You have a Mazda CX-5 and an R7? What settings work?

Maz3

Don't hate me just because I'm beautiful 🀣
Intermediate User
Reaction score
These settings work great from the last firmware but not on this latest firmware. That is what I was using with my CX5 2017 before and worked great.

K Narrow
Advanced K 70
Rear horn sensitivity 60%
K Filter off
TSF off
MRCD On
Quiet Ride 30 mph
K Block On

With the new firmware setting the rear horn at 60% is not enough to suppress on board BSM. Rear horn is just too sensitive as shown by poor arrow transition even with mildly suppressing it
I've loaded 1.33 with @SixPackABS settings, with the current database. I'll given them a whirl and report back. I'm surprised K Filter is off, but no harm in trying the settings as is. 🀞:pray:

If it doesn't work, next step is to block the rear antenna completely with foil (leftover from the hat I made :laugh: ) and try 1.35 again. I think the solution is quite easy, and that is for Uniden to add K Block 3 for 24.123/4...

Last edited:

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I've loaded 1.33 with @SixPackABS settings, with the current database. I'll given them a whirl and report back. I'm surprised K Filter is off, but no harm in trying the settings as is. 🀞:pray:

If it doesn't work, next step is to block the rear antenna completely with foil (leftover from the hat I made :laugh: ) and try 1.35 again. I think the solution is quite easy, and that is for Uniden to add K Block 3 for 24.123/4...
I would recommend K Filter On, there is no performance downside on 133 to it.
If K Filter off is a CX-5 fix, again it will have compromises against other BSMs.
Have you tried rear antenna at 30%, and K @30-50%?
That would still give you Ka rear detection with decent front K .
Before resorting to the tinfoil fix suggested by some crazy...

Maz3

Intermediate User
Reaction score
I would recommend K Filter On, there is no performance downside on 133 to it.
If K Filter off is a CX-5 fix, again it will have compromises against other BSMs.
Have you tried rear antenna at 30%, and K @30-50%?
That would still give you Ka rear detection with decent front K .
Before resorting to the tinfoil fix suggested by some crazy...
Yes, turned K and rear antenna down to 30% each - still triggered to rear almost constantly. I'll run 1.33 with K Filter on since there's no downside.

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yes, turned K and rear antenna down to 30% each - still triggered to rear almost constantly. I'll run 1.33 with K Filter on since there's no downside.
You got yourself a radioactive car my friend.
LEO will spot you in the dark before me.
LOL, will you be my rabbit? :p

YelloEye

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Running 60/60 yesterday was mint. Today not so much, falsed when next to other cars seemingly randomly. Trying 50/60. Still on 135.

Maz3

Intermediate User
Reaction score
1.33 performed similarly to 1.35; Rear 24.123/4 despite turning K and Rear all the way down.

It's too bad Uniden doesn't have a K notch for that frequency like @Mithheru has built into his NZ International Fw 1.37 R7 firmware.

Tomorrow will be tinfoil hat sacrifice to block the rear antenna on fw 1.35.

YelloEye

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
50/60 still occasionally falsed, sometimes randomly guess I'll be going lower.

In better news, this thing has silly long KA reception.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
1.33 performed similarly to 1.35; Rear 24.123/4 despite turning K and Rear all the way down.

It's too bad Uniden doesn't have a K notch for that frequency like @Mithheru has built into his NZ International Fw 1.37 R7 firmware.

Do you want to try the International firmware, I can build you a version? My feeling though is that the 24.123/4 is also likely to impact your K sensitivity (i.e. signal noise ratio). Ka should be fine. I think in your case, there is no harm in having a full K block for 24.123/4. Practically speaking you are never going to be able to tell the difference between a genuine K hit, and a false from your Mazda. I would accept the risk at the sake of restoring some sanity.

However, your sensitivity to other K sources on 137 International will still be affected by the noise from your Mazda even if it is filtered out. By analogy it's, really like trying to have a quiet conversation with your mum on the phone whilst attending a heavy metal concert.

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I could see reactivity times being affected then.
If the heartbeat pauses while filtering the CX-5 a new signal takee longer to alert as the detector is working.
Some report even Ka delays when receiving a BSM the detector is struggling with.
That's some good info about the noise floor when you bring along your own BSM.

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

So rear K Mute On, K% to suit your environment, and Tin Foil over rear sensor area.
Do you need me to mail you some Heat Resistant sticky one side tape?
I get rolls of it at auto stores like Lordco for under hood heat reflective for snowmobiles, truck from turbos etc.
PM me if you need some without buying a roll.
Post automatically merged:

PXL_20210405_164600252.jpg

SixPackABS

Advanced User
Reaction score

R7 with attenuated rear horn for Mazda CX-5​

@hiddencam has a better install.

