Should I upgrade to V1 Gen 2 or Wait for Theia?

elantra04

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Isnt the R7 equal to the G2 on KA? And it blows the G2 away on K. Also, $375 vs $500. Seems the only reason to buy a G2 these days is if you want to run JBV1. VR’s refusal to fix their K issue is extremely frustrating. It’s been out for over a year.

kmac

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I’ve owned both the R7 and the G2. I run the G2 as my primary and a R3 in my wife’s car with an R1 for backup.
My choice is the G2 hands down over the R7
I’ve had no issues with K band and encounter it often in central FL from locals and sheriffs deputy’s. FSP is all Ka and laser

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Isnt the R7 equal to the G2 on KA? And it blows the G2 away on K. Also, $375 vs $500. Seems the only reason to buy a G2 these days is if you want to run JBV1. VR’s refusal to fix their K issue is extremely frustrating. It’s been out for over a year.
Actually the R7 can almost hang with the V1G2 on Ka band until you dial in some off axis, then the V1G2 pulls ahead by quite a bit on the really tough alerts. You have to make the V1G2 work really hard to see what it's made of! On K band the R7 will crush the V1G2, plain and simple! The V1G2 is much quieter on K band however so it depends on what you want. I agree, it's very frustrating to keep waiting for VR to fix K band!

Last edited:

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
What about the Uniden R7? I'm wondering how well it will hold its value? I'm the type to hold on to a radar detector near forever, so I'm looking for long term. Does anyone think the Uniden R7 is still the best radar detector out there, or the V1 Gen2 with JBv1 (I have a iphone so not sure whats the equivalent to that with gps lockouts)?
Hold it's value? look at some of the current sale prices. If you want value retention, traditionally V1 holds up the best.
I got $NZ450 each for two 6 year old plus V1 gen1's.

Saleen556

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I got rid of my R7 for the V1 Gen2. Getting notifications through CarPlay was the main reason. However after running it several months I believe it to be the better detector. I ran the R7 for over a year.

Tony713HTX

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Entirely depends on what experience you are looking for and what your area threats are. Some here would legitimately rather jump off of a bridge to an inevitable end than ever think about using something not made by Valentine. Others here will sooner exchange their keys for a bus pass before they trade their Uniden for another detector. The brand loyalty between these two is particularly fierce.

The actual truth is that both detectors offer different experiences. I own both, and I find that I personally much prefer the Uniden for the experience I want. I don't like tethering my phone to my detector and the glitches that I have personally witnessed from this (such as the initial alert beep for every lockout before it mutes). I personally don't like only having two mute volumes (the R7 has regular volume, the "auto mute" volume at a lower volume as alerts play, and true zero sound mute volume when you press the mute button or go through a lockout zone). I also trust the R7 on K band more, and K band is my most prominent threat. I also use an iPhone, so I speak from the experience of tethering my V1G2 to the iOS apps.

But that doesn't mean the V1G2 is a bad detector at all. It's actually a phenomenal detector, and I still plan on holding onto mine to run in certain circumstances. It's absolutely mind blowing how good the V1G2 is against Ka threats, particularly when you introduce off axis and terrain into the equation. The arrows are better. And despite really not liking the phone interface for what I consider to be core detector functionalities (such as the GPS based stuff), I much prefer changing settings through the app. But at the end of the day, the R7 works better for me day-to-day. It's the same for many users here. And for many other users, the V1G2 is absolutely perfect for what they are looking for.

So you're probably going to get some serious (and possibly heated) responses to this question, but it's entirely dependent on what experience you like. For $499, I do not see you getting the value back from selling a used R7 like you will from a used V1G2 later on. But members here have been snagging them for around $375 this weekend on Amazon and Best Buy, and that's frankly a ridiculous deal for what the detector offers. So decide what experience you prefer in a detector and go from there. Both are great options and are sure to keep you well protected for years.
Thanks for the detailed insight. For me, it has been performance + asset value over time which factors my opinion. Overall, it seems like besides the redline 360 c, the R7 would be 1st pick, but the issue is I see the price dropping overtime (if in this inflation craze I feel like is coming). The V1 I was able to sell for $350 with the v1 le bluetooh attachment, and the one I had before made early into the 90's (over 20 years old) went for $125. Its my assumption that you do need a phone, but the V1 outperforms or keeps up with a R7 in most instances when it is paired with a phone?

