NC LIDAR Tactics

cfdrift34

PSL +5.... ish
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I was just looking at RDFGS, and a lot of the information is very outdated... Has anyone seen rear shots from LEOs in the Charlotte to Mooresville area?

oversteer325

Caution, Anchor May Drop Suddenly
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I don't get up that way much anymore except occasionally on I-77. Never been hit with laser through that area of I-77. @oversteer325, any observations?
I’m up that way a couple times per month but enforcement has been really light over the past few months. Most trips have been silent.
I’ve mostly seen I/O KA band and they love on ramps. So I’m always cautious if I don’t have a rabbit. If you really want to make good time the express lanes are wide open and have a higher speed limit so even when your over the limit you have an extra 5mph cushion.
I don’t have jammers so I can’t confirm I haven’t been hit with Lidar.
Anytime they run Lidar
with chase vehicles it’s marked on Waze.

Yippeekyaa

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Drive through that area a couple times a month on 77 from all the way north at the Va/nc border to south of rock hill. Never experienced any laser. Noticed a few c/o ka band lazy nchp and very light to non existent enforcement from I40/statesville are to the north. Take it easy on the lower speed limit in that section btw, the local leos make their payroll on that section. Like @oversteer325 stated, use that express lane its well worth it and a big time saver.

Z06fan

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I’m up that way a couple times per month but enforcement has been really light over the past few months. Most trips have been silent.
I’ve mostly seen I/O KA band and they love on ramps. So I’m always cautious if I don’t have a rabbit. If you really want to make good time the express lanes are wide open and have a higher speed limit so even when your over the limit you have an extra 5mph cushion.
I don’t have jammers so I can’t confirm I haven’t been hit with Lidar.
Anytime they run Lidar
with chase vehicles it’s marked on Waze.
Thanks. I didn't realize the toll lanes had a higher speed limit.

GotWake

Speed Kills
Advanced User
Reaction score
I don’t go through there that much. I’ve only seen front shots in that area when I see it. BUT, I’ve been hit several times in NC with rear LIDAR. You will eventually get hit in the rear.

cfdrift34

PSL +5.... ish
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I don’t go through there that much. I’ve only seen front shots in that area when I see it. BUT, I’ve been hit several times in NC with rear LIDAR. You will eventually get hit in the rear.
What areas have you been hit in the rear?
Post automatically merged:

Drive through that area a couple times a month on 77 from all the way north at the Va/nc border to south of rock hill. Never experienced any laser. Noticed a few c/o ka band lazy nchp and very light to non existent enforcement from I40/statesville are to the north. Take it easy on the lower speed limit in that section btw, the local leos make their payroll on that section. Like @oversteer325 stated, use that express lane its well worth it and a big time saver.
I've had the 77 express pass since they opened it.. Initially got it because they had done such a terrible job of paving the normal lanes and I was sick of bending wheels. I have yet to actually see how the all white Ford SUV LEOs are getting speed, as they don't set off my jammers or Redline-O. I guess they could be doing rear shots, but I look into their cars every time I pass and they're just sitting there, no LIDAR gun in sight.

In regards to the local LEOs... I hear ya! I live in the Harrisburg area, and Harrisburg is one place in NC I absolutely will not speed. They're ruthless.

Last edited:

Sky1

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
My only Lidar ticket was from behind and was in Wake Forest on Capital Blvd about 5 years ago. They were up on a bridge and fired down at my car. I got the whole thing on dashcam video. V1 went off, I didn't even pay attention as I was on the phone and didn't think I was speeding.
The cop was really nice and was not a tense situation at all. They later raised the PSL there. Ticket cost cost me around $200 (71 in a 55) Was pretty much a non-issue.

Last edited:

GotWake

Speed Kills
Advanced User
Reaction score
What areas have you been hit in the rear?
Post automatically merged:

I've had the 77 express pass since they opened it.. Initially got it because they had done such a terrible job of paving the normal lanes and I was sick of bending wheels. I have yet to actually see how the all white Ford SUV LEOs are getting speed, as they don't set off my jammers or Redline-O. I guess they could be doing rear shots, but I look into their cars every time I pass and they're just sitting there, no LIDAR gun in sight.

In regards to the local LEOs... I hear ya! I live in the Harrisburg area, and Harrisburg is one place in NC I absolutely will not speed. They're ruthless.

I saw them one time at exit 36. Mostly it was always near the old rest area north on I77. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen it though.

Sky1

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The girl who cuts my hair just told me she got a ticket in Clayton. She was on I40 and they were up on the bridge, another cop pulled her over and wrote her a ticket.

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
The girl who cuts my hair just told me she got a ticket in Clayton. She was on I40 and they were up on the bridge, another cop pulled her over and wrote her a ticket.
Hahaha. I got hit there too !!

I took the exit and he was in my gas station parking lot looking for the offender. 😟😟

Evidently he didn't iD my car very well 'cause he went past me 4 times searching for his prey.

This was YEARS ago and haven't sped since.
I just talk about what if's in our "sport" our "Hobby" now. 😁😁🤓🤓

Benzr

1KWIKBMR

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
They use teams a lot with Lidar operations. The officer with the gun can't be in motion, so he sits and clocks people and calls out the offenders to other officers and they pull the cars.

I've seen the Gastonia NC police and the Georgia State Troopers using Lidar with a one-man show though.

rwsmith123

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Ugh, saw a cop on Glenwood Ave in Raleigh NW of Crabtree mall catch a bunch of people with laser last night, well it was either laser or there is something seriously wrong with my new R7. He was marked on Waze so I wasn’t speeding but he pulled over the car right in front of me. Not a peep out of the R7. I kept going by the area to see if I could see the unit he was using (I couldn’t). He would be in 1 of 3 spots, would start in the first spot and depending on how quick he got his target pulled over he would then go to one of other two, and then after that would do a u-turn and back up to the first spot. In all cases he was parked perpendicular to the main road with his window down targeting the front of the on coming cars.

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
LAZER

Enough Said 😡😡

Benzr

Sky1

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Haven't had a laser hit since I installed the ALP and kinda feel like a waste of money. I don't really drive fast anyway just wanted them because I can.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coach Ron