Info Viofo A139 Three Channel Dash Cam Review (and Discount Code!)

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Guys-

I wanted to take some time to go over my new dash camera system. I do want to start by saying that I did not pay for this system so that is clearly stated up front, however the opinions are my own. I got an additional A139 for our other vehicle because I do like it a lot!

This is a new offering from Viofo and their first 3 channel dash camera, it has some very nice spec’s and the price is very attractive at $269. For those that stick around through this long review there is a little bonus discount code provided at the end. Many folks here already run the A119 or a version of the A129 and everyone seems pretty happy with them so I'm very interested to try out a new model with some new features. After having been through a major auto accident recently where my previous camera setup didn’t perform as well as I had hoped, I’m excited to try a camera system that includes many items I found very helpful during that collision and also appears to solve some of the areas that failed with my previous camera setup.

Spec’s and Features:
  • Front: 2k resolution (2560x1440 @30FPS) user adjustable bitrate up to 27 Mbps. 140 degree FOV.
  • Rear: 1080P resolution with 170 degree FOV
  • Inside: 1080P Resolution with 170 Degree FOV, 6 IR LED’s for total darkness night vision
  • Processor: Novatek NT96687
  • Front Image sensor: Sony Starvis IMX335
  • Inside/Rear Image Sensor: Sony Starvis IMX291
  • Supports micro SD cards up to 512GB
  • GPS
  • Wifi (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz)
  • G sensor for automatic crash/impact detection
  • Buffered Parking mode (requires optional hardwire kit)
  • Motion detection
  • Audio recording
  • Voice notifications
  • Includes CPL (circular polarizing filter) for the front camera
Optional external microphone, and Bluetooth emergency remote are available.

Box and Contents:

1615761676744.png

• Front, rear, and inside cameras (3 separate individual cameras)
  • 12 volt (cigarette lighter) to USB C power cable
  • 6 meter rear camera cable
  • 1 meter inside camera cable
  • USB C cable
  • CPL
  • Card reader adapter
  • Trim removal tool
  • Camera mount with spare 3M adhesive square
  • Spare 3M adhesive squares for inside and rear cameras.
One unique item about this camera that I really like are the 3 fully separate cameras, most if not all of the competing three channel dash cam systems use a combined front and inside camera and then a remote rear camera. The issue with those types of three channel systems is placement, if you want that inside camera to have a good view then you are kinda stuck mounting the camera in the center of the windshield, below the mirror which impedes the drivers view and puts the camera on full display meaning a discrete install isn’t possible. Many of them are also suction cup mounts, which as I found out in our collision isn't ideal. Having 3 separate camera units means you can mount the front camera at the top of the windshield or behind the mirror, then fit the small inside view camera above the mirror or really anywhere else within 3 feet of the main camera and then simply route the rear camera to the back of the vehicle. This added flexibility is great as many cars have different amounts of windshield space available so you can find a layout that works well for your car.

Is a 3 channel system useful?

After my collision I can personally say yes (the more cameras the better)! It can be very helpful if you have been injured and end up in court. Many collisions don’t look that severe from the front or rear view, but seeing the occupants getting thrown around (like the crash test dummy’s do) can really go a long way to explain your injuries.

It’s also a great option if you ever do anything like rideshare/uber/lyft driving to document your passengers in case they cause damage to your vehicle or to disprove any claims a rider might make about you as a driver. It’s great for encounters with law enforcement, or even with people that might approach your vehicle and threaten you for some reason as it shows your actions in that situation. The one thing you do have to consider though is that if you drive distracted, this inside view will show you texting when you cause a crash. I find it a good reminder to control my own actions behind the wheel as any aggressive driving/distracted driving by myself are being recorded.

The internal camera is also active in parking mode, so if the car is broken into in the middle of the night, you will have full night vision close ups of the criminal that might make tracking them down easier.

Now if an interior camera is really not something you are comfortable with but you like the other aspects of the camera, you will be pleased to know that they offer the A139 as a 2 channel version as well, it’s the exact same hardware, it just doesn’t include the inside camera and 1 meter cable.

Camera to Camera Connections:

Another very unique design with this dashcam is the special micro connectors and cables they used for the inside and rear cameras. Compared to most 2 channel systems which use some variety of USB mini or micro for the rear/inside camera’s the A139 uses a TINY little connector that clicks securely into place to connect the front to the rear and inside cameras. This small connector means feeding the wire through small places to get it all the way to the back of the car is a breeze, the cables also have a nice stiffness almost like a mini coax cable, makes feeding it easy but still bends easily enough to make sharper turns as required. It reminds me of the instrumentation wiring used with a lot of accelerometers I use at work. The main power to the front camera is a USB C cable.