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed insight. For me, it has been performance + asset value over time which factors my opinion. Overall, it seems like besides the redline 360 c, the R7 would be 1st pick, but the issue is I see the price dropping overtime (if in this inflation craze I feel like is coming). The V1 I was able to sell for $350 with the v1 le bluetooh attachment, and the one I had before made early into the 90's (over 20 years old) went for $125. Its my assumption that you do need a phone, but the V1 outperforms or keeps up with a R7 in most instances when it is paired with a phone?
The V1G2 doesn't need a phone to outperform an R7 on Ka band, it does that all on its own out of the box. The R7 obliterates the V1G2 (and all other detectors) on K band, but it comes at a price...noise.

The V1G2 needs a phone or connected display to show frequencies of the alerts, but with this configuration it shows far more information than the R7 can on its display (frequencies for all your alerts along with directions for each one). The phone/tablet also enables more features that are linked to GPS, such as E-Savvy, low-speed muting/quiet ride, location based custom profiles (where you can have bands enabled/disabled, custom sweeps for particular locations, Logic modes for particular locations, etc), red light and speed camera location alerts, crowd sourced alerts...things like that.

So basically in order to get the GPS features that you get with the R7, you need a phone app on the V1G2, but with that you get many more features that the R7 isn't capable of.

Tony713HTX

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
The V1G2 doesn't need a phone to outperform an R7 on Ka band, it does that all on its own out of the box. The R7 obliterates the V1G2 (and all other detectors) on K band, but it comes at a price...noise.

The V1G2 needs a phone or connected display to show frequencies of the alerts, but with this configuration it shows far more information than the R7 can on its display (frequencies for all your alerts along with directions for each one). The phone/tablet also enables more features that are linked to GPS, such as E-Savvy, low-speed muting/quiet ride, location based custom profiles (where you can have bands enabled/disabled, custom sweeps for particular locations, Logic modes for particular locations, etc), red light and speed camera location alerts, crowd sourced alerts...things like that.

So basically in order to get the GPS features that you get with the R7, you need a phone app on the V1G2, but with that you get many more features that the R7 isn't capable of.
Oh I see. So I'm a iPhone user. I do have a old Android phone with JBV1 when I was running my V1G1, but I dont really like the issue with hotspoting my phone, making sure a 2nd phone is charged, etc. Is it better to use the v1 driver app (id like something where it can work in the background, like waze, or will I have to succumb to using a android phone?

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
Oh I see. So I'm a iPhone user. I do have a old Android phone with JBV1 when I was running my V1G1, but I dont really like the issue with hotspoting my phone, making sure a 2nd phone is charged, etc. Is it better to use the v1 driver app (id like something where it can work in the background, like waze, or will I have to succumb to using a android phone?
I don't use V1 Driver as my only iPhone is for work and I don't like to use it for anything other than basic communications related to work.

Others report very good things about V1 Driver, but I do know it doesn't do all of the things I listed.

You just have to decide what features you find most desirable and then choose from there.

IsItWorthIt

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I purchased my V1 in July 2020. In that time I’ve seen only one legitimate LEO running K band. All other K alerts have been falses. I’ve seen a lot of comments about the R7 dominating on K, but what does that mean? Since real K threats are so infrequent where I drive it would mean doing a better job filtering the falses.
The V1 used to be pretty chatty but I found the latest update has made it much quieter. I’ve never used an R7 (I’d like to try one and thought about picking one up on the current Amazon deals) so I’m not going to comment on its performance. But I really like the V1.

