Should I upgrade to V1 Gen 2 or Wait for Theia?

scooternew

Learning to Drive
General User
Joined
Sep 22, 2014
Messages
26
Reaction score
71
Location
Virginia Refugee
My suggestion would to get a detector that you can trust to meet your req now, today. Waiting on Theia to be released seems foolhardy at best. When its fully tested released and reviewed is when I would consider buying one if I were in the market, I wont be as I am very happy with what I have. Theia at the end of the day may turn out to be the best of the best, we are all pulling for them to be just this but as of today Theia does not exist except for being tested in house by its inhouse developer. LEO radar threats are present today. I would act accordingly which is exactly what I did last June.
I would have to agree, you have to act to the present threats of the day. My Redline-O still works great on highways and middle of nowhere interstate drives, but I have to unplug it in the cities. Ended up ordering a V1G2, but also picked up an R7 for the immediate need, until the G2 arrives. Currently fighting the urge to plant all three on my windshield.
 

thesilverbullet

Clemson Tigers
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Joined
Jul 11, 2013
Messages
2,484
Reaction score
2,256
Location
Clemson
did you pull the trigger on a new detector? or are you going to wait?
 

Tony713HTX

Learning to Drive
General User
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
30
Reaction score
31
So my v1 just came in, and a buddy is upgrading to a redline 360 c, and offering his at $380. I sold my v1 g1 for $350 with V1LE inlcuded. Wondering if I should return the v1g2 and get his r7?

I'm an iphone person so I'm assuming I would have to purchase v1 driver to have ease of use with the v1g2? Or is the R7 you think would perform better over, and what if one would keep the units over 3-4 years? Would the v1g2 hold its value more (able to get like $350-400), or would the R7 drop to about $150 in 3-4 years?
 

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Joined
Oct 29, 2018
Messages
2,143
Reaction score
5,781
Location
Oregon
So my v1 just came in, and a buddy is upgrading to a redline 360 c, and offering his at $380. I sold my v1 g1 for $350 with V1LE inlcuded. Wondering if I should return the v1g2 and get his r7?

I'm an iphone person so I'm assuming I would have to purchase v1 driver to have ease of use with the v1g2? Or is the R7 you think would perform better over, and what if one would keep the units over 3-4 years? Would the v1g2 hold its value more (able to get like $350-400), or would the R7 drop to about $150 in 3-4 years?
Valentine's hold their value very well. Tough choices huh?
 

Tony713HTX

Learning to Drive
General User
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
30
Reaction score
31
Valentine's hold their value very well. Tough choices huh?
Very tough. He's already had 2 people ask him, so I figure his R7 wont last that long. Would you think it would be wise to keep the V1G2 or return it and get his used R7? I'm assuming with the v1g2, GPS/Speedcams would never be a possibility without a hardware upgrade down the line or without using your phone (no way for this to happen in a future update)?
 

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Joined
Oct 29, 2018
Messages
2,143
Reaction score
5,781
Location
Oregon
Seems like you can buy an R7 new off and on for about $380 or a little more on Amazon. I would buy either and use that until Theia comes out(what you want right?) and keep one as a back up or second detector. Or buy both and return the other within the 30 day window.
 

knight_man

I wanna go fast
Intermediate User
Joined
Aug 12, 2018
Messages
802
Reaction score
1,114
You should probably get something while you wait for Theia. Radenso has made indication they have no idea when they will be able to release it, so you could be going nekkid for a while if you just wait.

You may be over thinking this one, it might be just as well that you buy an R3 or something cheaper in the meantime- save that money for Theia.

And all that said, I should also point out, if K is a big concern then maybe wait but I have been otherwise very pleased with my V1 upgrade to the Gen2.
 
Last edited:

Signal Environment

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Joined
Apr 2, 2020
Messages
494
Reaction score
1,465
You may be over thinking this one
He's definitely overthinking it. Just got his V1G2 and now thinking of returning it and buying his friend's used R7.

@Tony713HTX A used R7 for $380 isn't necessarily a "too good to miss" deal. As @2018GTI noted, they have been about that low on Amazon brand new recently (though not right now). Run your V1 for a little bit and if you are satisfied, great. If not, you've got the 30 day trial period.
 

elantra04

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
486
Reaction score
649
Age
40
He's definitely overthinking it. Just got his V1G2 and now thinking of returning it and buying his friend's used R7.

