Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
So for those of you who own multiple detectors, what are your current thoughts on the BSM filtering of the RL360c, V1 Gen2, and R7?

Which detector(s) are you happiest with? Even if you own just one, are you happy with the quietness you're experiencing? (I know it's all subjective to a large extent, but still.)

Looking through my video archive, I've got some older clips of the RL360c falsing to some Hondas and Chrysler Pacificas that now would be knocked out by K Notch. There's other falses like a 24.215 Honda that falls outside of K Notch and would still false. There's also your typical offenders like Mazdas and Escalades that people report. Are you still seeing a lot of those? Are you happy with the Redline's BSM filtering?

The V1 Gen2 seems pretty good too. There's a number of great threads on the topic with which cars cause falses and how they tend to be weaker falses if they alert. Some of the typical offenders are your Honda/Acuras, Jeep, Mazda, or GM's like Chevy, Cadillac, and Buick. There's concerns about the K band reactivity now though too.

The R7's latest update seems to have made it significantly quieter and I know a lot of people are very happy with it. K Block 2 and tackling Mazda CX-5's with the MRCD trick has made a big difference. I think it may now be the quietest detector on the BSM front which is kinda of bananas considering its pricepoint.

We could also toss the Pro M / RC M into the mix since historically their BSM filtering has been considered among the best too.

So anyways, I was just wanting to think aloud and chat with you all to hear your experiences and thoughts regarding how the BSM filtering compares now with the different top detectors.

Johnnewburg

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I have the R7 for a few days now and immediately updated it to the latest version once I got it.

Maybe its my settings, but I'm still getting BSM falses for some reason, but it's mostly happening with Hondas, Acuras, and Cadillacs. K filter is on, block 1 and 2 are set to weak.
Maybe the K band sensitivity is too high. I have it set to 60%, so I don't know if putting it lower will keep it quiet without affecting the range too much. Let me know what I can do to solve it.

I'm also curious when turning on MRCD, it affects the R7's performance in any way. I also don't live in a state that uses MRCD. I will like to know if anyone has noticed anything different besides the BSM filtering.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have the R7 for a few days now and immediately updated it to the latest version once I got it.

Maybe its my settings, but I'm still getting BSM falses for some reason, but it's mostly happening with Hondas, Acuras, and Cadillacs. K filter is on, block 1 and 2 are set to weak.
Maybe the K band sensitivity is too high. I have it set to 60%, so I don't know if putting it lower will keep it quiet without affecting the range too much. Let me know what I can do to solve it.
Have you made a note of the frequency of those BSM's? There's some that fall outside of K Block 1 and 2 so they'll still false.

ARkaband

War Eagle
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I've got some experience with both the V1G2 and the R7's new 1.35 firmware.

The V1G2 only offers two different sensitivity settings, and I've found both of them to be pretty quiet. However, K band range and reactivity are both pretty lacking in my experience.

The R7 is much more adjustable on K, allowing 18% (city mode) and anywhere from 30%-100% in advanced. I've found if you set it up to match the V1's quietness in A/small L mode, it offers much more K range and is definitely much more reactive. I generally run highway mode (K at 100%), TSF on, rear balance 70%, and MRCD on (for CX5 filtering). I'd say this is on-par with my G2 in terms of quietness but is better suited to an environment where real LEO K band is being used.
If you don't care so much about K range, the R7 in city mode with all the filters on is by far the quietest detector I've ever used.

The G2 definitely has the upper hand in Ka detection, especially off-axis. I'm trying to decide between the two and it's very tough. The new FW on the R7 has really turned it into a strong competitor. I purchased an R7 back in January and returned it after just a couple of days because I couldn't get it to shut up.

IsItWorthIt

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I have one detector, a V1G2, and I’m happy with the performance but would like it to be quieter. I recently said on another thread that I’ve never encountered a legitimate K band threat. I’ll throw X band in there too. As @Vortex said, lots of the usual BSM falses but also some others I can never attribute.

JBV1 does a fine job muting the alway present stationary sources when I’m around my home, such as door openers and automatic gates. But because of the BSMs and having never encountered non-Ka speed enforcement I’ve considered muting both X and K bands completely. Of course I’m a bit nervous to actually do it. I’ve also considered creating location based boxes in JBV1 but i haven’t found a comprehensive resource to set this up. Almost all of my ticket worthy driving is on interstates in GA and TN (IN, NC, and SC are somewhat frequent too), so Ka and LIDAR are the dominant threats. Maybe it’s not even worth creating the boxes since I’m rarely on roads with local enforcement.

billvp

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I have one detector, a V1G2, and I’m happy with the performance but would like it to be quieter. I recently said on another thread that I’ve never encountered a legitimate K band threat. I’ll throw X band in there too. As @Vortex said, lots of the usual BSM falses but also some others I can never attribute.

