Printable RX Mounts (Even Smaller) w/ Various Angles

Flonase

Course X
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Had a very reasonable request for even more minimal-sized RX mounts from another forum member. Looking at it now, my original "minimal" RX mounts are a little bit chunky. After failing to work through some file conversion issues, I decided to just create a smaller design based on the forum member's suggestion. I'm calling it the "sub-minimal" RX head mount.

Sub-Minimal RX Mount

RXMountSMFlat01.png

RXMountSMFlat02.png

RXMountSMFlat03.png

The shell thickness has been reduced from 5mm to 2mm. On an FDM printer, I would strongly suggest printing with the rear side oriented down, directly on the build plate. Not only does this eliminate the need for support material, it provides strength in the correct plane. Each layer wraps around the RX head to provide the tension for the interference fit. Layers can separate under stress much more easily than a single layer can crack from an in-plane stress. With the thinner shell thickness, I think this might become more important.

If this looks useful, here's the STL file.

Variations - Different Base Angles

Like the original, I made versions that are tilted up and down. Since it's parameterized, I made versions with increments of 0.25 degrees up to 5.00 degrees of tilt. I'm again assuming an underhung orientation when calling something tilted "up" or "down". Here are some views of the design tilted down by 3.00 degrees:

RXMountSMTiltDown02.png

RXMountSMTiltDown01.png

And a couple tilted up by the same 3.00 degrees. You can see the difference in whether additional material has been added to the front or the back of the top side of the mounts.

RXMountSMTiltUp02.png

RXMountSMTiltUp01.png

Since I'm feeling a little lazy today, and since there are 40 individual STL files, I just made one big zip file that contains all of them.

Custom Tilts

Again, since this is parameterized, I can easily create a custom tilt angle if anyone needs more than five degrees. PM me if you need a different angle, and I can send you an STL file.

SquirrelMaster

Likes Unicorns 🦄
ModSec
Administrator
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I know you were having issues with editing your previous 3d printed parts posts. If you want, i can go ahead and merge them into one thread for you later tonight so its just one resource.

Or you can make a new thread and link to all the 3d printed parts like a table of contents if you want.

Flonase

Course X
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
They do look pretty OEM! How do they seem strength-wise - does a 2mm thickness feel OK? Not too much flex with whatever infill pattern you used?

Grumpy Finn

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
I use 40% fast honeycomb and 4 top layers, 3 bottom and 3 outer perimeter so there's really no room for infill. Takes about an hour to print 2 pieces. 2mm thickness is plenty and they flex just enough for the tape, I think I'm going to put a piece of tape inside where you have that extra space, for no particular reason, just my routing of the cables "pushes" the head a little bit when the trunk is closed. I decided to go with PETG since that's what I had on the printer and ABS (first choice) has those obnoxious fumes while printing, although the finish is nicer. Maybe later since they are easy to replace now.
Post automatically merged:

Oh, they are centered, even though they look off.....

grbracer08

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Does anyone print these this for fee?

grbracer08

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thanks, i was wondering if anyone here prints for a fee, this way they know the ins and outs as they have produced them before.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Does anyone print these this for fee?

There are commercial services that print for a fee. The UPS Store is even getting into the game! Just send them the file you need printed.

Try Jawstech. Have them made from SJS or MJF nylon. I have had really good luck with them. I have 3d printers at work and at home and I still use Jawstech most of the time out of pure laziness. LOL.

Flonase

Course X
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yeah whatever’s cheapest for getting your angle dialed in, then maybe ASA for permanent install of the ones that get you level.

Try Jawstech. Have them made from SJS or MJF nylon. I have had really good luck with them. I have 3d printers at work and at home and I still use Jawstech most of the time out of pure laziness. LOL.
I know I’m a fan of ASA for exterior applications, but are those perhaps even better? When I saw “nylon” I just assumed these were cheap prototyping materials, but maybe not?

Last edited:

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yeah whatever’s cheapest for getting your angle dialed in, then maybe ASA for permanent install of the ones that get you level.

I know I’m a fan of ASA for exterior applications, but are those perhaps even better? When I saw “nylon” I just assumed these were cheap prototyping materials, but maybe not?
Nylon is tough stuff. They make gears for a lot of appliances and tools out of nylon. It's a bit more flexible then ABS but that's usually a good thing. My Shapeways mounts that people can get for the V1G2 and BCD436HP are Nylon too. Shapeways is more expensive than Jawstech though usually.

Grumpy Finn

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thanks, i was wondering if anyone here prints for a fee, this way they know the ins and outs as they have produced them before.
I do, what color would you like. we also do vinyl signs and wraps.

Brilliant

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
These are awesome looking, Great Work. Has anyone tried to cut a piece or Perplex? plastic, to shape, to cover the sensor and hide it from view? Might be even better stealth looking.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joes761