@Tony713HTX A used R7 for $380 isn't necessarily a "too good to miss" deal. As @2018GTI noted, they have been about that low on Amazon brand new recently (though not right now). Run your V1 for a little bit and if you are satisfied, great. If not, you've got the 30 day trial period.

Lol at paying $380 for a used R7 when they used to be that price new a few weeks ago. Hell, I paid $350 shipped for my lightly used one very soon after they were released.
 

IsItWorthIt

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Joined
Jul 21, 2020
Messages
103
Reaction score
182
Location
Georgia
Seems like you can buy an R7 new off and on for about $380 or a little more on Amazon. I would buy either and use that until Theia comes out(what you want right?) and keep one as a back up or second detector. Or buy both and return the other within the 30 day window.
Earlier this week I looked for the Amazon deal and I don’t think it’s available anymore. I looked again today and the best deal I found was $409 (only 5 left). The other listings for a R7 are $440.
 

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Joined
Nov 7, 2016
Messages
2,088
Reaction score
6,557
Having both R7 and G2, there's no doubt I'd stick with G2. Not saying I'd feel unprotected with R7 but G2 suits my SA requirements better.
 

Randomdude421

Learning to Drive
General User
Joined
Apr 5, 2021
Messages
34
Reaction score
23
Entirely depends on what experience you are looking for and what your area threats are. Some here would legitimately rather jump off of a bridge to an inevitable end than ever think about using something not made by Valentine. Others here will sooner exchange their keys for a bus pass before they trade their Uniden for another detector. The brand loyalty between these two is particularly fierce.

The actual truth is that both detectors offer different experiences. I own both, and I find that I personally much prefer the Uniden for the experience I want. I don't like tethering my phone to my detector and the glitches that I have personally witnessed from this (such as the initial alert beep for every lockout before it mutes). I personally don't like only having two mute volumes (the R7 has regular volume, the "auto mute" volume at a lower volume as alerts play, and true zero sound mute volume when you press the mute button or go through a lockout zone). I also trust the R7 on K band more, and K band is my most prominent threat. I also use an iPhone, so I speak from the experience of tethering my V1G2 to the iOS apps.

But that doesn't mean the V1G2 is a bad detector at all. It's actually a phenomenal detector, and I still plan on holding onto mine to run in certain circumstances. It's absolutely mind blowing how good the V1G2 is against Ka threats, particularly when you introduce off axis and terrain into the equation. The arrows are better. And despite really not liking the phone interface for what I consider to be core detector functionalities (such as the GPS based stuff), I much prefer changing settings through the app. But at the end of the day, the R7 works better for me day-to-day. It's the same for many users here. And for many other users, the V1G2 is absolutely perfect for what they are looking for.

So you're probably going to get some serious (and possibly heated) responses to this question, but it's entirely dependent on what experience you like. For $499, I do not see you getting the value back from selling a used R7 like you will from a used V1G2 later on. But members here have been snagging them for around $375 this weekend on Amazon and Best Buy, and that's frankly a ridiculous deal for what the detector offers. So decide what experience you prefer in a detector and go from there. Both are great options and are sure to keep you well protected for years.
I am facing mainly KA band threats in my area, by CHP, local PD's and sheriffs use some K band also. The resale on a valentine I think will be better than an R7 but I really hope I don't regret my purchase, I hear all of your concerns with pairing the phone and all the noises.. I am hoping once I get my settings in place it will end up like an R7..set it and forget it. Hopefully the beeps you are talking about don't drive me nuts.
 

IsItWorthIt

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Joined
Jul 21, 2020
Messages
103
Reaction score
182
Location
Georgia
The beeps have quieted quite a bit with the latest V1 firmware release. Not to say there is no falsing but my wife no longer complains about the noise. They require a moment of your attention but it doesn’t take too long to know a false from LEO
 

Tony713HTX

Learning to Drive
General User
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
30
Reaction score
31
The beeps have quieted quite a bit with the latest V1 firmware release. Not to say there is no falsing but my wife no longer complains about the noise. They require a moment of your attention but it doesn’t take too long to know a false from LEO
The only time I have been getting falses is when I go to Walmart, H-E-B, or pass by certain vehicles.
 

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
94,724
Messages
1,442,437
Members
24,258
Latest member
Tonyz3
Top