Here is the size comparison (Left to right USB A, USB C, Rear/internal A139 Connector)
1615763350251.png

Speaking of small size, below are the A139 cameras in comparison to a standard credit card, it’s pretty small considering the amount they have packed in to the main front camera, much like the A129 cameras there is a removable adhesive base that mounts to the window and the camera simply slides onto that so you can remove the camera if needed, that removable base contains the GPS antenna for the camera.

1615763416954.png

Installation:
Installation was really pretty simple, I used the optional the hardwire kit as I wanted to use parking mode, the only challenge was figuring out which circuits were switched and which were constant on. Just give the area you are mounting the cameras to a good cleaning to make sure it's free of debris/ film so the 3M tape will stick solidly, then mount the cameras. The included trim tool made tucking the wires behind the trim easy. Do use care to make sure none of the wires cross the side curtain airbags. I did a separate thread on dash cam lessons learned that has more info here (https://www.rdforum.org/threads/107959/) based on the failures I had in my last setup during the collision. I do want to offer one tip, when installing the front circular polarizing filter, there is a small white line at the edge of the filter that should align to a small white mark on the camera, if you don't line those up you may get some odd glare from streetlights and sunlight as the filter isn't working properly at different angles.

I opted to mount the front camera to the underside of the FCW housing behind the mirror and the inside camera just above the RVM, I was able to route the cables in though that housing along the wire that runs the autodim mirror so it's very clean:
1615765459671.png

The rear camera is mounted to the corner of the rear cargo light :
1615765650707.png

Cabling for the front and rear camera was plenty long and had extra slack I could tuck in places along the way.

Setup and basic operation:

The A139 doesn’t have a screen so the use of the App is needed to accomplish adjusting the settings via the cameras built in wifi. Once the App is connected to the camera, you can see a live view of what the cameras are seeing (which makes adjusting the camera position quite easy), you can start and stop recordings, adjust settings, and download videos to your phone making showing/sharing clips very easy as well as update the firmware. The front camera can be rotated up/down about 300 degrees to get the angle correct based on how you mounted to the windshield and if needed could be swiveled to record inside the car, though with the separate interior camera there should be no need. The inside and rear cameras rotate a full 360 degrees inside of their mount so you can definitely get them aligned no matter the angle you mount them.

The front camera has LED indicators to tell you it’s recording, audio recording is on/off, GPS is connected, and the wifi hotspot is on/off making a quick glance all you need to know it’s working. It also has built in voice notifications as well (which can be disabled if desired) such as “Recording 3 channels, started” when you start up the car (which if a rear/internal camera is disconnected adjusts to state the correct number of channels being captured) and “parking mode recording started”. It will be sure to tell you if the SD card has a problem or is missing, so if you are like me and forget to put the card in you won’t drive off and miss stuff.

The setting menu contains a lot of helpful adjustments, some of which can be adjusted for each camera individually (such as exposure, Image rotation). It has adjustable resolution and bitrate which is great, higher bitrates make for a better-looking video but take up more space so you can adjust it to meet your needs. Many of the common settings like loop recording time, WDR (wide dynamic recording), Audio recording, time/date, GPS display and speed unit are all there as well. Here are some screen shots showing the available options in the menu.

1615765921096.png
1615765980815.png
1615766207838.png

Parking mode is something I really haven't had before, but with a new car I'm really happy to have it as parking lot dents are a bigger deal on a newer car! There are three modes, auto event detection, low bitrate continuous, and time lapse so you can choose what one works best for you. You will need to hardwire the camera with the Viofo hardware kit for the A139 to enable parking mode as it uses three wires, a ground, a positive connected to a constant on circuit and a positive connected to a switched circuit. Based on what circuits are providing power the camera will determine if the car is parked or running and which mode it should run in. I do prefer this over the systems that use GPS to determine if you are stationary for a while and then switch to parking mode. The hardwire cable does include an adjustable low voltage cut off to keep your battery from draining. Do note that the A139 has it's own hardwire cable, it is different than the ones for the A119/129 series.

Video Quality:

Video Quality is very good both day and night. The front CPL filter is an excellent inclusion, as I live in sunny south Florida and glare is abundant on sunny days. I find I can get plates on cars within about 15 feet which is good. The rear footage is very good and can pick up front plates of cars behind you or in adjacent lanes within a reasonable distance. The Inside camera is very clear, full color during the day and monochrome at night with the IR LED night vision. It also is wide enough angle to get a view through the side windows of the car so you get a little side coverage as well. I did note there is a slight purple hue on only the inside camera if the interior lights are on as they are a source of IR light in the car but haven't noticed that during normal driving conditions. The camera records the three separate cameras to three separate files which allows you to only share the relevant video footage rather than a single file with multiple embedded streams. Because you are recording three cameras to one card I highly recommend getting a large, high quality Micro SD card so you have plenty of run time, and improved card life due to less rewrites cycles. Below are a few clips showing the quality of day and night under some different lighting conditions. Sadly the video streaming services squash them a little, but you get a decent idea (also forgive the slightly dirty rear window, despite two washes this week it still got a little spotty).

