Highway Radar Capabilites?

1KWIKBMR

Learning to Drive
Premium Plus
General User
Reaction score
So I only found out about Highwau Tadar last week, and got the app set up, and Sabre plugin wzSABRE installed. I haven't had much chance to play around with it and test it out.

That said, I'm driving from NC to TX and back in a week, and was wondering what the apps capabilities are I might be missing?

I saw a post somewhere, and an option I think, about allowing map overlays? What is this? Is there a way I can overlay my routing from Waze over my heat map in Highway Radar?

Anybody familiar enough with the app to give me a quick crash course?

ferius

More arrows please
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Hi, for x-country ensure you have found and understood the following features:
  • Police crowd-sourced alerts (obviously)
  • Aircraft alerts
  • Heat maps
  • Risk scores
  • Weather radar (if you're planning driving through rainy areas)
Also, I recommend going through settings, and ensure you understand each of them. If you don't -- search here on the forum. If you can't find -- start a thread, this will help everyone else who is also confused.

Map overlays are accessible from the in-drive menu (a button in the bottom right corner when the app is running). There are 3 map overlays:
  • Heat maps
  • Weather radar
  • Traffic jams
You can use these overlays together if you have "Show at most one map overlay" disabled in the Display settings.

You can't overlay Highway Radar on top of Waze; however, you can either use split-screen, or PIP mode. Also, for long stretches, you might want using navigation app from background (not sure if Waze supports this, but GMaps supports it for sure).

1KWIKBMR

Learning to Drive
Premium Plus
General User
Reaction score
Thanks @ferius.

So, all of those options are on, but does it pull all the traffic and roadway threat info, crowd-sourced alerts, etc, from WzSabre?

Is there some software in HR itself that is looking at airplane info, or do I need to enable/install something else? Is that coming from WzSabre too?

I thought I read the risk scores would be scaled 1-25, but mine seem to be on a 1-10 scale?

I had HR open with Waze in the background and Waze was still giving me turn by turn directions, so it appears it will work from the background for nav.

I'll do some searching, thanks.

ferius

More arrows please
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Thanks @ferius.

So, all of those options are on, but does it pull all the traffic and roadway threat info, crowd-sourced alerts, etc, from WzSabre?

Is there some software in HR itself that is looking at airplane info, or do I need to enable/install something else? Is that coming from WzSabre too?

I thought I read the risk scores would be scaled 1-25, but mine seem to be on a 1-10 scale?

I had HR open with Waze in the background and Waze was still giving me turn by turn directions, so it appears it will work from the background for nav.

I'll do some searching, thanks.

I suggest not only, turning these features on, but also understand how they're configured, and how to use them. Ideally, there should be no item in settings that you don't fully understand. Highway Radar is quite a complex, yet quite customizable tool. Think of it as of a professional instrument - you need to spend some time to learn, how to properly use it. In exchange you're getting a superior protection, much better than any solution working straight out of the box (e.g. Waze itself).

SABRE is for crowdsourced alerts only (police and road hazards), everything else is built-in and works regardless of SABRE plugin presence. If you have SABRE installed (green checkmark on the start screen), then crowdsourced data is received from SABRE.

Risk score model can be switched in Settings -> Risk scores. There are 10-score and 25-score models available. 10-score is much easier to interpret. 25-model is difficult to interpret, but gives much better granularity.

Glad that Waze works this way. I'm not familiar with these aspects as I run these Waze/GMaps on AAuto and HwR on the phone itself.

Subzerore

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Very interesting info I'm definitely going to be changing settings to.
Post automatically merged:

I suggest not only, turning these features on, but also understand how they're configured, and how to use them. Ideally, there should be no item in settings that you don't fully understand. Highway Radar is quite a complex, yet quite customizable tool. Think of it as of a professional instrument - you need to spend some time to learn, how to properly use it. In exchange you're getting a superior protection, much better than any solution working straight out of the box (e.g. Waze itself).

SABRE is for crowdsourced alerts only (police and road hazards), everything else is built-in and works regardless of SABRE plugin presence. If you have SABRE installed (green checkmark on the start screen), then crowdsourced data is received from SABRE.

Risk score model can be switched in Settings -> Risk scores. There are 10-score and 25-score models available. 10-score is much easier to interpret. 25-model is difficult to interpret, but gives much better granularity.

Glad that Waze works this way. I'm not familiar with these aspects as I run these Waze/GMaps on AAuto and HwR on the phone itself.
I'm so used to running google maps myself so I'm pretty new as well. It seems like a very promising app though

Last edited:

1KWIKBMR

Learning to Drive
Premium Plus
General User
Reaction score
Very interesting info I'm definitely going to be changing settings to.
Post automatically merged:

I'm so used to running google maps myself so I'm pretty new as well. It seems like a very promising app though
From the time I made the first post in this thread to now I've literally driven 10,000 miles.

From NC to TX and back, to all 8 NC lighthouses, from NC to KY and back, and a couple NC mountain day trips.

I've used HwR+Waze for the entirety of it and it has been spot on, I don't know how I ever drove without it.

The only issue I've had was a speed camera on North 32 in TN, just off I-81. I didn't get alerted from HwR or Waze until I was in the kill zone, and at 72mph in a 55 I'm pretty sure it got me.

EpicFailings

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
From the time I made the first post in this thread to now I've literally driven 10,000 miles.

From NC to TX and back, to all 8 NC lighthouses, from NC to KY and back, and a couple NC mountain day trips.

I've used HwR+Waze for the entirety of it and it has been spot on, I don't know how I ever drove without it.

The only issue I've had was a speed camera on North 32 in TN, just off I-81. I didn't get alerted from HwR or Waze until I was in the kill zone, and at 72mph in a 55 I'm pretty sure it got me.
I know this is from May, but did it get you?

1KWIKBMR

Learning to Drive
Premium Plus
General User
Reaction score
I know this is from May, but did it get you?
I never got anything in the mail. I was side-by-side with a truck pulling a boat. Idk if they can decipher who was speeding or if that had anything to do with it at all, but I consider it a win.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdubz