Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
For K band, I only have a Decatur that I'm willing to open up and tune. My HR is basically new so not ready to sacrifice that one for science just yet. @Vortex have anything in K band that you could tune? @Brainstorm69 is set up for reactivity. He may be willing to check if it's any different with MRCD enabled.
hm I picked up a second Bushnell some time ago specifically to putz around with tuning the frequency. It's a Friday afternoon and I'm not super motivated to work on videos so let's goof around with that for now. :p

grayman

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I’ve heard there is some K and in parts of GA and TN. Do you ever see K on the interstate highways or just the local and county roads?
Lots of County Sheriff Dept's use K around Middle TN

VariableWave

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ohhhh, now this actually makes me think of a good testing idea!

Who wants to tune a K band gun to 24.168 or 24.198 and test the weak mode on the R7 vs the G2 filtering?
I have thought about doing this trick. I have a Decatur GenII Select K antenna that transmits, but no reading of target. Work and Weather has stopped me from achieving this.

I did have one Honda breakthrough on 24.10x, and I was about 20ft or leas running Highway and K weak.

jonup

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I probably should keep quiet but its not emo.
I have only had limited (about 200-300miles) experience with R7 and do not own any of the other two. But I gotta say R7 is the chattiest RD I own. That includes BSM, stationary K bank emitters and irrelevant Ka. I started of with bone stock setting on 1.33 just for a baseline. It was in heavy traffic with plenty of LEO presence. So it was a great testing environment I should have used to test the BSM filtering. Impression was way too chatty and similar Ka range to my DFR7 that I ran side by side. Which in turn has very similar Ka band range to my MAX og, which is based on similar platform to the M360(c). The max is the quietest btw. Then I updated to 1.35 and turned down K and rear balances down a bit, notches are on weak and MRCD on. MRCD did take care of the Mazda's, which consistently pierce the max. What was strange, and this fits some of the interest of @OBeerWANKenobi it continued to false, and strongly false to a stationary 24.168 just north of where I live. That's with the k block for it set at weak. So that frequency seems to get picked up just fine when it is not BSM sourced. I have since turned down K band and the rear balance down even further. They are in the ballpark of "Vortex settings" now. BSM falses have been mostly cured, but I might try running City mode too.
What I noticed yesterday as annoyance however is the Ka band sensitivity. I can foresee many of you would not agree with me, but I think that Ka sensitivity is overboosted with little benefit for my usage. I know this is not BSM related, but I got bunch of week Ka detections and no actual Ka threads/LEOs. I think the radar is capable of picking up some super weak Ka but that increases the falses. When I have notices real Ka threads, the range has not been significantly longer than my other 2 detectors. On the same ~100 route on Tuesday I had no or none that I can remember falses with the max in the same vehicle. Next I will be tuning down Ka bands.
As pointed already, it's nice that R7 has the customability to tune out falses, including BSM, but it takes some effort to get there.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have only had limited (about 200-300miles) experience with R7 and do not own any of the other two. But I gotta say R7 is the chattiest RD I own. That includes BSM, stationary K bank emitters and irrelevant Ka. I started of with bone stock setting on 1.33 just for a baseline. It was in heavy traffic with plenty of LEO presence. So it was a great testing environment I should have used to test the BSM filtering. Impression was way too chatty and similar Ka range to my DFR7 that I ran side by side. Which in turn has very similar Ka band range to my MAX og, which is based on similar platform to the M360(c). The max is the quietest btw. Then I updated to 1.35 and turned down K and rear balances down a bit, notches are on weak and MRCD on. MRCD did take care of the Mazda's, which consistently pierce the max. What was strange, and this fits some of the interest of @OBeerWANKenobi it continued to false, and strongly false to a stationary 24.168 just north of where I live. That's with the k block for it set at weak. So that frequency seems to get picked up just fine when it is not BSM sourced. I have since turned down K band and the rear balance down even further. They are in the ballpark of "Vortex settings" now. BSM falses have been mostly cured, but I might try running City mode too.
What I noticed yesterday as annoyance however is the Ka band sensitivity. I can foresee many of you would not agree with me, but I think that Ka sensitivity is overboosted with little benefit for my usage. I know this is not BSM related, but I got bunch of week Ka detections and no actual Ka threads/LEOs. I think the radar is capable of picking up some super weak Ka but that increases the falses. When I have notices real Ka threads, the range has not been significantly longer than my other 2 detectors. On the same ~100 route on Tuesday I had no or none that I can remember falses with the max in the same vehicle. Next I will be tuning down Ka bands.
As pointed already, it's nice that R7 has the customability to tune out falses, including BSM, but it takes some effort to get there.

Yes, the R7 takes some fine tuning as it has a significantly higher sensitivity to K band than most other detectors. You can bring it back to 40% sensitivity and it will still run neck and neck or better with other offerings. I run mine at 50%

I also notice stationary 24.168 popping up a lot lately. Fortunately, it's stationary so get's locked out and the BSM's get taken care of with K block weak.

As far as Ka band, let us know what the frequency is that you are getting alerts on. If they aren't in police radar range you can possibly turn off those segments. If they are in police radar range, you'll most likely get the same alerts with any equally sensitive detector.

And yes, we want as much sensitivity as we can get as it may be the only chance to pick up distant I/O shots.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Depending on your driving situation (terrain, curves, vegetation, etc.) you may not need the extra Ka sensitivity of the R7. I have seen a few (mind you, just a few here) discuss using advanced mode to tune down Ka sensitivity. Wouldn't be my choice, but to each his own, especially if you don't speed by a lot over the PSL.
Post automatically merged:

I have thought about doing this trick. I have a Decatur GenII Select K antenna that transmits, but no reading of target. Work and Weather has stopped me from achieving this.

