How come the latest Uniden R7 firmware isn't on the Uniden web site?

WhiskyTangoFoxtrot

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this question is already out there somewhere, but is it just me or is the newest firmware for the Uniden R7 NOT on their web site? I got it from Vortex and this site, but I just don't understand why it isn't on the Uniden support page for their radar detectors yet. I love the latest update I'm not sure why it's not there. It's super quiet, I've had some very good Ka-band detections with it. The auto-lockouts are working great. I know the screen shot I took only shows the R3 updates but all that's there for the R7 as the latest is a database update, so that's why I used that screenshot. What gives?

Uniden WTF.jpg

Bossdad71

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
i think @Vortex did a video saying the same thing. if you need it, i think there is a link tom put up.. ill try and find it
Post automatically merged:

here you go brother, see if that link works

GeekNJ

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
My take... Folks who come here to the forum and stay are typically enthusiasts vs "Joe Consumer" and more willing to load and use something that isn't 100% complete. I recall Vortex indicating in his video on this firmware that the algorithm and logic around auto lockouts is still being tweaked but it was good enough to go ahead and release. Maybe Uniden will see if it is good enough for the general public or if they want to hold off for further adjustments.

I'm glad they allowed the firmware update to be released to us.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I’m very surprised about this too. I asked our contact at Uniden about this earlier and he said he was gonna check again with their web guy, but I don’t know why it’s still not up there either.

Bossdad71

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I’m very surprised about this too. I asked our contact at Uniden about this earlier and he said he was gonna check again with their web guy, but I don’t know why it’s still not up there either.
How many times have we heard that line? Always blaming or checking with the other guy. How about you go to the cubical next to yours and ask him right now, I'll wait. ( :

fitz4321

Running With Scissors
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I mentioned this in another thread, but I have the feeling the RDF users are being used as “public beta testers”. It’s not a bad thing; but if that is what is happening it would be better if it was just said that way.

Bossdad71

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I mentioned this in another thread, but I have the feeling the RDF users are being used as “public beta testers”. It’s not a bad thing; but if that is what is happening it would be better if it was just said that way.
good point

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yeah I love the idea of releasing firmwares early on RDF and doing some more beta testing here. From what I’ve been told, this isn’t supposed to be a beta firmware just for RDF in this particular case.

user

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I would just be happy that we got something. Uniden, at the management level, is one messed up company, but the company that built the R7 for them did a good job. As far as any support for their products........well just be happy you have something here from them.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
If they did decide to do an RDF only-We'll call it a release candidate build-I think it's a really good choice by Uniden. It makes a lot of sense to have a small amount of beta testers so there's not too much noise during the early stages of a firmware build but then opening it up a little bit after most of the bugs are worked out as more people that are at least more educated than the general public on Radar detectors can find the issues that beta testers missed. It's kind of like using a coarse filter first and then a finer filter.

user

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
If they did decide to do an RDF only-We'll call it a release candidate build-I think it's a really good choice by Uniden. It makes a lot of sense to have a small amount of beta testers so there's not too much noise during the early stages of a firmware build but then opening it up a little bit after most of the bugs are worked out as more people that are at least more educated than the general public on Radar detectors can find the issues that beta testers missed. It's kind of like using a coarse filter first and then a finer filter.
I sort of agree with you, but if that was what they were doing common courtesy and common sense says that you (if you were Uniden) would tell the people that you are having beta test your new firmware that that is what you are doing. I honestly don’t think that is what they were doing though because that would take planning and discussion and they (Uniden) don’t do that.

WhiskyTangoFoxtrot

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I was only asking because I loaded the firmware for a friend of mine whose computer recently took a dive, so I checked the web site before I did "just in case" there happened to be any updates to the latest firmware only to find that version 1.35 is nowhere to be seen on the Uniden web page. So...I just loaded his with the same firmware I have on mine. If they're testing it out on us, I have nothing but good things to say about it so far.

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for this to show up on their website as well before upgrading.
It's, more or less, a Beta FW. It might never make it there.

Try it if your interested... if you don't like it.... you have the option to roll back to another FW your more comfortable with. It won't break it.

I'm assuming it's only here for the feed back. Also for the discussion from enthusiasts that have the ability to test and work through some hiccup's.

I personally don't think it's 100% ready for primetime yet.... so I wouldn't want to release it to the general public just yet. Bad press travels faster than good news.

Bocephus

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
All I can say is I guess I’m glad to be near the water cooler at work.

RadarScout

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
After all the handwringing and gnashing of teeth the past few months, I'm glad they answered the call and put this out for us. It seems to be quite an improvement for most here. We know that "tweaks" are SOP with modern detectors, so I'm just glad we get to be a part of the process. The R7 owner you pass on the road will probably be in the dark about improvements at this point.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dk919