R7 issues - Speed/RL inop, random alerts

Mikeshonda750f

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Ok folks. Vortex suggested I post on the forum rather than DM him on Facebook. Here I am. I was going to post in the dedicated support thread, but in reading that.. it seems despite the 1st post outlining the rules of the thread, it is a quagmire. So Im posting this. I have an R7 that is roughly a month old. Updated to the latest firmware the day it was posted. In the following days I had it auto learn a couple areas on my commute that I hadn't gotten around to locking out manually. Sweet! It also became much quieter to BSM which was great!

Last week on the way to work it was rather chatty. I even noticed areas that it had locked out automatically are now alerting again. I also noticed that red light cameras and speed cameras no longer alert at all.. I just get random radar when approaching/leaving those intersections sometimes.

Today I performed a factory reset and didn't touch any settings. Took a ride and still no speed/red light warning.

I then scrolled through the settings and set it up the way I wanted (similar to Vortex's settings) and also made sure all of the proper settings were turned on (GPS, RL warnings, etc). Still no dice.

On the ride home it was certainly very very chatty.. like annoyingly so. What do you think? Defective unit?

Thanks guys!

factoryguy

chasing rabbits
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Seems odd... I'm wondering if you revert back to the prior version and see what happens. Honestly, I'd lean towards just exchanging it--why not. Where did you buy it?

(I've become a little amazon afflicted lately, so if it doesn't work or it is a PIA with setup, I just ship it right back)

aim4squirrels

Currently edging... Coming soon!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I would say with only one or 2 data points, it's the luck of the draw as far as annoying signals go. I would caution against overreacting until you have a larger data pool to work with.

If you have:

k filter on,
K blocks set to filter weak signals but alert on higher,
K Narrow on (if you're sure there aren't lower or higher legit signals in your area,
And auto mute memory on,

Then drive your normal daily routes for a week and see if it doesn't quiet down.

You can also play with the k band sensitivity in advanced settings, and if you notice the rear horn alerts more than the front, try turning that rear balance down to 80% or so.

Honestly k band at 40% has been more than enough range in my experience.

Whenever I want to test my detector, I can never find a good signal. Whenever I get on the phone to talk to someone, it won't shut up. I call it: Squirrel's Law. It's yet to be disproven.

Last edited:

Mikeshonda750f

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I guess that's the most interesting point. It went from being reliably chatty (jeeps kill me) with alerts in the same area each day (it was annoying I was ready to return it rather than tune it down), to then upgrading the FW for the better BSM/Auto Lockouts, which worked great. I noticed less false alerts.. Jeeps seemed to be less annoying and only at closer range.. it was locking out things as it was supposed to. RedLight/Speed Cams never alerted anymore post update, but I was content with that. Then, out of the blue.. it all went out the window. Auto-lockout locations weren't locked out anymore.. or the area for which they were, had shifted several blocks. It's almost as if it became hypersensitive and paranoid at the same time.

I purchased from Amazon. I'm gonna try to reflash the FW if it'll allow an overwrite and give it another week or two. I'm okay with tuning it down to be less chatty and waiting for it to learn some locations.. but it's gotta do something back toward normal.

Thanks for the input. Wasn't sure if these guys were seeing a rash of issues POST update or it was just me.

wellfleetion

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Mine seemed quieter at first after the new firmware but two 20 minute rides today and I was picking up BSMs a lot, both ways and for long annoying distances.

Mikeshonda750f

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Well, thanks all for the input. I decided to try to reinstall the firmware today and it won't even register on the computer as a connected device (the FW tool can't find it). I am returning it as defective to Amazon and will try a 2nd unit.

Side note.. Amazon return window is 30 days. Tomorrow is day 30 for me. So.. just an FYI. I wasn't aware of this and can't find anywhere that says it on the Amazon site.

Johnnewburg

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Well, thanks all for the input. I decided to try to reinstall the firmware today and it won't even register on the computer as a connected device (the FW tool can't find it). I am returning it as defective to Amazon and will try a 2nd unit.

Side note.. Amazon return window is 30 days. Tomorrow is day 30 for me. So.. just an FYI. I wasn't aware of this and can't find anywhere that says it on the Amazon site.
I know there is a page somewhere where you can install the driver manually. I had that problem when I got my R7. I installed the driver manually and it instantly worked.

Last edited:

Mikeshonda750f

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I know there is a page somewhere where you can install the driver manually. I had that problem when I got my R7. I installed the driver manually and it instantly worked.
Yeah, I've already installed the driver and upgraded the firmware twice. I'm thinking my troubles with the unit are hardware related.

sctdg

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Factory reset? Just a thought.

Mikeshonda750f

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Factory reset? Just a thought.
I did a factory reset. Didn't make a difference. Also weird.. the factory reset left my user Lockouts in place /shrug. Oh well.. can't try anything now, as it's in the mail back to Amazon and my replacement scheduled to be delivered Monday.

Mikeshonda750f

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Well, I ran it Monday with 1.33 out of the box and RLC's alerted. Updated to 1.35 and Tuesday/Wed/Thurs didn't receive any RLC alerts. Switched back to 1.33 and get alerts again (Factory settings). I'm convinced 1.35 is missing something or has a GPS calibration problem.

Maz3

Don't hate me just because I'm beautiful 🤣
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Well, I ran it Monday with 1.33 out of the box and RLC's alerted. Updated to 1.35 and Tuesday/Wed/Thurs didn't receive any RLC alerts. Switched back to 1.33 and get alerts again (Factory settings). I'm convinced 1.35 is missing something or has a GPS calibration problem.
I have no suggestions as to what's going on in your Instance I'm afraid.

1.35 has reported every RLC for me, even if the camera is for the opposite traffic flow.

It was pointed out by another member, @rwsmith123, that the Uniden upgrade site states to tick the Recovery Mode option when upgrading.

I didn't when I upgraded, because I didn't read the instructions (I'm in good company, right? 🤣), and mine seems to work fine.

It might be worth a try for you though, if you haven't already done that.

🤞

P.S. The 750F was my dream bike, but the 750 V4 Sabre came when I was ready to buy, and I went for the water cooled, shaft drive instead.

Last edited:

oversteer325

Caution, Anchor May Drop Suddenly
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Were you using the same RLC database file when comparing 1.33 and 1.35?

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
FW 1.33 has a database from July of 2020. FW 1.35 has a database from January of this year. Could be the difference if the OP's locality has stopped using some RLC and the new database reflects that.

@Mikeshonda750f - if you want to test out that theory, I've attached the july 2020 datebase which you could use to "downdate" the database of the 1.35 FW for a test.

Attachments

• DB_20200710.zip
    81.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Mikeshonda750f

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
P.S. The 750F was my dream bike, but the 750 V4 Sabre came when I was ready to buy, and I went for the water cooled, shaft drive instead.
I always had a thing for the Sabre but stuck with the inline 4s for some reason. Currently running a 2014 CB1100. Great someone picking up on the handle and not assuming the Honda is a car 😂
I was using whatever came with the F.W. package. I wasn't aware that you could split the update, or update just the database portion
FW 1.33 has a database from July of 2020. FW 1.35 has a database from January of this year. Could be the difference if the OP's locality has stopped using some RLC and the new database reflects that.

@Mikeshonda750f - if you want to test out that theory, I've attached the july 2020 datebase which you could use to "downdate" the database of the 1.35 FW for a test.
Could certainly be the issue I'm experiencing. As far as I know these city cameras are all still active. I'll give it a shot and see what happens, Thanks!

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danimajado