saves, particularly from the rear that would have potentially saved me some jail time. I'm not saying they don't need to work on the arrows, just that it is not as bad as it is being portrait. But then it's 2021, I shouldn't expect anything else.

GregTec5

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Pretty much stock settings in highway/expert mode.
So for me I run Highway Mode and Rear at 100%
TSF ON
MRCD ON (Helps with BSM)
K Wide
KA Wide

Expert mode just allows you to get deeper in the menu.

Give that a try and see what you think.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score

It's the same as it's always been for me with my R7 across all firmware versions. The arrows are often way off-base. A delay I can deal with somewhat, but the R7 is not very good with directional indication of sources overall. Thankfully it makes up for it with some outstanding range for the price, and now Auto Learn on a budget.

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
While I have noticed that sometimes the arrows are slow to change, I haven't had issue with initial detections. I have had a few really, really good saves, particularly from the rear that would have potentially saved me some jail time. I'm not saying they don't need to work on the arrows, just that it is not as bad as it is being portrait. But then it's 2021, I shouldn't expect anything else.
What I have noticed in testing, while having 2 radar guns back to back like a LEO car running front & rear antennas on, is firmware 133 was fast and accurate to transition on both K and Ka band, after passing the source. I think the attempt was to fix the arrows jumping around a bit and to the sides before getting parallel the source.
Now with 135 K band is 50% slower to switch.
On 135 Ka is really slow, almost leaving the reception zone at time before switching to rear.

This was tested with 2 R7s with different firmwares loaded, and a Max 360 included in the evaluation.
IMO firmware 133 arrows are superior on only needed to calm the arrow switching to side alert prematurely, but would take 133 over 135 arrows any day.

scoobylovesjazz

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I don't have many miles on the update yet (and have only ever run the update) but the arrows have been reasonably accurate for me.

NoahWL

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the new arrow behavior either. The 1.33 arrows switched front -> side -> rear near instantaneously, and I only noticed them jumping around when I was surrounded by buildings that would bounce the signal around. Even then it'd only do it when I was right on top of the source and moving slow/stopped.

On 1.35 I've counted to 5 before the arrows switched after passing an LEO on the opposite side of the highway, and the signal sometimes ramps down just before it "reacquires" it on the rear again. After it's switched to the horn facing the source the signal is stronger. It's as if it's waiting for the initial horn to drop the signal before switching to the other. Additionally, when passing strong BSMs (K blocks off for max highway range) I no longer get the brief arrow flip to the rear before the signal fades.

The menus are cluttered enough as it is, but an "Arrow Transition Speed: Fast/Slow" option would be nice to have (though the choice of individual signal strength meters for each horn would be even better). At the least I hope Uniden finds a happy medium between fast transitions and stable arrows.

elantra04

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I’m not overly familiar with the speed in which Uniden issues firmware updates. Any guesses on when/if we can expect a firmware update that fixes the arrow issue?

user

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
If they get right on it, maybe 6-8 months.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kidnapper49