I did have one Honda breakthrough on 24.10x, and I was about 20ft or leas running Highway and K weak.
Did you mean 24.20x?

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
For K band, I only have a Decatur that I'm willing to open up and tune. My HR is basically new so not ready to sacrifice that one for science just yet. @Vortex have anything in K band that you could tune? @Brainstorm69 is set up for reactivity. He may be willing to check if it's any different with MRCD enabled.
I might be able to do some testing this weekend to see.
hm I picked up a second Bushnell some time ago specifically to putz around with tuning the frequency. It's a Friday afternoon and I'm not super motivated to work on videos so let's goof around with that for now. :p
More testing will be good, especially in regards to the K Block feature. For the sake of full transparency, @DC Fluid's recent testing seems to indicate that K Band sensitivity may have been hampered with 1.35. I intend to do some in the coming weeks to try and confirm this. But there's a lot of data points that come along with this discussion of the detector's quietness.

grayman

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Depending on your driving situation (terrain, curves, vegetation, etc.) you may not need the extra Ka sensitivity of the R7. I have seen a few (mind you, just a few here) discuss using advanced mode to tune down Ka sensitivity. Wouldn't be my choice, but to each his own, especially if you don't speed by a lot over the PSL.

Did you mean 24.20x?
Ditto on that hills, curves, and trees all cut your range pretty dramatically. I'll take all the KA sensitivity the R7 has to offer.

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Did you see pics where I insulated the circuit board and screw driver with electrical tape, to prevent any contact shorting out the Bushnell?
Some have bricked them by accidental touch while tuning.
My tape stays on while assembled now so it's just holding batteries in place while tuning.
I thought of drilling a hole for screw driver access and filling it with rubber grommet, but one of the case screws and molding id directly in the way, so not pretty if I do.

jonup

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yes, the R7 takes some fine tuning as it has a significantly higher sensitivity to K band than most other detectors. You can bring it back to 40% sensitivity and it will still run neck and neck or better with other offerings. I run mine at 50%

I also notice stationary 24.168 popping up a lot lately. Fortunately, it's stationary so get's locked out and the BSM's get taken care of with K block weak.

As far as Ka band, let us know what the frequency is that you are getting alerts on. If they aren't in police radar range you can possibly turn off those segments. If they are in police radar range, you'll most likely get the same alerts with any equally sensitive detector.

And yes, we want as much sensitivity as we can get as it may be the only chance to pick up distant I/O shots.
Thanks for the advice! I am segged so they were legit Ka signal, but from the adjacent surface roads.

I do believe there is such thing as too much of a good thing :wing I will keep messing with it. As I said my 2c are a little premature. I just can't shut up.

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ditto on that hills, curves, and trees all cut your range pretty dramatically. I'll take all the KA sensitivity the R7 has to offer.
My recent tests I have a real life course that everything is sub 1 km receptions.
My other courses I can get the Falcon HR and Bushnell Velocity 8+ kms on a hilly slight off-axis run.
Easily some foliage and terrain can reduce distances 90% or more.

jonup

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

Did you mean 24.20x?
I am not sure what your definition of a lot is? But fairly recently I was cruising at around the speed rating of the winter tires, in mexico of course, and my Max gave me enough notice to slow down well in advance for the awaiting leo. I did get on these brakes with a bit of urgency though :D

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I am not sure what your definition of a lot is? But fairly recently I was cruising at around the speed rating of the winter tires, in mexico of course, and my Max gave me enough notice to slow down well in advance for the awaiting leo. I did get on these brakes with a bit of urgency though :D
Well, I know nothing about winter tires, including what speed rating they go up to. But that generally sounds like a lot to me. Especially if in wintery conditions...lol.

VariableWave

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

Did you mean 24.20x?
No. I meant 24.20x.... hahaha... yeah.
I get them as high as 24.215 now on Hondas, and think up to .219 the other weekend.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
No. I meant 24.20x.... hahaha... yeah.
I get them as high as 24.215 now on Hondas, and think up to .219 the other weekend.
Yeah, that is weird how when you block the 24.20x stuff, sometimes other 24.21x frequencies show up.

VariableWave

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ohhhh, now this actually makes me think of a good testing idea!

Who wants to tune a K band gun to 24.168 or 24.198 and test the weak mode on the R7 vs the G2 filtering?
This Decatur unit puts out at 24.186 +/- need to adjust... which is that magically screw to toy with?

Dk1.jpg
Dk2.jpg
Dk3.jpg
dk4.jpg

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
My V1G2 is VERY quiet for me in my area! That's running A mode with K verifier. I don't run any lockouts or extra filtering with JBV1. Part of the reason for this is that K band reaction and range is nothing at all like Ka band which is by far the best I've ever seen on any detector, especially on off axis. My R1's are also very quiet when running advanced mode at 70% with K-block, TSF, and K filter on. They will also kill my V1G2 against K band even when heavily filtered. I can't wait till VR fixes the K band issues, although some V1G2 owners are fine with it. Lucky for me, I haven't faced any K band except during testing since I've owned my V1G2.

Last edited:

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Last edited:

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
@VariableWave
Brainstorm is probably correct about that screw. Most likely it's either that one or the one right next to it. Just mark it before you turn it so you can go right directly back to where you were in case that's not the screw that adjusts the frequency.

Bossdad71

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
can a kr10 be made to be set a certain frequncy

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danimajado