Now I mentioned at the start of this post that I was recently in a pretty bad collision and had some lessons learned regarding dash camera’s so let’s discuss that next.

I can’t share publicly all the footage of the crash yet as legal proceedings are still ongoing, if you are an intermediate member there is a thread that covers in detail the saga as it has unfolded “the end of the odyssey”. Publicly though I can give a short summery and share a picture or two. The collision occurred on a 3 lane each direction roadway in my town, with a speed limit of 45 MPH, it was dark and raining at the time. A car going the opposite direction was involved in some road rage and was according to witness statements weaving recklessly through a pack of traffic around a curve in the road. He weaved out the front of the pack just before the end of the curve going (by my calculations form the video) about 60 MPH. He lost control and skidded sideways jumping the small median the right front fender/wheel of his car struck the left front corner of our Honda Odyssey with a speed differential of ~100 mph. The impact caused us to begin spinning, the right rear corner of our car entered the next lane and was severely impacted by the car in that lane further spinning us. The first two collisions were over in less than 1 second and we skidded to a stop in less than 4 seconds, needless to say it happened very fast and we didn’t even realize the rear collision had even occurred. A total of 8 cars were involved 4 on each side of the median so it was rather a mess, the road was closed for almost 8 hours while they figured it all out and got it all cleaned up. 6 people (4 of them were my family) were taken to the hospital with injuries, thankfully none were life threatening.

IMG_1499.jpg
IMG_20201109_122745650_HDR Edit.jpg

In clearing out the vehicle at the tow yard I discovered the first of the issues with my dash camera setup, there is a full thread here (https://www.rdforum.org/threads/107959/) where I discuss in detail all the failures I had but I will summarize below:
  • Front Camera (Suction mount with tilt/swivel adjustment) - Mount snapped off at tilt joint- camera was ejected from car
  • Rear Camera (Suction mount with tilt/swivel adjustment) - Mount snapped off at swivel joint, camera was on floor, camera had bad SD card (no footage)
  • Overhead Front Facing Camera (Adhesive mount) - Stayed in place worked 100% perfectly
  • Overhead Rear Facing Camera (Adhesive mount) - Stayed in place, cabling got yanked hard by side curtain airbags, camera image blanked out briefly on impact
So the first issue was mount failure, both of the suction mounts snapped off on impact causing the cameras to become dislodged and not capture footage of secondary collisions, the suction cup also fell from the window shortly after the crash as the glass was cracked and broke the suction. The front camera was ejected from the vehicle and by some small miracle was found at the crash site about 4 days later. The camera was smashed during it's ejection and the footage was only partially recoverable (about 3 frames before impact is the last frame written to the card, the remaining frames were still waiting to be written to the card when the camera was ejected and smashed to the point of not working.)

The rear camera had mount failure too, but since there was a bad SD card installed it wasn't working at the time anyway. That camera didn't provide any useful notice of missing or malfunctions of the SD card so I had no idea it wasn't working until I went to pull the footage and found there was nothing there.

The overhead rear facing camera wiring was installed in such a way that the cable ran across the opening for the side curtain airbags. The airbag pulled hard on the cable during deployment which interrupted the connection and footage blanks out right as the collision happens.

The A139 solves the mount failures I had as all cameras are adhesive mount and are not likely to break loose in a collision leading to a greater chance of footage of the entire event, not just the first part of it. The A139 also has audible SD card missing/not working alerts so you won't miss an SD card failure and get caught with no footage when you need it most. The cables they provide are very sturdy and have enough length even in a larger vehicle like the Honda Odyssey to allow you to route the cables around the ends of the side curtain airbags and leave enough slack you can tuck in along the way to absorb any yanking it might get during a crash/ airbag operation to ensure the camera isn't pulled loose or damaged. With front, rear, and inside cameras you can get a very clear picture of what happened both to cause the accident outside of the car as well as what happened to the folks inside the car as a result.