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

R7 with attenuated rear horn for Mazda CX-5​

@hiddencam has a better install.
I beg to differ.
That was long before we had rear horn % adjustment.
All he was doing there was reducing rear horn % by the amount of layers of absorbent materials.
Some CX-5 seem to have a very powerful BSM while others can be dealt with.
If @Max3 can't run K 30% and Rear Antenna 30%, then not much hope for any attenuation of the rear horn, other than blocking it off.

Maz3

Intermediate User
Reaction score
It's getting to the point that I might have to give up on the R7/CX-5 concept, and donate @DC Fluid my CX-5 to be part of his ever expanding radar testing kit.

Then I'll find a new car to support my R7.

My wife says my priorities are screwed up sometimes, but I don't see her point. 😜

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
It's getting to the point that I might have to give up on the R7/CX-5 concept, and donate @DC Fluid my CX-5 to be part of his ever expanding radar testing kit.

Then I'll find a new car to support my R7.

My wife says my priorities are screwed up sometimes, but I don't see her point. 😜
Here is your free fix for now.
Until you get a K Block firmware that is.

Go into kitchen, get some aluminum foil.
Open detector up with the 4 little screws.
Stuff foil into rear horn, maybe a little tape over it to keep in place.
Here I have pictures of fitting my heat reflective tape, that can just stick over the horn opening.

When you receive a K Block firmware, then remove it.
Enjoy R7 Firmware 135.
πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ‘
PXL_20210405_181119923.jpg
PXL_20210405_181123687.jpg
PXL_20210405_181137782.jpg

Maz3

Intermediate User
Reaction score
Here is your free fix for now.
Until you get a K Block firmware that is.

Go into kitchen, get some aluminum foil.
Open detector up with the 4 little screws.
Stuff foil into rear horn, maybe a little tape over it to keep in place.
Here I have pictures of fitting my heat reflective tape, that can just stick over the horn opening.

When you receive a K Block firmware, then remove it.
Enjoy R7 Firmware 135.
πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ‘ View attachment 176460 View attachment 176461 View attachment 176462
We should change this thread to, "Convert your R7 to an R3" 🀣

Tthe concept of covering the rear horn with a metallic shield effectively disables the rear horn completely, making my R7 an R3, but solving my problem. 😜

If I cut a hole in the metallic shield slightly smaller than the wavelength of 24.125 GHz, it would act as a waveguide high pass filter, allowing higher frequencies through such as Ka band.

The wavelength of Ka is much smaller than K, so there wouldn't be a need for high precision measuring in theory.

This would allow arrow function (maybe even the higher K band frequencies) to remain for the Ka band frequencies, while blocking lower frequencies generated by my CX-5 from entering the rear horn.

Off to experiment! I am also interested in trying @Mithheru firmware to find the best solution.

See that tinfoil hat does work. 🀣

Last edited:

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Tthe concept of covering the rear horn with a metallic shield effectively disables the rear horn completely, making my R7 an R3, but solving my problem. 😜
Sort of, but the R7 does have some benefits despite blocking the rear horn.
More range.
More K Block and filtering options.
Auto Mute Memory can get populated until you get a K Block firmware
Better BSM filtering.

AND the MRCD trick to filter Other People's CX-5, just not yours.
LOL.
Post automatically merged:

If I cut a hole in the metallic shield slightly smaller than the wavelength of 24.125 GHz, it would act as a waveguide high pass filter, allowing higher frequencies through such as Ka band.
Come now, your just getting silly about this.πŸ˜‰

Last edited:

rwsmith123

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Can you turn the BSM feature off on the CX-5 and use your mirrors?

Maz3

Intermediate User
Reaction score
Can you turn the BSM feature off on the CX-5 and use your mirrors?
Yes, but I lose the 10% discount on my car insurance for having BSM. The fine print is very clear that my coverage is void if I have a collision and my BSM is disabled.

I've run for years wo a RD, and only jumped on the R7 when the price tanked. If I can't get it to work, I'll gladly sell the R7.

Until then, I like the tech and making things work 😁

rwsmith123

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yes, but I lose the 10% discount on my car insurance for having BSM. The fine print is very clear that my coverage is void if I have a collision and my BSM is disabled.

I've run for years wo a RD, and only jumped on the R7 when the price tanked. If I can't get it to work, I'll gladly sell the R7.

Until then, I like the tech and making things work 😁

Keep the insurance discount, sell the R7 and add both to the Theia fund 😁

Actually I just got an R7 and like it so far, good luck getting it to work with the CX-5

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kidnapper49