JBV1 does a fine job muting the alway present stationary sources when I’m around my home, such as door openers and automatic gates. But because of the BSMs and having never encountered non-Ka speed enforcement I’ve considered muting both X and K bands completely. Of course I’m a bit nervous to actually do it. I’ve also considered creating location based boxes in JBV1 but i haven’t found a comprehensive resource to set this up. Almost all of my ticket worthy driving is on interstates in GA and TN (IN, NC, and SC are somewhat frequent too), so Ka and LIDAR are the dominant threats. Maybe it’s not even worth creating the boxes since I’m rarely on roads with local enforcement.
There's definitely some K band in TN. I think you're fine shutting off X band though.

ARkaband

War Eagle
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I’ve heard there is some K and in parts of GA and TN. Do you ever see K on the interstate highways or just the local and county roads?
In GA, Coweta County uses lots of K along their portion of I-85. I’ve also seen it along I-75 between Macon and the FL state line.

In TN, I've seen K band on I-40 near Jackson and on I-24 south of Murfreesboro.

Last edited:

Cannonf600

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
There's definitely some K band in TN. I think you're fine shutting off X band though.
Absolutely there is K-band in TN but it is extremely rare on any of the major interstates like I24,I 65 or I40. A lot of local LEO'S and Sheriffs departments have K but they don't patrol the interstates.

I have detected K on the interstates from locals and the Sheriffs department but they weren't hostile. One exception is 840 were I have seen plenty of Sheriffs looking for a new customer to have a road side chat with.

I enjoy breaking out the Redline O every now and again set to KA only and feel today protected on the TN interstates.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
I don't run K block or K notch on my detectors as they are a poorly-executed bandaid to the problem (either they block the frequency range completely with the obvious consequences or they act like an old-school "city mode" for the frequencies, which still have consequences).

Note: I am still evaluating 1.7 firmware for the RL360C...

The V1G2 against a few BSM sources at a time is the quietest of the 3, followed by the RL360C, then a distant 3rd for the R7.

The RL360C seems to rise to the top when there are a ton of sources around, followed by the V1G2 (which will occasionally show Ka signals in these situations), followed by the R7 (which starts to false to ghost Ka signals in such an environment...something that seems to be worse with the latest firmware).

Yes, I have enabled MRCD on the R7 to see if it helps and yes it does make it quieter in some cases, but have found it also causes it to be noisier in others.
Post automatically merged:

I think the first concern is that they all need to be reviewed two different ways: with and without using a phone
Why?

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Now @Vortex , I hope you aren't encouraging any blasphemy, dogma, or cult-like rituals. We know the Great Satan often tries to steer us away from ______ brand.

But seriously, my G2 is generally quiet. It felt really good to illegally operate it in VA for a few days all the while basking in the knowledge of stealth. Oddly, when I arrived back in Houston I saw some ghosting and for a time couldn't get it to shut up on the freeway. In L mode at that! I'll post a shot.

I still haven't updated from 133 on my R7 but it has been reasonably quiet. That's probably because I've been using City mode with all stock settings so far. I prefer V1 but this R7 also inspires confidence and offers better protection IMO than my old G1 with the exception of arrow performance.

Last edited:

RoadDogg

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
As @Cannonf600 stated, I also have encountered some K-band usage by local sheriff’s departments on 840 in middle Tennessee. I also have encountered some local sheriff’s departments in both Shelby County (Memphis TN) and Fayette County (outside of Memphis TN) using K-band on I-40. There is a lot of K-band usage in SW Tennessee.

I own a RL360c and a V1G2, and they both do an effective job in terms of BSM filtering. I run my V1G2 in All-Bogeys mode and my RL360c in highway mode about 99% of the time respectively for both, and they both are better than my Max360c for BSM filtering effectiveness. I don’t own an R7.

Between my RL360c and V1G2, they are pretty equal (very good) IMO when it comes to BSM filtering.

Last edited:

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Screenshot_20210319-144716_JBV1.jpg

westwind77

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
RL360c
I get a significant amount of 24.205 alerts, most from the rear, and surprisingly when the 'offender' is a fair ways back after passing on a two-lane road.