Summary:

In summary I like this camera, a lot. I have one installed in my wife's car as well if that tells you how much I like it :). The footage is very good and clear, especially for a camera in this price range. The color and image rendering are very good as well. The features are well implemented, and allow good flexibility for your personal preferences. The form factor for all the cameras is good, they fit quite a lot in a pretty small package which allows for a discrete install and flexible placement. The internal camera is a definite plus in my book as I think it goes a long way when you are injured in a crash, especially if you were attentive and driving safely at the time. Parking mode is also a nice option, with a new car I'm more concerned with those little parking lot dents and you just never know when something might happen when you aren't in the car that would be nice to have footage of. Whether you are getting a new car or maybe just haven't upgraded your dash camera setup in a while I'd put the A139 (2ch or 3 ch) on the list of options to seriously consider as it offers quite a lot for a good price. Speaking of that good price, I did promise up front that there was a discount code for the RDF folks so here it is: use this link https://amzn.to/3pXBsrg and in the checkout use this code: 08UIS6PA to save $20 off the A139 3CH. This code will be active as of 2021-3-24 00:01 PDT

-thebravo

Attachments

• 1615766155429.png
    1615766155429.png
    75.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 1615766191982.png
    1615766191982.png
    75.1 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
  • Admin
Hope you guys find this review helpful :)

Euurx

Cat Lover
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thanks for this! Gosh.. that camera quality at night kind of turned me on! Been looking for another Dashcam, the A129 came DOA for me, and while I could have replaced it (just got it refunded) I thought I'd hold on. Not sure how I feel about an internal camera facing the driver/passengers. Could it be repurposed for a side camera of the car? I know it sounds stupid but I've seen some members do that.

Thanks for the long review too! Plus I dig the mini-beard. Glad to see your driving now.

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
  • Admin
Thanks for this! Gosh.. that camera quality at night kind of turned me on! Been looking for another Dashcam, the A129 came DOA for me, and while I could have replaced it (just got it refunded) I thought I'd hold on. Not sure how I feel about an internal camera facing the driver/passengers. Could it be repurposed for a side camera of the car? I know it sounds stupid but I've seen some members do that.

Thanks for the long review too! Plus I dig the mini-beard. Glad to see your driving now.
It does do a pretty good job at night for sure. Plates can still be washed out sometimes, but when you are going for a bright enough image in low light thats just a fact of life, Florida also has white plates so that doesn't help. It certainly does a good job in actual low light situations getting enough light to see whats around you clearly. You certainly could repurposed the inside camera for a side view as long as it's within the 1 meter cable reach of the front camera, or you have the option of just getting the A139 2CH version which is the same hardware for the front and rear but just doesn't include the internal camera.

GregTec5

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thanks for your review. I am assuming this uses the same app as what I use for the VIOFO A129 Pro Duo 4K.

I am also using the VIOFO HK3 Acc 3-Wire Hardwire Cable.

Since you seem to be familiar with this product line have you noticed parking files don't correctly show up under the correct tab?

Also what parking mode settings are you running?

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
  • Admin
Thanks for your review. I am assuming this uses the same app as what I use for the VIOFO A129 Pro Duo 4K.

I am also using the VIOFO HK3 Acc 3-Wire Hardwire Cable.

Since you seem to be familiar with this product line have you noticed parking files don't correctly show up under the correct tab?

Also what parking mode settings are you running?
It is the same app for all the viofo products I believe which is nice when you have viofo cameras in multiple cars as you can just use the same app no matter what vehicle you are in.

I havent specifically paid attention to the parking mode clips in the app yet, most of the footage review I have brought the SD card in to look at clips on a larger screen so I will have to look and see if I see that issue when I use the app. Are you using an I-phone or Andriod?

For parking mode settings I have used the auto event detection and I also tried the low bitrate constant recording. As far as which I prefer, if i'm not frequently parked in an area that has constant motion (like on the side of busy street with traffic) then auto event detection seems to work well, if there is a lot of motion and vibration triggering super frequent auto events to be detected and recorded then the lower bitrate constant recording might work better as it's always on but due to the lower bitrate it's not using full power, also depends on how fast things move past you, if its a street with faster moving traffic you would have to check if the low bitrate still gives you enough quality to capture the faster moving objects or if they get pixelated or grainy.

GregTec5

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Are you using an I-phone or Andriod?

iPhone
I'd be curious to see your findings on the parking tab in the app and the following:

I am running Auto Event Detection due to the buffering. Not super happy with the differences in low, medium, and high on motion detection. At night I can walk past and not trigger the motion. Other times when reviewing it triggers for no rhyme or reason.

Also seems there may be an issue where the cut-off on the wiring kit does not actually cut off and drains car batteries.

I am new to this brand so not sure if any of this can be reported back to them to be fixed with software updates.

