Hello From North Carolina

WindyRoad

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hello! I just moved to North Carolina and was warned about the severity of traffic laws here and how you could technically get a criminal citation and one month license suspension for 71 in a 55. I have a Uniden R3 which has suited my needs for the past few years but don't want to take chances with laser anymore.

One question about the laws here: does anyone here know if something goes on your record beyond the original citation if you get a ticket going like 81 in an 80 out of state? I know NC will suspend your license for a month but they can't give you a criminal citation for something that happened in Wyoming, right?

I drive a 2020 VW Golf GTI and am looking at getting an AntiLaser Priority system professionally installed. On AntiLaser's website there are two dealers near Charlotte, Tint Shop NC and Freeman's Car Stereo. Does anyone here have any experience with them or additional suggestions? I saw Tint Shop recommended on this forum when I searched and nothing on Freeman's. Should I just get a fully-loaded laser system or is the TX sensor in the back overkill for a hatchback?

I look forward to contributing to the forum and can hopefully come up with a pretty nice setup to survive driving in this region of the country.

oversteer325

Caution, Anchor May Drop Suddenly
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Lots of us in the Charlotte area. I’m sure someone will have an ALP installer recommendation.

thesilverbullet

Clemson Tigers
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
welcome

Z06fan

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @WindyRoad. Probably our biggest threat in NC is I/O radar use by the NCHP. They're very selective and very good at it. You'll occasionally see some lidar, but in this area, we primarily see radar used. The lidar we do see is mostly PL3's so you won't need a TX head. Georgia is the closest state where more difficult lidar guns are used. If you drive there frequently, you would probably want a TX. I've only ever had RX heads and have always been fine. I drive through GA on my way to Jacksonville, FL fairly often and knock on wood, I've never had any issues.

Regarding installers in the area, Freeman's is primarily a stereo shop so I'm not sure what type of quality install that you would get. I'm also not familiar with the Tint Shop. I actually traveled to Atlanta when I had my installs done because there are a couple shops down there that do a ton of ALP installs. The guy that's done some detailing/ceramic coating for me recommended the Sound Shop in Indian Trail. I'd suggest reaching out to these shops to see how familiar they are with ALP and see if they do any/many installs. I'd also suggest sending Tom at @BestRadarDetectors a PM to see if he has any recommendations in the Charlotte area. Tom is the distributor for ALP in the US and an active member on the forum.

Let me know what area of town you're in and if you're in the South end, I can provide more specifics on departments. Again, welcome!

WindyRoad

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @WindyRoad. Probably our biggest threat in NC is I/O radar use by the NCHP. They're very selective and very good at it. You'll occasionally see some lidar, but in this area, we primarily see radar used. The lidar we do see is mostly PL3's so you won't need a TX head. Georgia is the closest state where more difficult lidar guns are used. If you drive there frequently, you would probably want a TX. I've only ever had RX heads and have always been fine. I drive through GA on my way to Jacksonville, FL fairly often and knock on wood, I've never had any issues.

Regarding installers in the area, Freeman's is primarily a stereo shop so I'm not sure what type of quality install that you would get. I'm also not familiar with the Tint Shop. I actually traveled to Atlanta when I had my installs done because there are a couple shops down there that do a ton of ALP installs. The guy that's done some detailing/ceramic coating for me recommended the Sound Shop in Indian Trail. I'd suggest reaching out to these shops to see how familiar they are with ALP and see if they do any/many installs. I'd also suggest sending Tom at @BestRadarDetectors a PM to see if he has any recommendations in the Charlotte area. Tom is the distributor for ALP in the US and an active member on the forum.

Let me know what area of town you're in and if you're in the South end, I can provide more specifics on departments. Again, welcome!
Thank you for the detailed post! I plan on driving all over the region so a TX sensor might be worth it but I'll have to do more research on the specifics. I live in the northern half of Charlotte (don't want to get too specific) and most commonly go to the mountains on the weekend (either 74 or 321/I-40).
Welcome congrats on the GTI! The R3 will serve you well for what you face, just make sure to use a rabbit.
Thank you, it's been a fantastic car so far for what I need.

RoadDogg

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
@WindyRoad , Welcome to the Forum from Tennessee!! The R3 is a great radar detector which should serve you well in the challenging radar threats you will face in North Carolina.

Z06fan

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thank you for the detailed post! I plan on driving all over the region so a TX sensor might be worth it but I'll have to do more research on the specifics. I live in the northern half of Charlotte (don't want to get too specific) and most commonly go to the mountains on the weekend (either 74 or 321/I-40).

Thank you, it's been a fantastic car so far for what I need.
Unfortunately, I don't know much about the departments on the North side of the city. We also travel to Western NC / East TN a lot and hope to live there eventually. The NCHP primarily runs I/O radar on 74 and 321. I've never been hit with laser on those roads but have seen Troopers in the median so it's possible they use it there.

If you do decide to go with a TX head, be aware that perfect placement is pretty critical so the install will also be critical. Find someone that knows what they're doing if you decide to go that direction.

milkman

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

1KWIKBMR

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I'm from the Charlotte area too.

I used the Tint Shop for tint on my BMW and was EXTREMELY dissatisfied with his professionalism and his workmanship. I paid another shop to remove his tint, fix the issues he should have, and retint my car.

When it came to installing my ALP system, Freeman's never answered their phone, and I called dozens of times. This was last summer during covid.

I called, and drove to Cartunes in ATL. Their staff was knowledgeable about the system, answered all my questions, returned my calls, and were very attentive throughout the process. I'd recommend spending the day and making a road trip out of it.

That said, I've only been hit with Lidar once since having the system installed, by Prolaser 3 in Gastonia.

I have full Rx/Tx/Rx setups on front and rear of my car.

Blasirl

Bring Order to Chaos
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
America's Dairyland - Smell our Dairy Air!
Hello! I just moved to North Carolina and was warned about the severity of traffic laws here and how you could technically get a criminal citation and one month license suspension for 71 in a 55. I have a Uniden R3 which has suited my needs for the past few years but don't want to take chances with laser anymore.

One question about the laws here: does anyone here know if something goes on your record beyond the original citation if you get a ticket going like 81 in an 80 out of state? I know NC will suspend your license for a month but they can't give you a criminal citation for something that happened in Wyoming, right?

I drive a 2020 VW Golf GTI and am looking at getting an AntiLaser Priority system professionally installed. On AntiLaser's website there are two dealers near Charlotte, Tint Shop NC and Freeman's Car Stereo. Does anyone here have any experience with them or additional suggestions? I saw Tint Shop recommended on this forum when I searched and nothing on Freeman's. Should I just get a fully-loaded laser system or is the TX sensor in the back overkill for a hatchback?

I look forward to contributing to the forum and can hopefully come up with a pretty nice setup to survive driving in this region of the country.
Welcome Aboard!:parrot:

From my point of view, nothing is over kill if you can afford it! I hate tickets!

Last edited:

Sky1

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
If anyone wants to test against LIDAR or Ka Radar around Raleigh let me know

Lars36

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Lots of us in the Charlotte area. I’m sure someone will have an ALP installer recommendation.
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your endeavors to install the protection you need.
I lived in High Point for 3 years.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coach Ron