Uniden DIY Hardwire kit

stefan370

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I've recived my R3, about 2 days ago, but my hardwire kit is undeliverable, and they say i'll get my money back, hopefully.

Then, i've started thinking if it is possible to make one myself. I've googled it, and this video came up

I've done pretty much exactly what the dude explained there. I've checked a million times with the multimeter, to see if the polarity is correct.

When i went to connect my R3 , with the wire that i made, the front buttons flashed for about 2 sec, and then they shut down. And i think they could've done this all day, if i wouldn't have unplugged it.

Fortunately, my detector seems to be working just fine, after i plugged it, with the cigar socket that it came with.

Had anyone tryed to make a DIY Hardwire kit for Uniden Radar Detectors ?

Had anyone encountered this ?

DifferentialT

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
I did not try to order one from Uniden for my R7. You can buy one from Amazon for 10.95. Available on eBay for a few dollars more.

Mythic01

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I really do enjoy the Uniden official hardwire cable. The included mute button can be positioned ontop of the steering wheel for easy muting without having to reach for the detector. Double tap the mute button and it'll save a mute memory also. Can't recommend it enough.

stefan370

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Yeah, I’ve ordered the original kit, with the mute button, but it was not available. I don’t really want to order another one,because of the shipping time to Europe

Mythic01

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yeah, I’ve ordered the original kit, with the mute button, but it was not available. I don’t really want to order another one,because of the shipping time to Europe
Ah, I see. That sounds like a hassle.
I'd suggest looking for European sellers for non-Uniden branded cables on places like Amazon then,
or, this shop sells a RJ11 hardwire for another radar detector brand which I would imagine would work just fine-

DChiJEllis

Moderator Emeritus/Lifetime Contributor🇺🇸🇳🇴🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Trollstigen, Lysevegen og Atlanterhavsveien
This is a great option.

Safe-N-Sound Uniden R Series Hardwire Cable Ordering:
  • Options:
    • Mute Button: Yes or No. (Yes, provide a remote mute button or No, do not provide a mute button).
    • Mute Button Type: Round or Flat square. I recommend the round one.
    • Power LED: (none | Red | Blue) You can ask for a separate remote Alert LED. Not required, but is a fantastic addition to be able to install it on your dash or instrument cluster to let you know if your detector is powered on or not. Especially useful if running an R series detector in Dark mode.
    • Cable Length Options:
      • Hardwire to Detector Cord Length (in feet)
      • Mute Switch Cord Length (in feet)
      • Power LED indicator Cord Length (in feet)
Links for Purchase of a Custom Hardwire Cable:

Dolphin

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I used a phone extender cable to make one for my LRD950. That's before I learned that hardwire cables can be ordered. It worked well. But I think that ordering a proper one is a better solution.

DifferentialT

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Understand. I don't how Amazon Prime shipping works going to Romania anyway, might not have been worth your time to begin with. They have the Uniden hardwire kit RDA-HDWKT @ 28.90 US.

YelloEye

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I've recived my R3, about 2 days ago, but my hardwire kit is undeliverable, and they say i'll get my money back, hopefully.

Then, i've started thinking if it is possible to make one myself. I've googled it, and this video came up

I've done pretty much exactly what the dude explained there. I've checked a million times with the multimeter, to see if the polarity is correct.

When i went to connect my R3 , with the wire that i made, the front buttons flashed for about 2 sec, and then they shut down. And i think they could've done this all day, if i wouldn't have unplugged it.

Fortunately, my detector seems to be working just fine, after i plugged it, with the cigar socket that it came with.

Had anyone tryed to make a DIY Hardwire kit for Uniden Radar Detectors ?

Had anyone encountered this ?
Hey, so I know this thread is about a month old. But did you get this sorted? Sounds to me like the detector wasn't getting enough amperage, what did you have the other end of the cable hooked up to and what gauge wires are inside that cable?

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kidnapper49