I get the occasional alerts in the 24.167 range but those are minimal.

Not running K-Notch and on Highway

V1G2
I get BSM's centered around 24.165 & 24.135 the most, but nothing really above 24.200 like the RL360c.

Both units have very good BSM filtering, it just seems they each have their own weakness areas so it is highly dependent on what vehicles you encounter more on any given day.

I still say the M360 has better filtering than either of the ones above, and a lot better reactivity as well (on K).

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have moderate experience with both the R7 and V1G2. The new R7 update has made it the quietest detector that I own. Like @ARkaband, I picked one up back in December and promptly returned it because 1.33 was unbearably chatty. This new update has made a massive difference. The MRCD trick has completely eliminated Mazda CX-5 falses for me, and there are a lot of them around me. The new K Block features have also completely eliminated Chrysler/Jeep falses and most (not all) Honda falses. I still get occasional GM falses, but not many. I haven't had a BSM in the last 200 miles I've driven with it, and I'll be putting another 300 on it this weekend. All of this while running in Highway Mode and offering fantastic real-world range against legit police radar.

The V1G2 at this time is noisier in my area. The Mazda CX-5 falses are easily the worst offender. It is also noisier in regards to the Chrysler/Jeep cars, particularly Pacificas and Cherokees. It's similar to the R7 in regards to Hondas and falses less than the R7 to GM vehicles. One caveat here is something @VariableWave mentioned in another thread. It seems as though the V1G2 is more susceptible to BSM falses when surrounded by other BSM offenders, almost as if the detector gets overwhelmed by the signals around it. I know a few here have stated that they get no CX-5 falses with the V1G2. I contested this for a while, but I think it might tie back to the different driving environments. I am in a very dense urban area with a lot of BSM polluters on the road. It's certainly believable that someone sees significantly fewer BSM falses with the detector if they're in a less dense area.

There's also the factor of the V1G2's initial audio beep between when the detector sees a K band signal and when the app tells the detector to mute because it's a lockout or below the low-speed muting threshold. The R7 has no audible alert of any kind to lockouts, and can be set up to allow no audible alert below the low-speed muting threshold. Honestly, this little tidbit is more annoying to me than the actual BSM offenders themselves, and makes the V1G2 much noisier than I personally like around town. Plus, the bogey counter can be way too sensitive at times. In this video, there was one signal from a LEO and I had three separate bogeys as I approached the signal. The frequency received by the detector shifted (24.156, 24.158, and then 24.157) as I got closer to the source, causing many more unnecessary beeps from the bogey counter throughout the encounter.

Adding all these up just makes the V1G2 much noisier for me IMO. I know some people don't mind these quirks, but I didn't know about them (especially the lockout/low speed muting beeps) before purchasing. I think Valentine should be able to tune the BSM filter and bogey counter, and that should help. It also has noticeably better Ka band performance compared to the R7, especially against off-axis sources, which is really the environment where it shines. I am personally willing to trade the Ka band performance and less situational awareness for a quieter experience with better K band performance, but that's just me. I think the R7 is a much better value, especially with the prices that they are going for new. But it's entirely dependent on a driver's area and experience that they are looking for. In many places, I can certainly see where the value of the more expensive V1G2 can outweigh the lower price of the R7.

Last edited:

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I don't run K block or K notch on my detectors as they are a poorly-executed bandaid to the problem (either they block the frequency range completely with the obvious consequences or they act like an old-school "city mode" for the frequencies, which still have consequences).
Ohhhh, now this actually makes me think of a good testing idea!

Who wants to tune a K band gun to 24.168 or 24.198 and test the weak mode on the R7 vs the G2 filtering?

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ohhhh, now this actually makes me think of a good testing idea!

Who wants to tune a K band gun to 24.168 or 24.198 and test the weak mode on the R7 vs the G2 filtering?
Ohhhhhh! Good idea. And let's test reactivity with MRCD enabled on the R7 and its range as well :)

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
For K band, I only have a Decatur that I'm willing to open up and tune. My HR is basically new so not ready to sacrifice that one for science just yet. @Vortex have anything in K band that you could tune? @Brainstorm69 is set up for reactivity. He may be willing to check if it's any different with MRCD enabled.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
For K band, I only have a Decatur that I'm willing to open up and tune. My HR is basically new so not ready to sacrifice that one for science just yet. @Vortex have anything in K band that you could tune? @Brainstorm69 is set up for reactivity. He may be willing to check if it's any different with MRCD enabled.
I might be able to do some testing this weekend to see.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danimajado