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
  • Admin
I'd be curious to see your findings on the parking tab in the app and the following:

I am running Auto Event Detection due to the buffering. Not super happy with the differences in low, medium, and high on motion detection. At night I can walk past and not trigger the motion. Other times when reviewing it triggers for no rhyme or reason.

Also seems there may be an issue where the cut-off on the wiring kit does not actually cut off and drains car batteries.

I am new to this brand so not sure if any of this can be reported back to them to be fixed with software updates.
I will look at my parking stuff later, I have very little traffic on my road at home so I don't think i will have a ton of alerts there, but I can also check my wifes as she parks in a lot at work where the is some cars driving past and people walking by. I have her's set to low sensitivity and it seems to have some false triggers but with all the trees and vehicles moving on the road next to the lot I suspect thats why.

I have never had an issue with the cutoff's not working, on all of my cameras they seem to shutoff at the right voltage as set on the switches and have never had drained batteries. I'm wondering since your parking mode clips aren't showing up in the right place, are you sure it's going into parking mode? I'd double check the circuit you selected for switched is actually switched and the constant on circuit is always on not just a time delayed circuit. Make sure you have the correct wires going to each so it's in parking mode when parked and driving mode when driving. The icon on the screen should change when it changes modes on the A129's so watch the screen when you shutoff the car and make sure it is switching correctly, if it isn't then there could be a wiring issue.

GregTec5

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Are you sure it's going into parking mode? I'd double check the circuit you selected for switched is actually switched and the constant on circuit is always on not just a time delayed circuit. Make sure you have the correct wires going to each so it's in parking mode when parked and driving mode when driving. The icon on the screen should change when it changes modes on the A129's so watch the screen when you shutoff the car and make sure it is switching correctly, if it isn't then there could be a wiring issue.
Yes sir. I am positive. Thanks for the troubleshooting advise though.

Have confirmed with voltage meter as well as visually with icon change and blinking REC light indicating basically it's in standby. Will go solid when event triggers it and then returns.

Files do not show under parking mode tab in the application.

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yes sir. I am positive. Thanks for the troubleshooting advise though.

Have confirmed with voltage meter as well as visually with icon change and blinking REC light indicating basically it's in standby. Will go solid when event triggers it and then returns.

Files do not show under parking mode tab in the application.
I just checked and the parking files are showing under the parking tab, they also show under the all files tab at least on my andriod, I will have to check on the wifes Iphone later and see if they show correction on IOS. the one issue I did encounter is there are a couple of locked files whcih got saved from me bumping the camera while it was recording and I cannot delete them via the app, it says there was an error deleting the locked files...

gorgid

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Great review and i'm glad you are ok.

GregTec5

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I just checked and the parking files are showing under the parking tab, they also show under the all files tab at least on my andriod, I will have to check on the wifes Iphone later and see if they show correction on IOS. the one issue I did encounter is there are a couple of locked files whcih got saved from me bumping the camera while it was recording and I cannot delete them via the app, it says there was an error deleting the locked files...
Just went and double checked for you. Pics attached. I’m in parking mode, triggered a recording, and nothing showing in the correct tab. It does show in the main tab. 🤔

Attachments

• E3A7FC6B-B0C9-401F-AE60-323A03C0355D.jpeg
    E3A7FC6B-B0C9-401F-AE60-323A03C0355D.jpeg
    41.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 038A0453-8C13-4CD8-8A2E-2109E1F9CE8E.jpeg
    038A0453-8C13-4CD8-8A2E-2109E1F9CE8E.jpeg
    483 KB · Views: 56

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Just went and double checked for you. Pics attached. I’m in parking mode, triggered a recording, and nothing showing in the correct tab. It does show in the main tab. 🤔
Very odd, I definitely have clips showing under that tab from today. I'd reach out to viofo support on that, I will check the A129 that I have in another car and see if it is showing parking mode clips under the tab... It could be a firmware related issue that that series of camera isn't tagging something correctly for the app to recognize it or the app might need a patch....

GregTec5

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Very odd, I definitely have clips showing under that tab from today. I'd reach out to viofo support on that, I will check the A129 that I have in another car and see if it is showing parking mode clips under the tab... It could be a firmware related issue that that series of camera isn't tagging something correctly for the app to recognize it or the app might need a patch....
Think it could be an iOS thing?

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
thats also very possible. My wife has an Iphone so I can try using her phone to check tomorrow, she already has the app installed :)

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
@thebravo, was there a limit to the promo code? The code given ( 08VIOFOA139 ) is not valid when I try to use it.
I just tried it myself and it doesn't appear to be working. I reached out to my contact to see if they could look into it :) I will post back once I hear from them!

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agoose