Tony713HTX

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I purchased my V1 in July 2020. In that time I’ve seen only one legitimate LEO running K band. All other K alerts have been falses. I’ve seen a lot of comments about the R7 dominating on K, but what does that mean? Since real K threats are so infrequent where I drive it would mean doing a better job filtering the falses.
The V1 used to be pretty chatty but I found the latest update has made it much quieter. I’ve never used an R7 (I’d like to try one and thought about picking one up on the current Amazon deals) so I’m not going to comment on its performance. But I really like the V1.
Nice. Are you running the v1 driver or jbv1 app?

Marcodo

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Similar boat as you. Had nothing and waited long enough for the Theia. Have an apple phone so the JB app wasn't going to work for me. Wanted something price efficient but still good enough to hold me through the Theia release and evaluation period. When the R7 dropped below $400 it was a no brainer for me

IsItWorthIt

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Nice. Are you running the v1 driver or jbv1 app?
I started with V1 Driver because I didn’t have an Android phone. Shortly thereafter my son upgraded his phone so I took his old Galaxy S7 (cracked screen and all) and have been using JBV1 since September. JBV1 is a game changer and I’ve used it mostly for the basic and obvious features. However, I recently added a couple profiles for different scenarios and added a couple location based settings. I also added the WzSabre plugin but have yet to really see that function to its full potential.

elantra04

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I started with V1 Driver because I didn’t have an Android phone. Shortly thereafter my son upgraded his phone so I took his old Galaxy S7 (cracked screen and all) and have been using JBV1 since September. JBV1 is a game changer and I’ve used it mostly for the basic and obvious features. However, I recently added a couple profiles for different scenarios and added a couple location based settings. I also added the WzSabre plugin but have yet to really see that function to its full potential.

It’s truly revolutionary. I can only imagine if it could eventually be paired with Theia, although many of the features I use it for wouldn’t be needed with Theia (if in fact Theia is released and does what it’s manufacturer says it will do wrt only alerting to real LE activity)

IsItWorthIt

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
It’s truly revolutionary. I can only imagine if it could eventually be paired with Theia, although many of the features I use it for wouldn’t be needed with Theia (if in fact Theia is released and does what it’s manufacturer says it will do wrt only alerting to real LE activity)
Just recently one of the radenso guys said they built Thea to work with JBV1 out of the box. Sounds like a powerful combination.

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I mostly agree with @Rags. My only disagreement is that the R7 "obliterates" G2 on K band. In some situations it might outperform it by a little. If your primary threat is K then maybe R7 could work better but if not G2 is superior in nearly every other way in my use. Keep in mind that little bit of K band reactivity improvement isn't free. If you become desensitized from BSm chatter you can still miss a legit shot.

BLS7

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
What about the Uniden R7? I'm wondering how well it will hold its value? I'm the type to hold on to a radar detector near forever, so I'm looking for long term. Does anyone think the Uniden R7 is still the best radar detector out there, or the V1 Gen2 with JBv1 (I have a iphone so not sure whats the equivalent to that with gps lockouts)?
I have an R7 and like it. It saved me over the Easter Weekend on C/O Ka.
The range is excellent.

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
FAIR POINT !!!!!

I own/use/test BOTH units and They BOTH ARE SUPERIOR Detectors !!!!!
For the above-mentioned reasons.

R7 just play
V1G2 just JBV1

😉😉🤗🤗🤓🤓😎😎

They BOYH [email protected] If my area is I/O
K I definitely run R7
If it DD and Local ... Same

Trip V1G2 👍👍

I DOOOO like the slimmer form factor of my V1G2. Looks more stealth and more like a mirror extension !!

Good Luck with your choice(s).

Benzr

spanky

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
My suggestion would to get a detector that you can trust to meet your req now, today. Waiting on Theia to be released seems foolhardy at best. When its fully tested released and reviewed is when I would consider buying one if I were in the market, I wont be as I am very happy with what I have. Theia at the end of the day may turn out to be the best of the best, we are all pulling for them to be just this but as of today Theia does not exist except for being tested in house by its inhouse developer. LEO radar threats are present today. I would act accordingly which is exactly what I did last June.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kidnapper49