Uniden R7 suction cups - hate them

CheatDay2020

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Any ideas? Mounting at the top of my windshield via a mirror tap. V1 gen 2 had no issues, used alcohol to clean them, the 2 suction cups won’t stick that came with the R7. Having to use the one large suction cup. Any ideas or replacements? Mounting in an SQ5.
Thanks!

WildOne

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Any ideas? Mounting at the top of my windshield via a mirror tap. V1 gen 2 had no issues, used alcohol to clean them, the 2 suction cups won’t stick that came with the R7. Having to use the one large suction cup. Any ideas or replacements? Mounting in an SQ5.
Thanks!
In all seriousness...spit on them!

oversteer325

Caution, Anchor May Drop Suddenly
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Buy one of the eBay permanent mounts and use 3M dual lock tape or the VHB adhesive they come with. Then you never have to worry about it again.

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks!
Just use 3M or Gorilla mounting tape 30 pound rating.
At most hardware stores.
Remove the suction cups and rubber bumper.
Apply tape and trim to shape.
Clean windshield.
Attach mount with the tape.
Clean, tight, never fall off.
Post automatically merged:

Post in thread 'UNIDEN R7 - All discussions relating to mounting your R7' https://www.rdforum.org/threads/86090/post-1367493

Last edited:

metroplex

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I bought a Panavise suction cup and found someone on eBay that makes the Uniden to Tripod clip adapter (slides into the top of the Uniden but adapts to a tripod), and connected that to the Panavise. The suction cup is huge and stays on tight. I've been running this setup for almost 2 years. It costs extra (money and time) to piece this together, but the R7 seems to come with a single suction cup solution already. That's what I'd recommend instead of the 2 small ones. I also have a dash cam that has a single cup mount.

louisssss

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
This may not help, but OP, you may have defective ones if they still don't stick after you've cleaned the cups + windshield with alcohol. FYI- you have to give each cup a good push right in the center to form a good suction. My 2 suction cup mount from the R3 and now the R7 have never fallen off since day 1.

YelloEye

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
A hot water soak might bring them back into shape of you've got an edge that's curled. The mount uses generic suction cup mounts. The hardware or craft store should carry new suction cups you can swap in if all else fails.

WildOne

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
A hot water soak might bring them back into shape of you've got an edge that's curled. The mount uses generic suction cup mounts. The hardware or craft store should carry new suction cups you can swap in if all else fails.
Or just get so Valentine1 suction cups. I'm still using my originals from 2008! :)

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
This is what worked for me. (That and avoiding any of the black dots/halftone shading at the top of the windshield around the mirror.)

That's a good question for the OP. @CheatDay2020 - are you trying to mount on the windshield frits? If so, that's going to cause any suction cups (other than the single sticky cup) some problems.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kidnapper49