Should I upgrade to V1 Gen 2 or Wait for Theia?

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Personally, if you have no protection now, I'd buy the V1G2. We still don't know for sure when Theia will be available. If you buy the V1G2 now, like you said, you can always sell it if you decide to get Theia later. V1G2s will most likely hold their value well, so you won't be losing too much money if you go this route.

DrHow

Going Plaid+ (Tesla S). RDT refugee
Banned User
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Personally, if you have no protection now, I'd buy the V1G2. We still don't know for sure when Theia will be available. If you buy the V1G2 now, like you said, you can always sell it if you decide to get Theia later. V1G2s will most likely hold their value well, so you won't be losing too much money if you go this route.
Ditto... @Tony713HTX Suggest buy the G2, never look back (well, until miracle cure appears). I have a decent inventory of RD to use. By my choice and actual road performance of the G2, G2 gets lions share of drive time with me. Naked (no app driving), V1 Driver, JBV1 (road trips).

Last edited:

AllspeedJeff

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I just sold my older v1 with the v1 connection. I am wondering should I buy the gen 2 or holdoff for theia? Or should i buy the v1 gen 2 use it, and sell it once theia comes out? Any advice is appreciated.
I agree with the others in the thread. I’m currently using a V1G2 and it’s amazing. With no availability date on Theia, I wouldn’t risk driving around with no protection.

jcaptchaos2

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I agree with all, buy now, it is a great detector.

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
100% buy the V1G2 now if you're considering it and have no other protection. Valentines notoriously hold their value well, so you could always sell it when Theia comes out for minimal loss should you decide to replace it with Theia.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'd buy my V1G2 all over again in a heartbeat! It's incredible at sniffing out Ka band in any form. In N.C. we are "blessed" with State Troopers who shoot I/O 34.7 and 35.5 99% of the time and my V1G2 eats it up like nothing else I've ever seen! The off axis Ka band this thing picks up can't be explained! You have to see it to believe it! Once VR tweaks K band this detector along with JBV1 will be very hard to beat! I damn sure wouldn't wait around for any other detector!

RoadDogg

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I also agree with everyone above to go ahead and buy the V1G2 so you have some protection. As has been mentioned, The V1G2 will hold its value very well should you decide to sell it once the Theia is available. The V1G2 is an amazing radar detector against Ka, and I am hopeful they can tweak and improve the K-band performance on a future firmware update. I am extremely satisfied with my V1G2.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Gen 2 is here and performing superbly. Theia has been merely a dream for 16 months.
Only one gives protection against speed enforcement.

Filibuster

Chewbacca humidifier
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yeah mang, I pulled the trigger on a new Redline 360c. Theia will probably have bugs to work out as well. Do it!

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yep, I'm in the same camp as everyone else. Get an awesome detector now and it'll give you tons of value/saves. If you want to upgrade to Theia later, awesome. Resell the V1 and get most of your money back, plus you'll gain even better appreciation for your different RD's given your additional experience comparing and using different models.

SaratogaLefty

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who chimed in. Im convinced to go with the v1 gen 2. Any suggestions with it? Im in tx near houston, i believe bluetooth is built in? And looks like its on backorder.
Strongly recommend you consider using with an App (V1 Driver for IOS or JBV1 for Android) and Waze.

porkchop

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
if you need protection now there is only one option out of the two you presented

Tony713HTX

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
What about the Uniden R7? I'm wondering how well it will hold its value? I'm the type to hold on to a radar detector near forever, so I'm looking for long term. Does anyone think the Uniden R7 is still the best radar detector out there, or the V1 Gen2 with JBv1 (I have a iphone so not sure whats the equivalent to that with gps lockouts)?

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
What about the Uniden R7? I'm wondering how well it will hold its value? I'm the type to hold on to a radar detector near forever, so I'm looking for long term. Does anyone think the Uniden R7 is still the best radar detector out there, or the V1 Gen2 with JBv1 (I have a iphone so not sure whats the equivalent to that with gps lockouts)?
Entirely depends on what experience you are looking for and what your area threats are. Some here would legitimately rather jump off of a bridge to an inevitable end than ever think about using something not made by Valentine. Others here will sooner exchange their keys for a bus pass before they trade their Uniden for another detector. The brand loyalty between these two is particularly fierce.

The actual truth is that both detectors offer different experiences. I own both, and I find that I personally much prefer the Uniden for the experience I want. I don't like tethering my phone to my detector and the glitches that I have personally witnessed from this (such as the initial alert beep for every lockout before it mutes). I personally don't like only having two mute volumes (the R7 has regular volume, the "auto mute" volume at a lower volume as alerts play, and true zero sound mute volume when you press the mute button or go through a lockout zone). I also trust the R7 on K band more, and K band is my most prominent threat. I also use an iPhone, so I speak from the experience of tethering my V1G2 to the iOS apps.

But that doesn't mean the V1G2 is a bad detector at all. It's actually a phenomenal detector, and I still plan on holding onto mine to run in certain circumstances. It's absolutely mind blowing how good the V1G2 is against Ka threats, particularly when you introduce off axis and terrain into the equation. The arrows are better. And despite really not liking the phone interface for what I consider to be core detector functionalities (such as the GPS based stuff), I much prefer changing settings through the app. But at the end of the day, the R7 works better for me day-to-day. It's the same for many users here. And for many other users, the V1G2 is absolutely perfect for what they are looking for.

So you're probably going to get some serious (and possibly heated) responses to this question, but it's entirely dependent on what experience you like. For $499, I do not see you getting the value back from selling a used R7 like you will from a used V1G2 later on. But members here have been snagging them for around $375 this weekend on Amazon and Best Buy, and that's frankly a ridiculous deal for what the detector offers. So decide what experience you prefer in a detector and go from there. Both are great options and are sure to keep you well protected for years.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kidnapper49